none
Create a site definition from an existing site

Question

• I have a Site that I would like to include in a site definition.  I'm new to this and confused on how to use VS to create the site definition.  I don't understand how to configure the site the way I want to (lists, libraries, workflows, etc...).  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance

Ron

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:16 AM

Answers

• Wasaq's posts are good starters for Site Definitions, however are you sure you want to create a site definition?

If you just want to create copies of a site then the easier approach is often to use a Site Template (which you can make from any non-publishing site by going to site administration and clicking on 'Save Site as Template').

Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:31 AM
  • The solutions generator is known for being somewhat broken and needs some attention to get working, so treat that one carefully.  Alex (as normal!) has a point when asking if the definition is the way to go.  It'll be a lot more work for what gain exactly?  If you're new to SharePoint, it'll be useful to show you the differences between a few things.

1. Definition: Probably the deepest level and most intricate form of Site templates.  This sits on the servers on the hive/12 and consists a number of different files.  Often tricky to pull together.  It also doesn't sit within the content database and has performance benefits but has a lot of overhead.
    2. Site Template:Based on differences from a created site, quicker and easier to use and deploy.  It USED to sit within the Content databases  but not sure if they do so within SharePoint 2010.  Easily distributed as well.

Can we also ask what version of SharePoint you're using?  In SharePoint 2007, there is a depedency between the site definition and any templates based upon it.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:05 AM

All replies