How do i change from 32bit color to 16 bit color because my pc runs slower with it on 32 bit and i caint change to 16 bit on Windows 8

Question

• Caint change from 32bit color to 16 bit color on my display settings i am stuck with 32 bit please help !
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

• Ok, I checked the Windows and Windows Server Developer Preview Compatibility Cookbook and found that you can't change the color depth any longer:
    System Color Depth
    Desktop Composition cannot run unless the color depth is set to 32 bits per pixel. In Windows 7 the color depth of the system can be changed in one of the following scenarios:
    •    An end user uses the Windows Display control panel or a 3rd party control panel to change the system color
    •    An end user runs an app that changes the color depth of the system through a public API

Unlike Windows 7, Windows Developer Preview does not support color depth other than 32 bits per pixel. The user can no longer change the color depth of the system by using the control panel.

The HD5670 is fast enough for 32Bit, I have a 5770 and play games with it. So your card is fine.

What issues do you have? Have you tried the AMD preview driver for Windows 8?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/win8-preview.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, January 13, 2012 8:58 PM

All replies

• Which graphic card do you use? Do you use the latest drivers? Run dxdiag to detect DirectX issues.

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:53 PM
  • I use a Ati Radeon hd 5670 ddr5 512mb yep drivers are the latest no issues found still no option to change it to 16 bit color it says i have directx11
    Friday, January 13, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Ok, I checked the Windows and Windows Server Developer Preview Compatibility Cookbook and found that you can't change the color depth any longer:
    System Color Depth
    Desktop Composition cannot run unless the color depth is set to 32 bits per pixel. In Windows 7 the color depth of the system can be changed in one of the following scenarios:
    •    An end user uses the Windows Display control panel or a 3rd party control panel to change the system color
    •    An end user runs an app that changes the color depth of the system through a public API

Unlike Windows 7, Windows Developer Preview does not support color depth other than 32 bits per pixel. The user can no longer change the color depth of the system by using the control panel.

The HD5670 is fast enough for 32Bit, I have a 5770 and play games with it. So your card is fine.

What issues do you have? Have you tried the AMD preview driver for Windows 8?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/win8-preview.aspx

Friday, January 13, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Thanx that would explain why then lol yes i have tried the AMD preview driver and still doesnt work my games are slower i only play online. Games run jerky on 32 bit color tried the the defalt internet explorer 10 chrome and firefox all the same runs slower but runs fine on normal windows 7 64 bit on 16bit color it a shame really because i sort of like the preview so looks like i will end up going back to windows 7 64 bit lol i have AMD Phenom 2 x4 black edition 3.2ghz cpu and i have 4gb ram hope they sort it when the full version comes out thanx for help !
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:15 PM
  • upgrade the GPU if it is too slow for you. Buy a Radeon HD 6870, this card is fine for gaming.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:10 PM