Conversion from VB6 to Visual Studio 2008 express

Question

• Hello all,

I've been given a VB6 project and told to re-develop in .NET using visual studio 2008 express. The only problem is I have very little Visual Studio experience!!

Is there a tool to convert from VB6 straight to Visual Studio?

Apoligies if this is not the right forum and thanks in advance for any advice or re-direction to the correct forum.

Steve

Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:39 AM

Answers

• Install  VB2008 express.  Web Developer doesn't have the upgrade wizard.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:43 PM

All replies

• Yes.  VBE2008 includes the tool.  Open your project.  Don't be surprised at the number of errors.  Many of them will refer to the same thing.  Correct it once and usually a large number of errors will disappear.  You'll learn VBE as you correct the errors.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Thanks John,

I did as you suggest but got the following error:

The Visual Basic .NET Upgrade Wizard is not installed on this computer.

Is there an option to switch this wizard on? I am searching to find the answer myself but if you can advise that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:15 PM
  • I don't understand.  AFAIK it's installed when VBE is installed.  Do you show All Project Files (*.sln;*.dsw;*.vcw;*.vbproj;*.vbp) in the Open Project dialog.  When on a code page in a project, do you show Upgrade Visual Basic 6 Code on the Tools menu?  The caret has to be at a location where code can be inserted.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:49 PM
  • John,

I show all project files and open a .vbp file

Then I get the error.

This may seem obvious..... I have Visual Studio Express 2008 installed; should I have any VB software installed?

All I have been given is a folder with the VB6 project and all its associated files and asked to get it working in .NET with Visual Studio.

Should I consider reinstalling Visual Studio?

here is the 'About' data from my Visual Studio program.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

Installed Edition: WD Express

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008   91911-152-0000077-60296
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB945282)   KB945282
    This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945282.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB946040)   KB946040
    This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946040.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB946308)   KB946308
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946308.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB946344)   KB946344
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946344.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB946581)   KB946581
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946581.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB947540)   KB947540
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947540.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB947789)   KB947789
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947789.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU (KB951708)   KB951708
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951708.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Install  VB2008 express.  Web Developer doesn't have the upgrade wizard.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Thanks John,

I tried opening a 'vbproj' file instead of 'vbp' and it began the conversion, then my laptop froze....

I reinstalled Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and will do as you say and include VB2008 express as well.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your help.

Steve
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:02 PM
  • John, this is confusing.  I have the same situation as Steve.  Your answer was to install vb2008, i.e., visual basic 2008 express.  I have that installed and have started the upgrade wizard but doesn't complete because of errors in my vb6 project which I am working thru.      So.. am I to understand that all the literature  that says to use the vb upgrade wizard in "visual studio 2008" is wrong.  And I should use visual basic 2008 express instead ??

2nd question.  Will the uprade wizard ONLY upgrade to windows forms; i.e., no web forms?

Pauley

Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:56 PM
  • i think john said there is no upgrade wizard for web developer so you need to use visual basic express edition.  the same code will work in your winforms app as a website or web application with the exception of web specifics such as session variables, etc... you should be able to convert your code in vb express and then copy and paste over to web developer.  .net code is .net code.

FREE DEVELOPER TOOLS, CODE & PROJECTS at www.srsoft.us Database Code Generator and Tutorial
    • Proposed as answer by PauleyHoyt Monday, June 29, 2009 2:23 AM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:04 AM
  • First, I would recommend that you install Visual Basic 6.0 if it isn't already installed. This will install and register any VB 6.0 components that may be used by your application. If your app is using any third-party components you will need to make certain that they are registered.

Second, the Upgrade Wizard is far from perfect. There are enough differences between VB 6.0 and VB .NET that you will probably need to re-write or modify a good amount of code. For some library and language implementations there is simply no direct conversion.

With respect to your second question, Visual Basic Express will not convert your VB 6.0 application to a web application. It is only a development tool for Windows Forms applications and .NET components.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 12:51 PM
  • Problem here is quite obvious to me.  The installation version of Visual Studio 2008 and the installation of Visual Studio 2010 which I have installed (downloaded from MSDN) no longer includes the vbp option in the dropdown (common control) of the studio.  I suspect there may be a method to add this to the list of items that can be opened.  I'm facing the issue now. 

Here is the current list:

*.sln;*.dws;*.dww;*.vcw;*.rptproj;*.dwproj;*.asproj;*.smdlproj;*.dsp;*.vcp

My expectation is that there is a registry entry that can be altered to include the *.vbp in this list and that somewhere along the line, for whatever reason, it has been removed from the later installations of these tools.  Perhaps there is another reason?

JRL
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:16 PM
  • I believe it may have to do with the way you setup your Visual Studio.  When it first opens it asks for the type of development you expect to be completing.  So if you answer you are a visual basic developer, that "*.vbp" will be in your dropdown list.  If you except the default (I believe it is web developer), you'll not see it in your dropdown.
    R, J
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Sure there is if you have VS2010 or VS2010 Express and you want to move your VB6 application I recommed downloading the Visual Basic Upgrade Companion there is a link here. http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-mx/vbasic/ff793478

This is an updated version of the Visual Basic Upgrade Wizard that was bundled in previous versions of visual studio. This version supports even more features, bigger projects, COM automation, ActiveX exes, ADODB -> ADO.NET and more.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:11 PM