none
Changing language does nothing

Question

• When I am in the particular forum and want to change language (in particular, I was trying to find abbreviation for Swedish - looks like this language is not supported) nothing happens. My language remains English and the forum's look doesn't change at all.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:01 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• The locale code for Sweden (Swedish) is sv-se. In the language picker page it is shown as Svenska. If you go to a dev center that localizes its content in Swedish (e.g. Windows Store Apps) you can switch to Swedish and see the locale code in the URL.

For historical and practical reasons, not all apps (library, forums, galleries, blogs, wiki) support all languages. However as of about 6 months ago they all share a common language picker. I agree the list of languages presented in the picker should be context sensitive to reflect the capabilities of the app you are viewing.  Interestingly enough, feedback we received when each app had its own customized language picker was that users found it confusing when their preferred language was listed in the language picker in some parts of MSDN but not in others.

• Marked as answer by Naomi NEditor Friday, July 05, 2013 2:18 AM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:16 PM
    Administrator

All replies

• Forums have localized chrome in 18 languages. Swedish is not one of those. So when you chose Swedish the Forums fell back to a language that they do support, which in this case is English. If you choose one of the languages in which forums are localized, you should see the chrome change to that language as expected.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:10 AM
    Administrator
  • If the language is not supported, may be it should not be in the list then?

BTW, what is the right abbreviation for Swedish? Yesterday there was a Swedish article in TechNet and I wanted to add the correct abbreviation, but I could not find it.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:24 PM
    Answerer
  • The locale code for Sweden (Swedish) is sv-se. In the language picker page it is shown as Svenska. If you go to a dev center that localizes its content in Swedish (e.g. Windows Store Apps) you can switch to Swedish and see the locale code in the URL.

For historical and practical reasons, not all apps (library, forums, galleries, blogs, wiki) support all languages. However as of about 6 months ago they all share a common language picker. I agree the list of languages presented in the picker should be context sensitive to reflect the capabilities of the app you are viewing.  Interestingly enough, feedback we received when each app had its own customized language picker was that users found it confusing when their preferred language was listed in the language picker in some parts of MSDN but not in others.

• Marked as answer by Naomi NEditor Friday, July 05, 2013 2:18 AM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:16 PM
    Administrator
  • This article with all the language tags is always hard to find:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/364.wiki-non-english-language-title-guidelines.aspx

As noted, Swedish is sv-SE.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:00 PM
  • Thanks. I am not sure I would find that article now I wanted to change yesterday...

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, July 05, 2013 2:19 AM
    Answerer
  • BTW, unrelated question, but what happened with my MCC label and that label for several other people? Wondering if someone knowing about that program can explain.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, July 05, 2013 2:21 AM
    Answerer
  • I can't offer much help with that, unfortunately.  A separate team manages affiliation status and it's opaque to make.

Doug

Friday, July 05, 2013 4:19 AM
    Administrator
  • I sent email to that program coordinator. I wish there will be some transparency here. In any case, I see it's missing for me and several other deserving people.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, July 05, 2013 4:30 AM
    Answerer