XInput Common controller 32 bit wont install

Question

• Hi
    I need to use XInput for a program I am writing in VB.NET  2005 (to use the xbox 360 controller). However I am not sure what software I need to download. I thought I needed the Microsft Common Controller 32bit but when I tried to install it, it says "Installation did not complete"

Please help me!

Thanks
    Monday, September 18, 2006 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• That's the only message it gives you?!? I'm assuming you're running XP SP1 or greater? I had no problem installing the driver on my laptop or desktop.
    Monday, September 18, 2006 8:00 PM
  • Yeah Im running SP2 and the .Net Framework and i cant find anything wrong with my computer. Maby the file is corrupt?
    Monday, September 18, 2006 8:02 PM
  • Mine said the same thing when I installed it but when I plugged in the controller, it worked fine.  Have you tried plugging the controller in, even though you got the message?  My thinking was that the DXSDK or something else installed the driver already and the error is just from the driver already being there.
    Monday, September 18, 2006 8:16 PM
  • Could be. Try redownloading and verifying the file is 644 KB
    Monday, September 18, 2006 8:17 PM
  • Yeah it is 644 KB Im trying to remove the controller from the computer completly and start again
    Monday, September 18, 2006 8:19 PM
  • It still wont work and I cant find out how to e-mail the XNA people
    Monday, September 18, 2006 8:34 PM
  • xna@microsoft.com or (in this case more likley) directx@microsoft.com.

However those email addresses are not for general support - they are for suggestions and bug reports so don't expect as response.

Monday, September 18, 2006 8:49 PM
  • I had the same problem, although I've used those drivers before and they've worked correctly. When I couldn't get them to work, I just plugged in my gamepad and let windows update find the drivers, and that worked correctly.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 1:56 AM
  • Ahhhhh that might be it, i just found a driver update in windows update. Thanks
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:11 AM
  • Nahh it still wont work. I will try it on another computer.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:50 PM
  • If you have a 360 Controller for Windows get the driver from here: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx

This will install what you need. You should only need the driver if you have a controller.

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:12 AM
  • I think the link you provided, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx, is for the same copy of the drivers as what came in the original box for the controller? The reason (or one reason) for trying to install the XInput Common controller 32 bit driver, is to resolve the LT/RT button problem. (If you check your Control Panel, Game Controllers, and test your Xbox360 controller with the above driver, you'll see that the LT and RT buttons are mapped to the same axis.

Pressing only LT, reads 0%,
    Pressing only RT reads 100%.
    Pressing neither reads 50%,
    Pressing both LT and RT, also reads 50%.

The LT and RT buttons should be on separate axes, and
    XInput Common controller 32 bit driver was said to remedy this problem. Unfortunately, I too am recieving the "Installation did not complete" message, on multiple computers (XP Pro, SP2). I've tried installing with the controller plugged, and unplugged, with no luck. Still looking for a solution :-(
    Monday, October 02, 2006 7:15 PM
  • Anyone have a solution to this problem, or at least know a way to debug it?  "installation did not complete" has got to be the most vague error dialog I have ever seen. It's not even a capital "i"....

I noticed if you leave the error dialog up and go to the C:\ drive, you can see the temporary directory which was extracted, and all the files underneath. Once you click "OK" the directory is cleaned up.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:35 AM
  • I downloaded the Common Controller running XP SP2 or 3 or something and got the error.

I then went to the link given above - http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx

Downloaded the much larger software package, installed it. Then plugged in the device and let windows install the software (windows self install had failed earlier without this package).

Hope this helps someone.
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:32 AM