none
'Visual C++ Project System Package' package did not load correctly

Question

• I recently updated my Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate RC to Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate RTM. After that upgrade, I was no longer able to open or create C++ projects. Any time I attempt to do so, I receive one of the following messages:

The 'Visual C++ Project System Package' package did not load correctly.

or

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\VCWizards\default.vcxproj' cannot be opened because its project type (.vcxproj) is not supported by this version of the application. 

To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project.

Here is the relevant section from the ActivityLog.xml

<entry>
        <record>700</record>
        <time>2013/10/30 13:58:48.703</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>End package load [Visual C++ Project System Package]</description>
        <guid>{F1C25864-3097-11D2-A5C5-00C04F7968B4}</guid>
        <hr>80004003 - E_POINTER</hr>
        <errorinfo>Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path1</errorinfo>
    </entry>

I have tried many things at this point:

1) Repair install VS 2013

2) Uninstall + Reinstall VS 2013

3) Uninstall + delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0 + clean registry of Studio 12.0 entries + Reinstall

4) Copy files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\vcpackages from a working machine to my machine

None of these have resolved the issue. Most of my colleagues did not install 2013 RTM over 2013 RC, so I don't know if that was what originally broke this or if it's something else. I do have 2010 Ultimate SP1 and 2012 Ultimate Update 3 installed on this box, but most of my colleagues do as well and I'm the only one with this issue. 2010 and 2012 continue to work without issue.

What other steps should I take to try and resolve this?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:42 PM

Answers

• Here's what fixed it for me, check your User environment variables for VCHOME, VCINSTALLDIR and vsinstalldir.

Change X:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\

to

X:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\

• Marked as answer by Derek.Miller Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Derek.Miller,

Let's try if this tool http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall can help you clean something in registry. Please use this tool then install Visual Studio again.

From your description, the error indicates that VCWizards is not accepted as a template on Visual Studio 2013. I guess the issue may pending on your source or registry. The first tool I mentioned is used for registry. We should also make sure your Visual Stuido 2013 source is healthy. Can you also use this tool to verify checksum if you are using ISO:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Barry,

Thanks for all your information. I apologize for the slow response, but this is my primary development box so I've had to work on this issue after hours and multiple install/uninstall cycles add up fast.

I verified the hash of the file, so I don't think it's corrupt media, although I'm in the process of trying another copy of the ISO anyway. I also tried the tool you linked to but it didn't find any issues to correct.

At this point, I'm starting to lean toward wiping all versions of VS off the box and putting just 2013 on to see if that will have any effect. I'll post back with the results of that exercise, though again, it'll likely be a couple days as I'm nearing the end of a release, so it's hard to find large chunks of time to do the uninstall/install.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:06 AM
  • I have continued to struggle with this issue and, unfortunately, still don't have a solid answer. Earlier this week I broke down and removed every Microsoft package from my system (via Add/Remove Programs) that seemed like it could in any way be related to VS. I then nuked all VS related folders on my hard drive and everything I could find in the registry. After a reboot, I installed VS 2013 by itself and, finally, C++ projects worked.

However, we still have many VS2010 and VS2012 projects lying around, so I need those installed in order to build them in VS2013. Unfortunately, after installing those two packages, VS2013 is once again exhibiting the same C++ issue. I have once again tried repairs, reinstalls and even a tip I found online of opening the VS command prompt and typing "devenv /Setup". None of these have worked and I'm back to square one. VS2010 and VS2012 work perfectly as does VS2013 for everything but C++.

At this point, I'm pretty much out of ideas beyond reformatting my machine and trying everything again. Given how much time I've already spent trying to fix this, however, the more likely option for the short term is probably just going to be abandoning VS2013.

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:51 PM
  • This fixed it for me:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17819613/vs2012-error-package-visual-c-package-failed-to-load

(Run "Developer Command Prompt" as administrator, and type "devenv /Setup")

• Proposed as answer by Morris Maynard Friday, September 05, 2014 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:06 PM
  • Here's what fixed it for me, check your User environment variables for VCHOME, VCINSTALLDIR and vsinstalldir.

to

• Marked as answer by Derek.Miller Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:39 PM

to

This ended up being the root cause of my problems. For the time being, I just removed these environment variables and 2013 finally seems to be working without issue.

These variables seem vaguely familiar though and I have a faint recollection that I added them at some point to fix some other issue. Having products under active development with multiple versions of Visual Studio sure does lead to a lot of headaches!

If anyone has any more insight into how these should be properly configured when multiple versions of VS are on the box, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:44 PM