Mstest.exe without VSTS

Question

• Hi,

I've installed Mstest ONLY..there is no VSTS on my machine...

When I try to run IE tests, Mstest launches 3 IE instances and completes the test.

When I run the same test case from VSTS, it passes.

Could you please help me out this? Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:01 AM

Answers

• Shashikant,

As Euan stated for VS2005 there is no MStest only sku. We are revisting this for a future release. As for UI tests it depends on what UI driver your test employ. Out of the box, VSTT does not provide UI automated tests but this can be achived in various other ways via generic/unit tests.

thanks,

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Mike,

For #1, this is one of the things on a higher priorities that we are considering for a future release though this is yet being worked out as such there if no formal statement. I am pushing for this & may have a update in a couple months.

thanks,

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:51 PM

All replies

• Right now MSTest is only supported when installed via either the Dev SKU or the Test SKU. We've had a lot of feedback that this is not a good solution and we are going to try and address it in a future release.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:08 AM
  • Thanks for the response...

I ran command line tests using MSTest ONLY and they passed.. Is it the case that MsTest ONLY doesn't support UI tests.?

Sunday, June 24, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Shashikant,

As Euan stated for VS2005 there is no MStest only sku. We are revisting this for a future release. As for UI tests it depends on what UI driver your test employ. Out of the box, VSTT does not provide UI automated tests but this can be achived in various other ways via generic/unit tests.

thanks,

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:38 PM
  • My organization is exploring an option of using VS' testing framework and tools for functional and integration testing automation (beyond the unit testing). After looking at what VSTS has offered, I have several questions here:

1. Does MS plan to enable the scenario that can run the automated test, without requiring VS installed?

2. Where is the log feature? The end to end testing automation needs logging more information than just failure or pass;

3. Any online help or samples on creating Testing related plug-in for VSTS?

Thanks,

George

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:22 PM
  • George,

Answers inline:

My organization is exploring an option of using VS' testing framework and tools for functional and integration testing automation (beyond the unit testing). After looking at what VSTS has offered, I have several questions here:

1. Does MS plan to enable the scenario that can run the automated test, without requiring VS installed?

Ryan: Yes, we are working on a standalone version of the command-line runner (MSTest) in the next version of Visual Studio.

2. Where is the log feature? The end to end testing automation needs logging more information than just failure or pass;

Ryan - http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=175052&SiteID=1 has details on logging within the Visual Studio IDE.  Make the same config file changes to the MSTest.exe.config file to turn on logging for the command-line runner.  Additionally, the results (TRX) file contains any logging done within your tests--via TestContext.Writeline(), Debug.Writeline(), Console.Writeline(), etc.

3. Any online help or samples on creating Testing related plug-in for VSTS?

Download the VisualStudio SDK and there are samples for extending the Testing features of Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Ryan

Monday, July 09, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the reply!

Regarding the logging feature, I mean that each test case can have multiple scenarios, and you can log the start of one scenario, and the end of the scenario, and the run status of the scenario, etc...and the run result will report all scenaios information for each test case. Will Orcas support this?

Thanks again for the reply!

George

Monday, July 09, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Mike,

For #1, this is one of the things on a higher priorities that we are considering for a future release though this is yet being worked out as such there if no formal statement. I am pushing for this & may have a update in a couple months.

thanks,

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Ramesh, may be it's possible to copy some assemblies from machine with VSTE to machine without VSTE, but with VS?
    What are MSTest.exe dependencies? What files & registry branches should I copy?

Thank you for your answer.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:10 PM
  • I also have the same question. I need to test on multiple PCs, it will take too much time and space to install VS 2005 on each PC, I wonder if there is any shortcut by just copying some files from machine with VSTE to machine without VSTE in order to run MSTest.exe?

Friday, August 24, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Thought I'd just bump this to see if I can yield new information on this matter.
    Is a standalone MSTest.exe still in the works? (Seems the same old deal in VSTS 2008 beta)
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 10:15 AM
  • Currently it remains this way in VS2008 RTM but we are still looking at it, unfortunately it turned out to be more complicated than we thought.

Regards,

-Euan

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:28 AM
  • OK, its been several months since this last post.  In hopes that MS has figured out there is huge need for this, did they do it ( seperate mstest from the IDE ) or will the masses have no choice but to go to the many open source options available to run unit tests during the build process without haveing VS IDE and all its depenancies on the build box thus leaving MS in the dust for another several years?

dan

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:26 PM
  • We have not yet made this available, but we do recognise its an issue.

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:43 AM
  •  

Could you at least give us a few hints as to what dependencies we need to solve , a how-to or something. We will deal with the issues but we have to be able to do this.

10x

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Hello.

Is there something new with this subject (Mstest.exe without VS IDE) ?

If not, what is the minimal installation of VS I need on Team System 2005 server ?

Another question about Test projects:

What I need to install on Team System 2005 server in order to build test projects created with VS 2008 (.Net 3.5).

I do succeed to build regular projects (after installing .Net 3.5 and changing the MSBuild in v2.0 dir), but not test projects.

Thank you.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:16 AM
  • I've been working on a solution to the "mstest.exe without vsts" and I think I'm down to just one issue. I'm getting the following error when mstest begins to execute tests.

Failed to Queue Test Run 'TestPass1 04:55:26' with id {cd8b4765-42c5-411c-9760-8241bd331163}: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestManagement.ExecutionException: Failed to get host process location. Host process is not available.

If someone could point me in the right direction to solve this issue, I can post my solution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:01 PM
  • I've got this solution up and running though I have to run mstest.exe with the /noisolation due to my previous post; which makes it a bit unstable. If someone could assit me in finding the solution to my previous post, I believe this solution would be stable enough to use in a fulltime test execution environment.

Thanks

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:11 PM
  • As a reminder, redist of the mstest bits is not allowed under the current license agreement

-Euan

Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  

We were starting to work with VS TE for creating automated web tests. We are developing tests in our lab, and we want to run them in the real environment at the customer, before getting to the production as a subset of accetpance tests.

Installing VS in this case is obviously not a solution.

(similar as stated in io of previous posts)

Any news on this issue? Unofficial hints, alternative solutions?

br

Dragan

Friday, September 19, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Any update on this? It is important to run mstest on a machine that does not have VS. For example, some of my tests are smoke tests. I would like to deploy these tests with my application so that when the customer has an issue I can quickly have them run the smoke tests to get an idea of what state we are in. I want a standard solution for my smoke tests when run on my unit test server and the same solution when run at a customer site.

BG
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Sorry but we can't provide an update at this time, as I said before we understand the desire to support this scenario but we are not willing to make a public statement about whether its supported until we actualy have builds with this capability and we have sorted out the licensing. As we have neither of those yet, no change in our position.

-Euan
    http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Sometimes we need a solution and doesn't metter how.

I have this scenarium where it's necessary to run web tests from a user machine inside their company for stress testing.
    They do have VS licenses in there but not in user machines.

I sort it out following this partial solution here http://mindinthewater.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html. These are the steps to copy some DLLs and MSTest.exe to the machine. You may have to copy some more DLLs from development machine depending on your tests. Read the error logs.

Remember to use the sugestion from Necromancer using /noisolation to run mstest.
    I'm still having problems to log the results in a remote SQL Server but the tests ran.

If someone find how to log it, please, post it here.

Cheers
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Friday, April 24, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Do we have any news from Microsoft on this subject?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 12:58 PM
  • running mstest without VS is highly desirable feature.  A few reasons include:

Enables you to run more tests on more configurations
    We have many configurations and run thousands of tests.  
    We don't want have to re-install VS to just run tests.  (we constantly re-imaging systems)
    We don't want to ship systems with VS dependencies, i.e. the test only works if VS is installed. 

I'm sure I could list a few more.....

Even Rational has a test agent, cough cough, choke...
    Monday, June 01, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Hi TurboFish.
    I needed the same thing - the ability to run mstest without VS installed on my CI server. You can find the procedure I devised to install mstest standalone on my CI server on my blog here - http://www.shunra.com/shunrablog/index.php/2009/04/running-mstest-without-visual-studio/

The net result is that my CI server has just the bare essentials, no VS and yet it runs mstest unit tests very smoothly.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Does this technique conflict with the licensing scheme?
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I could have installed another instance of Visual Studio 2008, I am allowed to according to the license we have. Instead I just installed mstest. I do not think it is against the license. My assumption is that if you have a license to install another instance of the full Visual Studio you can install parts of it.
    So, the question is does your license allow you to have another instance of VS? If yes, then I see no problem.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Now that 2010 is out, is this resolved?  Can I compile a MSTest dll into a standalone .exe?  Or, is it now possible / legal to deploy MSTest.exe and any required dll's to a target machine under test that does not have Visual Studio installed on it?  Do you have any howto links for me?

Friday, October 08, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Now that 2010 is out, is this resolved?  Can I compile a MSTest dll into a standalone .exe?  Or, is it now possible / legal to deploy MSTest.exe and any required dll's to a target machine under test that does not have Visual Studio installed on it?  Do you have any howto links for me?

I'd be interested in this as well.  I've seen someone saying it would be addressed in 2010, but haven't found a mstest standalone download anywhere.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:43 PM

I'd be interested in this as well.  I've seen someone saying it would be addressed in 2010, but haven't found a mstest standalone download anywhere.

i have solved it with installing VS2010 Test Agent and this dll list:

• Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CheckinPolicies.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CMI.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodeCoverage.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITest.Controls.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITest.PowerTools.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITestFramework.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITestPackage.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CommandLine.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Common.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Common.xml
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Controller.SpooledJob.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.ExecutionCommon.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.ExecutionCommon.xml
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.HostAdapters.ASPNETAdapter.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.HostAdapters.ASPNETAgent.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Linking.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.LoadTest.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.NetworkEmulation.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.OperationalStore.ClientHelper.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Sqm.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.GenericTest.Adapter.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.GenericTest.ObjectModel.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.GenericTest.Tip.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.ManualTest.Adapter.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.ManualTest.ObjectModel.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.ManualTest.Tip.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.OrderedTest.Adapter.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.OrderedTest.ObjectModel.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.OrderedTest.Tip.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.WebLoadTest.Tip.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.WebLoadTest.Tip.dll.VisualState.xml
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.TMI.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.WarehouseCommon.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestImpact.Analysis.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestImpact.AutoPackage.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestImpact.Common.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestImpact.Package.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestSettings.Common.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestSettings.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.CodeGeneration.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Common.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.IE.Communication.Interop.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.IE.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.MSAA.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.Uia.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Framework.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Playback.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Recorder.dll
    • Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.dll
    • MSTest.exe
    • MSTest.exe.config
    • Proposed as answer by Madcat-nl Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:13 PM
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:13 PM