- I can search relevant results and still in the same experience

- I love how fluid the UI looks like

- It's easy to use

Forums Test Lead

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:02 PM

All replies

• The new search is really fast!!!!!
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Ok, I had completely opposite opinion. I don't know if it's fast or not, but I am using forums mostly answering questions. I do not see a convenient way to see many threads as I used to. Also, the whole right panel is gone and I used it a lot to access my stuff. Now I need to use the left side.

Finally, I found the labels such as "inquirer" to be very insulting. I don't want to be called inquirer.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Proposed as answer by Latheesh NKMVP Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:57 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:23 PM
  • I believe most of the options are collapsed by default. You should see the same links if you expand: "Quick Access"

Forums Test Lead

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:28 PM
  • I have to click on 'Quick Access' first and then click on the link I need. 

'My Threads' currently returns error (I tried 2 or 3 times already).

I am also seeing everything unfiltered. I want to be able to easily go to the forums of my choice (without multiple clicks) and see the view as it was before with many threads, last response and person responded. And then I want to be able to go from top to bottom as I usually do.

In other words, this new forum's look makes my life miserable now. I am unable to work with forums in the way I like it.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:34 PM

• I am also seeing everything unfiltered. I want to be able to easily go to the forums of my choice (without multiple clicks) and see the view as it was before with many threads, last response and person responded. And then I want to be able to go from top to bottom as I usually do.

In other words, this new forum's look makes my life miserable now. I am unable to work with forums in the way I like it.

Unfortunately, the "official" way to handle this is to make a separate bookmark for each "view" you want to keep.  A set of forums (or a single one) will create a unique URL, so can be bookmarked.

I miss the "My Forums View" from the old forums, though - was a nicer default.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Can you try clicking on "my threads" in the next few minutes. We just made some fine tuning at our end. 

Thanks for the feedback. Folks at our end are looking at this. 

Ty

Community Apps Test Lead

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:39 PM
  • BTW, you're saying that search is fast. I wanted to find my own thread in the forum's feedback forum called 'Bugs and Issues'. I tried first 'Bugs and Issues' and it returned a huge amount of results. I then tried adding forum's issues and Naomi and got 2 results but not my thread. So, how I am supposed to search for my own threads?

In other words, I do not like this new stuff one bit. Please give me old stuff back.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:42 PM
  • Got the error again but now after considerable waiting period.

I am going to fitness now. May be I can get this complete failure out of my mind for some time.

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Proposed as answer by Latheesh NKMVP Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:57 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:45 PM
  • Can you try clicking on "my threads" in the next few minutes. We just made some fine tuning at our end. 

Thanks for the feedback. Folks at our end are looking at this. 

Ty

Community Apps Test Lead

This is failing every time for me now.  The "My Forums Threads" always hangs, then brings up an error page now.

(It was working initially after the revamp.)

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:47 PM
  • I am wondering if you sought any feedback from users of the forums, or if there was a beta testing period?

I am struggling to see how something as simple as not being able to see who last responded to a thread (which is a MAJOR issue for contributors), as well as the search failures below (when search is supposed to be one of the main benefits of this change) could possibly make it through any form of user acceptance testing, let alone a closed beta ?

I am just trying to understand what the process was that was followed, that has led to what seems to be a disaster

Also here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=forumsredesign

The footer says 1-20 of 30. But when you click Next Page, it says 'No results can be found'.

This was tested?

Also, edit 'reasons' aren't being displayed in posts anymore.

Thanks! Josh

• Edited by Josh Ashwood Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:08 AM REASON
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:38 AM
  • My vote is to dump this "upgrade". Now. Immediately. Start this redesign over from scratch, or at least give me the option to revert.

I've only been around for 4 months, so it's not like I'm attached to the old forum design. Still though, the fact that I'm now staring at 3 inches of dead whitespace instead of a full page forum is just inexcusable.

I said it in another thread (which I'll probably never find again) so I'll say it again. This feels just like Digg v4. Hopefully it doesn't have the same effect. I want to stick around, but I'm going to get frustrated very quickly.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:43 AM
  • - Fast

- I can search relevant results and still in the same experience

- I love how fluid the UI looks like

- It's easy to use

Forums Test Lead

Easy to use huh ? Who says, Only MS employees ? This new look is a disaster for eyes.

Create a poll and you will realise the actual results.

Where is the "Alert" bell icon ? Now, I cannot differentiate between the threads I have replied or marked " Alert Me" for watching the thread.

Why colour scheme has been removed which distinguishes between Answers as Green,  Proposed Answers as "Grey" and questions as "Orange" ? it was nice earlier. Now, I only see, Blue, white and black ! You are going to make me color blind for sure !

There are losts of white spaces used, why ?

I cannot see display name of the person in last reply, why ?

The changes you have made is like " you are driving on right for last 100 years and suddenly you are asked to drive from left on one fine day !!! "

Now I need to scroll down and look at the right bottom of the post to see, who has replied, why such a change, which is doesnt makes any sense ?

Please roll back to old interface or give two options old as well new interface.

Let MS employees and whoever is interested use new one and those who doesn't like this new design, switch back to old one.

Also, nominate the UI team for excellent job for ruining the entire forum looks.

Спасибо! | Please ignore typo errors ;-)

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:02 AM
  • GREAT suggestion. 

Let's have a poll about this. 

Thanks! Josh

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:02 AM
  • I use RSS feeds to see the new questions on the forum in my Outlook client. I find it very useful. In the new look, I don't see RSS feeds for forums, however I do see RSS for the post. Can someone help or restore RSS functionality?

- Sarvesh Goel - Enterprise Messaging Administrator

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:08 AM
  • I do NOT love the new forums. And I hesitate work with them.

They make working as contributor even harder than it was before.

Quick Access? The links in the old forums were quicker - you had not to move the mouse across the entire screen after scrolling, you had not to click any additional button, but the link directly. So how is this new thing quick and ergonomic?

No link My Forums Threads any more?? This was the main method, I kept the subscribed forums under some control!

No visibility of last poster any more?

While there is now a quick jump link to last post in a thread, why do the forums still not provide a facility to go to first unread message?

The performance still is underearthy for loading long threads - those still manage to freeze/lock up IE.

The colors are no longer helpful, especially not, if you are seeing the combination with font colors (although grey is not a color) and size and my aging eyes. I really have a much harder time to determine, how many replies are there in a thread - in the old forum this information was clearly visible, so it can't be only my eyes!

Who is in charge for ergonomic software? Or is it that way: Metro design beats ergonomic? Nobody cares about users and what they want? Forcing unwanted stuff on them seems to be nowadays the Microsoft way.

Please revert or make the old UI an option configurable by user.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:56 AM
  • I totally agree with this comment.  I also use the RSS feeds almost exclusively.  You can still get to the rss feeds, with urls, such as the following: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads?outputAs=rss

It would be nice to get the RSS buttons back though.  Please keep the RSS feeds available!

Mike

Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:47 AM
  • For some time I have felt that the developers/designers of Micrsoft platforms (TechNet/MSDN) are not concerned about communicating information accurately. Their goal is to create pages pleasing to the eye from a distance. If you try to read the pages, it can hurt the eyes due to faint colors and small fonts. It has become more difficult to find important information, like "where" I am, or who posted a question/reply.

It is early and I don't have statistics to compare, but I think I'm seeing more questions asked in the wrong forum. I am also finding I miss new activity more often, such as questions I should have addressed yesterday. Each thread in a list takes up more room (so you see fewer at a time), but the important information is harder to locate.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Performance suffers as well. Pages are sometimes taking forever to load (and I've gotten a dialog a few times about a cancelling a script because it's slowing down my computer). OK, granted, I'm using an older browser (IE 8 on Win XP) and I haven't tried it on a newer browser yet (I have Chrome, but I mostly use IE). But, hey, should I have to do that? No! I can't be the only one still using IE 8!  ;0)

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Thanks, I discovered on my own how much faster Chrome is for the Forums, so I decided I might as well use it and quit complaining! ;0)

I already had Chrome installed, but I've only used it for a few sites (Gmail, for example). IE is still my default browser though.

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Monday, June 24, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Who is in charge for ergonomic software? Or is it that way: Metro design beats ergonomic? Nobody cares about users and what they want? Forcing unwanted stuff on them seems to be nowadays the Microsoft way.

Bill Gates, the father of GUI, is gone!  Some marketing type think anything goes....

The new UI has nothing to do with metro. It is a plain disaster UI done by beginners.

The previous UI:

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect sqlusa.com
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Monday, June 24, 2013 8:10 AM spelling
    Monday, June 24, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Forum's Team, are you listening to our feedback? Did you get what the majority of the people wants? Can you confirm with 'Yes' or 'No' if it is technically possible to revert to the old design?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Given the previous track record of ignoring bad feedback regarding metro UI (outlook.com, visual studio 2012, office etc) it would seem based on the past that the chances of a rollback are slim to none. 

I am surprised to see how many people are shocked that Microsoft can and do choose to either ignore feedback or discard it if it does not agree with a decided direction. This is not a democracy; it's a corporation. If you want a say that can't be ignored in Microsoft, you need to buy shares. It's a bugger of a thing but it seems at some point a decision has been made - "we are applying Metro UI everywhere, no matter what our users say"

Thanks! Josh

• Edited by Josh Ashwood Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:26 AM asdfasdf
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:22 AM