none
Confusion... SyncFX, Sync Framework 2.1, Sync Framework Toolkit, Sync Framewok 4.0, Sync Services for ADO.NET on Devices!!

Question

• Hi,

I am looking for some clear explanation preferable roadmap of all these technology like which one came first what came next and whats the purpose of these. ... I am looking to synchronize a SQL 2008 DB to multiple Windows Mobil 6.5 devices with SQL CE. Other option is to replace bancked sql2008 with SQL Azure. So far I came across multiple technologies Sync Services 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, 4.0, Sync framework Toolkit, ADO.NET sync services for devices. 

Now the biggest confusion is that first of all what will work and work better in my scenario. (Cant use merge replication as it a hosted environment) I think Sync Framework 2.1 doesn't supports devices and SyncFX is the same as sync framework toolkit which can work on WM 6.5 (there is a sample) but how different it is with Sync service for ADO.NET for devices? What is easy to implement and better choice. 

Add to the list as per this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726008(v=sql.100).aspx there is Sync Services for ADO.NET 2.0 but the title says Sync Services for ADO.NET 1.0 SP1! what the difference? does 2.0 support WM 6.5 or 1.0 SP1 is the same as 2.0!

Muhammad Umair umair.muhammad@hotmail.com MVP - Visual Basic Technologies

Sunday, August 04, 2013 4:44 PM

All replies

• WM 6.5 is only supported using Sync service for ADO.NET for devices.

you're only other option if you want to use WM 6.5 is to use the Sync Framework Toolkit.

Sync Framework Toolkit is not a version upgrade of Sync Framework, it's actually built on top of Sync Framework 2.1 and is designed to address clients that can't install the full Sync Framework SDK (iOS, WP, etc...)

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 12:13 PM
  • thx a lot for the clarification. Which one do u recommend. any pros and cons?

Muhammad Umair umair.muhammad@hotmail.com MVP - Visual Basic Technologies

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:29 PM
  • depends on your sync requirements.

quick one, less flexible, use the older provider.

want more flexibility, use the Sync FX toolkit and build your own client provider

Thursday, August 08, 2013 1:56 PM