none
Customizing whiteboard and powerpoint sharing Lync's features or reusing in custom app

Question

• Lync 2010 allows sharing of PowerPoint presentations and doing whiteboarding on them.  We're going to use Lync on kiosk-like PC (without physical keyboard and mouse, only touchscreen). And Lync's UI isn't suitable for us. We need to customize Lync's UI in presentation sharing mode.

How to do this?

Is it possible to custome Lync client's UI?

Is it possible to reuse some these Lync's features in a custom application? I understand that Lync provides Lync SDK for using Lync's features in custom applications (LyncClient class). But I can't find anything about whiteboarding and presentation (and application) sharing in the SDK API.

Sergei Dorogin, Lead Developer, CROC Inc. (www.croc.ru)
    Friday, January 21, 2011 8:53 AM

All replies

• Dear Lync Client Team, could please give any tips where look at! I really need to change/reimplement UX for whiteboarding/presentations in Lync Client. Thanks.

UPDATE:

after studing official doc I believe that customizing presentation mode and whiteboarding is impossible. But I can see the following approaches:

• Lync Web App - is it possible to customize this app? Where is the dev documentation for it?
    • Creating custom Modality. Lync.Model API supports only two modality types: IM and AudioVideo. Is it possible to create a custom one? Are there any samples for such thing? How to work with custom modality in UCMA's server app?
    If creating custom modalities wasn't meant as legal approach then I'm keen to hear what are my options?
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Hi Sergei,

I have exactly the same issue. I'm looking for a way to develop a web based Lync client that wouldn't need the Lync client installed.

The best way would seem to be to customize the Lync Web App, but I haven't found any reference to this.

Could the Lync team help us on this?

Many thanks,

Rodrigo Boavida

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Rodrigo and Sergei, my question on the customized Lync Web app... Like the, attendee console, this app is accessed through "join launcher" page from the Lync server page.   If you customize it, how do you change the "join launcher" page to point to custimized client?  Also, have you looked into custimizing the attnedee console? 

Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Customizing Lync Web App is just an idea, not a proposed solution from Microsoft. They keep silence. This forum is probably only for questions not for answers.

If we choose LWA approach then the only option I can see is to decompile standard Lync Silverlight client, customize it and replace XAPs in Lync Server's Web Apps. But obviously it's absolutely illegal. So I didn't say that.

Sergei Dorogin, Lead Developer, CROC Inc. (www.croc.ru)
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Customizing Lync UI is not possible, but you could share your own application window using the Lync API. Use the BeginStartConversation under Automation class while passing in the window handle and the process id of your PPT or whiteboarding app as context. You can also share your desktop and monitor.

Sorry, this may not be an ideal solution for your need, but I can't think of any thing else.

Bahram Chehrazy Software Developer, Unified Communication Team
    Friday, February 18, 2011 1:29 AM
  • To develop a webbased client without having to install Lync you need to use UCMA API to talk to the server directly. There is a different discussion thread about UCMA andI'm not an expert on that.
    Bahram Chehrazy Software Developer, Unified Communication Team
    Friday, February 18, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Vytru Application Sharing SDK extends Microsoft UCMA SDK to support Lync application sharing desktop calls, enables developers to create an automated sharing/viewing desktop applications. try it http://vytru.com/ucma-content-sharing.html.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:40 PM