none
Keep Column Groupings Together

Question

• I'm running into some issues with grouping on some SSRS  reports, and from what I've read, it may not be possible to fix the issue.

I've got some column groupings that I need to keep together. There is one group called Level, with the possible values of GRIP, GRIPHRO, GRO, RP, RPHPE, and YP. Within each of these, there are three possible groups: BU, EU, and OU.

I'm trying to keep all related groups together. For example, under the GRP group there are the three subgroups. If for some reason all three subgroups won't fit onto one page, I'd like to move that main group to the next page.

I've attached an example:

The above image is of page one. As you can see, the GRP group gets cut off after EU Prem. The second image shows page two:

As you can see, the GRP group continues on the second page. What I would like to do is keep the GRP group (or whatever group) together. So the GRP group would begin on the second page.

I've tried the keep together option, but doesn't work. And I don't want to create a page break between every group - this will turn a 2-3 page report into a 6 page report. Not good...

I know there's a Microsoft Connect issue on this, but it is still active, so I'm assuming it may very well have never been solved.

If anyone has found a way around this, any insight would be appreciated!

A. M. Robinson

Monday, November 04, 2013 12:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Robinson,

From your description, you want to keep the sub items under of the group together on one page, and you don't want to create a page break between every group. In your scenario, you can add a page break to your matrix base on the numbers of column. So that you can control the column numbers on the page. For the detail information about how to add page break on the column group, please see:
    Forum FAQ: How do I achieve column break in a matrix

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:12 AM
  • You have got to be kidding me...

I read the link and I cannot believe there is no easier way to accomplish this. This seems like the most basic functionality for SSRS. Apparently, the Microsoft Connect case on this was never resolved...

I'd like to accomplish this with as little "intervention" as possible. Altering the dataset is not an option in this case since the dataset is not derived from a SQL Server database but from a C# object. So there is no way to do the RANK_DENSE type of query.

As far as the second option is concerned, is it possible someone could possibly provide some screen shots as to how the process of creating the matrix/list steps looks?

I'm going to need to accomplish the same thing for some row groups / subgroups. Is there an easier way to accomplish the same functionality with row groups?

A. M. Robinson

• Edited by ansonee Monday, November 04, 2013 8:56 PM more info
    Monday, November 04, 2013 12:56 PM
  • I'm working on getting this to work in my reports and running into a few issues.

The first is that the code in the example is applicable if there is only one column grouping - my reports have two: a main group and a subgroup. The code for column grouping is  =Ceiling(Code.MyFunc(Fields!Plan.Value)/3)

The two columns I am grouping on are Fields!Plan and Fields!UnitStructure. How would the above grouping expression need to be modified to account for two column groups? If it doesn't need to be adjusted, could someone explain why:

- The report is not displaying just three columns of the main column grouping?

- The report is not showing NULL fields/values, as it does in the previous report.

I've attached a screen shot of the report. The top matrix is the original. As you can see, the original report column groupings spill over onto the next page

The modified report is on the bottom. As you can see, the groupings are not displaying all possible subgroups. The subgroups also start over again in a second tablix for some reason, although I don't have one in the report.

The tablix in the second report with the pagination fix is an exact duplicate of the original tablix, so not sure why the number of groups or how they're displayed would be affected.

If anyone can provide some insight, that would be fantastic!!

Thanks!!

A. M. Robinson

• Edited by ansonee Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:48 PM update
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:09 PM