SMTP Authentication Problem or system.net.mail bug?

Question

• For example, i'm trying to login into inbox.com's smtp server with something like this:

client.Host = "smtp.inbox.com"
                    client.Port = 25
                    client.EnableSsl = False
                    client.UseDefaultCredentials = False
                    client.Credentials = New NetworkCredential("some.user@inbox.com", "somepassword")
                    client.Send(msg)

and altough i know the user and pass is correct, it still returns Auth Failure
    So this is what i've done

telnet smtp.inbox.com 25
    220 WM13.inbox.com [InBox.Com SMTP Server] ver. 1.0.2959.23182 by MatriX ATC:37
    ehlo infernus
    250-WM13.inbox.com says hello
    250-SIZE 72000000
    250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
    auith
    500 Syntax error, command unrecognized
    auth login
    334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
    somebase64user334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
    somebase64password235 Authentication successful.
    quit
    221 [InBox.Com SMTP Server] service closing transmission channel

as you can notice this server is kind of buggy, since it doesn't return the Carriage Returns correctly
    and then i analyzed the packets from my vb.net code and it was something like this

220 WM13.inbox.com [InBox.Com SMTP Server] ver. 1.0.2959.23182 by MatriX ATC:34
    EHLO infernus
    250-WM13.inbox.com says hello
    250-SIZE 72000000
    250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
    AUTH login somebase64user
    334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
    somebase64password
    334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
    ..h.k.535 Authentication failed.

and also as you can notice something is not completely right, the auth login followed by the base64user on the same line just does not work, in fact the server only recognizes the AUTH LOGIN part, not the rest of it, and what happens is that the username is ignored, the password becomes the username and nothing else happens because there's no password ot it just starts sending the rest of the data and it dies because "the rest of the data" becomes the password.

so my question is, is there a way to workaround this using the current libs or do i have to build a new mail class from scratch to bypass this?

P.S. so far this is the only server that i encountered problems with, but there may be more.

Thanks in advance

Tiago Peralta

Friday, February 08, 2008 5:01 AM

All replies

• I believe it is Inbox.com who are incompetent (again).

Try their costumer support (good luck), I'm going to wait this out and send via webmail interface and fetch the messages from my sent-folder using pop3.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:55 PM