Error When trying to run Unit Tests - Very Annoying

Question

•  

Hi I'm having a bit of a nightmare with unit Tests on my solution in VS 2005. The Solution is a WCF Client server system that runs Locally on my machine. It has currently 45 Projects in it, most of which are Objects  (Data Contracts and Service Contracts) and Services. I have some very explosive objects in the solution and as such the number of Unit tests I've created to test all these objects is starting to get very large ( 14,975 and counting) However when i try and run the unit tests (a small subset (600-3000)) i get a System.OutOfMemoryException. Now this exception happens before any code is even run i can't even get it to complie properly ( i know there is a lot of tests but surely this can't be the probelm i would have thought that other people would have sent the number of unit tests higher than that.)

All i see when the error is thrown is a dialog box with the error message, then the project shuts down. Absolutely nothing happens. Now when I've tried to view whats happing in TaskManager I've seen devenv.exe get about 500,000 K of memory usage but i really don't know why.

If anyone could help in anyway with this please please please do. It's starting to drive me slightly Mad as I can't find any rhyme nor reason for this to be happening.

Thank you for your help

Jim

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:11 PM

Answers

• OK, if you find the course of this or a better solution,  please also let us know so that we can improve the product.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi James

I can understand this is hard to you. I'm not from the product team so I don't know the exact cause of this problem. Would you please try to run tests from command line temporally? You may need to reference MSTest.exe Command-Line Options. If this error message is also displayed even if you run tests from command line, please let me know.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:33 AM
  • Thanks for the advice. I've manged to curtail the problem in the short term by excluding the majority of the Unit Test Classes from the project and only having the tests I'm working on in the project this obviously reduces the number of tests overall which allows them to run. I would like to find out what the problem is as this solution is not the best but for now they are working so I'll keep doing as i am for now.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:22 AM
  • OK, if you find the course of this or a better solution,  please also let us know so that we can improve the product.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:14 PM