How to change the .exe Icon?

Question

• I'm sorry, this is likely an incredibly stupid question, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out.  When I change the icon under Application Properties > Application > Resources > Icon, I get a build error.  What am I doing wrong?  I just want to change the icon...  Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,

Friday, March 30, 2007 11:30 PM

Answers

• Any information from the build error?  It works for me.  I use IcoFX and made one of size 32x32 for my test case.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Thanks for your help, your comment set me in the right direction.  I took a look at the .ico file, and the program I was using (Paint.NET - great program) was saving several versions of the .ico within the same .ico file (125 X 125, 64 X 64, 32 X 32, etc.).  When I changed this it worked without a problem.  I didn't even realize this setting was checked in Paint.Net...

Thanks Again for all of your help.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hmm, well, for a start, is the icon an actual .ice, or has it been renamed from .bmp or .gif or something like that?? That has caused me problems before with other programs, but i haven't yet changed the icon with C#, so i found a BMP to ICO converter. That worked.

Otherwise............. i dont know..... hack it with ResEdit .

--Cameron

Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:51 AM
  • It is an Icon file (.ico), and it was created with a program for Icon Files.  VS for some reason just does not want to let me change the icon...  I'm not sure what you mean by "...hack it with ResEdit"

Does anyone else have any idea why VS would be doing this?

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated, as I really need to get this corrected.

Thanks Again,
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:01 AM
  • Ok then. Well, I can't help you any more. Sorry
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Alright, thank you very much for your time.

Does anyone else have any ideas?  It is very important that I be able to change this icon.  I don't understand why this is so difficult...lol

Thanks Again,
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:28 AM
  • I thought this would be helpful, but here is the error I get when I try to build the application with a new icon. 

"C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WindowsApplication1\WindowsApplication1\obj\Debug\CSC577.tmp" is not a valid Win32 resource file.

Thanks Again, does anyone have any idea what the problem is?  Any help and information is greatly appreciated.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Any information from the build error?  It works for me.  I use IcoFX and made one of size 32x32 for my test case.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Thanks for your help, your comment set me in the right direction.  I took a look at the .ico file, and the program I was using (Paint.NET - great program) was saving several versions of the .ico within the same .ico file (125 X 125, 64 X 64, 32 X 32, etc.).  When I changed this it worked without a problem.  I didn't even realize this setting was checked in Paint.Net...

Thanks Again for all of your help.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:08 PM