Crystal Reports dropped in Visual Studio 2010???

Question

• I've been playing with the Visual Studio 2010 CTP virtual machine, and just noticed something slightly worrying - Crystal reports seems to be missing!

Has support been dropped, or will it be an optional feature or something?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:32 AM

Answers

• Hey everyone.

It turns out that Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 will be released separately, instead of included with the product. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Scott Nonnenberg
    scottno@microsoft.com
    Program Manager, Visual C# Team
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:41 PM
  • To further elaborate on Scott's answer, please see this blog that outlines SAP's plans for Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010.

Most importantly, Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 will continue to be free, with no registration required.

Thanks, Blair
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Smith Friday, December 11, 2009 11:41 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:01 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Until now, I think we could only see test version or pre-release version of Visual Studio 2010, so we have no idea of whether crystal report is supported in the RTM version of Visual Studio 2010.   However, I am sure that Microsoft will give us a better version of Visual Studio.   And I think Visual Studio product team are alwas listening to customers’ feedbacks and suggestions on Visual Studio products, so your opinion will be surely taken into consideration.  

Thanks,

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpide/thread/8e9ed0d7-11ff-402a-8489-9b5f05eeb706 http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:52 AM
  • Hi Lingzhi,

Thank you for the info.  Is there any chance you could speak to one of your colleagues in the VS team and ask them what the plans are?  I know it's not always possible to comment on the features of future releases, but it would be reassuring to hear what the intentions are.

If Crystal Reports support has been discontinued, this would be very disappointing, especially as there has been no prior notice.  If the intension is to remove support, then it really should have been flagged up as "deprecated" in VS2008 in order to give people enough notice to evaluate the alternatives.

Any further info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Monday, November 03, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for your feedback.   We are trying to send a feature request to the Visual Studio product team.   Subsequently, could you please offer some more information on the business impact of you, if Crystal Report support is missing in Visual Studio 2010? 

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpide/thread/8e9ed0d7-11ff-402a-8489-9b5f05eeb706 http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6

Monday, December 01, 2008 1:23 AM
  • Can I add to this request? We use Crystal Reports extensively in ASP.NET projects, and would be very disappointed if support IS to be dropped.

John Horbury

Industrial Technology system Ltd.
    Monday, December 08, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Hi

Lets make this one a voting session to make sure CR is added. I use it a lot!

FS
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Hi Lingzhi,

So sorry I didn't notice your second reply until now.  I've been evaluating VS2010 beta 1 and indeed, Crystal Reports has been removed from VS2010.

As for the impact, this affects roughly 15-20 different applications that are in production use which are developed at my company (we're a software house).  Across all the applications, we have literally hundreds of reports.  The cost of reworking the reports to switch to MS reporting would be prohibitive (both developer time and budget).  In addition the MS reporting technologies lack many of the more powerful features and flexibility of Crystal Reports.

We'll likely simply have to purchase the full Crystal Reports liscence from SAP, which will hopefully be compatible with Visual Studio 2010 when it's released.

-Dan

Friday, May 29, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Are we absolutely sure that Crystal reports is being dropped in 2010?
    Can someone from Microsoft address this? Thanks.

Friday, May 29, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Thanks for checking up on that for us Lingzhi.  That's great news that Crystal Report will be returning in later builds :-)
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Removal of it will impact developers greatly. We need it in the Visual Studio 2010.

Friday, June 05, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Hi,
    but it will support Framework 4?

Jorge C. Rocha
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Hey everyone.

It turns out that Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 will be released separately, instead of included with the product. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Scott Nonnenberg
    scottno@microsoft.com
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

can you send more info about this, i have 300 reports in my app.
    i can i see that working ?

i have install the VS2010 beta 2 and i want see crystal reports working.
    i have web services to print rpts.

Thanks.

Jorge C. Rocha
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

This all appears a bit worrying, as I'm finding it quite complex to run Microsofts own Reports in VS2008, Crystal Reports is much more friendly in a forms app. If CR is dropping has Reporting improved particularly with passing parameters, will it represent a viable alternative?

Thanks

John
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry for my last post.  Currently, Crystal Report will be released separately from Visual Studio 2010 as Scott has said.   

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Just to get both sides of the story, I contacted SAP (who now own BusinessObjects) regarding Visual Studio 2010 support.  Here's what they had to say: 
    Crystal will no longer be embedded within VS 2010 but there will not be a Free version of Crystal Reports for VS 2010, there will be a product available specifically for VS2010 however but I have no further information on it as of yet. I am sure that there will be a beta program nearer the release date.
    SAP BusinessObject Devision

This is somewhat different from the impression I was getting that there would possibly be a free version available as a separate download from SAP.  So there you go.  This pretty much rules out an upgrade to VS2010 for us :-(
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Just ran into the same problem. Imcredible! No backwards compatable reporting tools.
    All my applications, web or windows based, contains printable pdf reports.

From my view this was the only way to get all the nice numbers we can produce on screen out in a practical usable report. Even in pdf format.
    What are we supposed to do now?
    Are we supposed to stay in VS2008 and wait on VS2012, like we have just been standing in XP awaiting Microsoft to form Vistas into a stable 64-bit working successor?

Or am I missing something here?
    Maybe Microsoft are taking Crystal Report out after all these years to introduce a much better solution? Is this the case?
    Can anybody give me a link to an example how-to produce a nice technical report in paper with header, footers and results in nice columns preferable in pdf?

Thanks in advance.
    Bo Vistisen 
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:33 PM
  • To further elaborate on Scott's answer, please see this blog that outlines SAP's plans for Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010.

Most importantly, Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 will continue to be free, with no registration required.

Thanks, Blair
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Smith Friday, December 11, 2009 11:41 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Thanks for definitively clearing this up Blair.  That's really good news about the free version for VS2010.

MSFT would certainly lose a large number of sales of VS2010 if there was no free upgrade path for Crystal, so it's in everyone's best interests to keep things going.

It also keeps devs happy as they can continue to produce reports for free, which in turn leads to sales for you guys, as many of our customers end up purchasing the standalone Crystal products to do custom reporting, so in the end everyone benefits :-)
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:06 PM
  • I absolutely agree to Daniel. CR is an much too important part of VS for most developers.

But on the other hand there is still a bitter pill.
    First: we can't use VS 2010 beta 2 for playing an testing on our existing projects (so nice to have a theoretical chance for beta "go live" licence but so it is useless). Next: later on when VS2010 is finally released we even can't use it until CR for VS2010 is definitely released (what is if SAP changes the roadmap etc? Blog says "not later than Q3 2010" but VS is announced for Q1/Q2).
    Without CR we can't upgrade our projects which was already decided. And there is no budget and no go for changing the report engine. There are so many new features and improvements on VS2010 we waited for since VS2008.
    And plans were made for code changes in existing projects and development of new projects. That all is delayed til CR is finally available. Or is there any other possibility to use VS2010 with at least a runtime of VS2008 (I think not otherwise VS2010 beta wouldn't have complained)?

Again, it is good to hear CR is still available to VS developers but the price could possibly be high for us.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:23 AM
  • I absolutely agree to Daniel. CR is an much too important part of VS for most developers.
    I only discovered this change when upgrading an existing applicaton to 2010, only to discover that CR is missing. This was an unexpected and shocking discovery. It is good to hear that SAP will continue to support CR for VS 2010, but their timeline sucks. This totally puts a kink into our plans to upgrade as we are now held hostage to SAP.

CR is common in many .NET apps, so I am a little surprised this huge issue was not clearly laid out.

Hey, I would even be happy with an ALPHA version of CR for VS 2010.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:07 PM
  • The proposed timeline definitely gives us a longer wait time. But I'm certain that not having to adhere to the MS imposed release dates will give SAP time to make sure all features are ready for prime time when it is released.
    • Proposed as answer by Ric Miller Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:39 PM
  • this is really bad news for web developers.. this will be show stopper for migrating all ongoing projects into VS2010.. i think atleast there should be proper solution to support previous version of report files. 
    visit http://forum.only4gurus.org
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:19 PM
  • We have VS2008 / VS2010 and are in the process of pre-checking our apps work. Most of you have discovered issues, as we did. We have 43 reports in our system and each one comes up as a warning of
    "Warning 25 Cannot find custom tool CrystalDecisions.VSDesigner.CodeGen.ReportCodeGenerator' on this system. "

However, this only prevents us inline editing via Visual Studio, as we have Crystal2008 as well, double clicking on the file launches the seperate app to edit. Not ideal but a temporary workaround. Just wanted to share.

Terry

Friday, February 05, 2010 1:53 PM

• Hi all
    anyone can help me?
    How can use windows crystal-report viewer object at client profile 4?
    Are there any plan to support client profile with crystal?
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxgeneralprerelease/thread/e19c9789-4ef9-4589-bac4-63460c163c42

thanks all
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Crystal Reports by Business Objects is one of the most popular and widely used reporting solutions in the world. Yet why are so many people frustrated with it?

To answer this question you must first understand that there are two types of Business Intelligence reporting users: casual users and power users. Casual users, which typically make up 80% or more of the people in an organization, include executives, managers, staff, and business analysts. Power users, making up less than 20%, include IT developers, super users, and analytical modelers.

Stonefield Query is designed specifically for the casual user. It gives them the ability to create their own ad-hoc queries and reports, production reports, and parameterized reports from scratch without needing to know anything about programming.

Stonefield Query lets you produce row and column reports, cross-tab reports, charts/graphs, labels, etc. It works with virtually any database including: Oracle, SQL, DB2, MySql, Sybase, Pervasive, and more. It also comes with built-in scheduling. Stonefield Query can even run Crystal Reports.

Bottom line: give a casual user a BI tool designed for them.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Hi first Thanks For All Information but i have a qustion

I download Crystal Report beta and install it but i just can make Crystal Reports but i can't untill now see crystal report viewer ? ?

Thanks In Advance

Saturday, May 08, 2010 11:48 PM
  • We have installed CR v.11 on machines. Now, with the VS 2005 everything worked.

When moved to VS 2010 the references to CrystalReports (Engine.dll, Shared.dll) "TheSystem cannot found".

So, I browse for these dlls and add it explicitly. Any effect, "The system cannot find the reference specified" still persists.

When I tried to set the target Framework to 2.0 (by default set to 4.0) the references to CrystalReports reappeared.

This is surely a VS 2010 bug.

Bug report on Microsoft Connect .

Best regards, Sergiu
    Friday, May 21, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Hey Scott Nonnenberg,

I am trying to use beta version of Crystal Report in visual studio 2010 full version but i am facing problem to select created crystalReport.rpt file in ReportViewer.

When I Add new CrystalReport.rpt file its icon does not look like as same as CrystalReport 's icon but simple notpad type icon it displays.

It always gives me the following error...

Error:

An error occurred while adding a strongly-typed reportdocument. The report may be corrupt or invalid

Please help me if u have any solution.

Thanks in Advance.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Guys, is there still no release from SAP for this? this breaks several winform apps i have and I cannot upgrade them to 2010 until it is fixed.

Monday, July 05, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Guys, is there still no release from SAP for this? this breaks several winform apps i have and I cannot upgrade them to 2010 until it is fixed.

You might have wait a while unfortunately.  The release was due in June, then July, but now it's been put back until November 2010 (yikes!)  See here:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/19780

Monday, July 05, 2010 3:43 PM
  • That's quite unfortunate... Maybe this will make Microsoft rethink their reporting solution.

I was going to upgrade quite soon, but, with this news, and most of my apps relying on Crystal Reports integration, I won't be until at least the new year once CR is released and they've ironed out all the bugs which are likely to be present.

SAP should have had this sorted out long ago to be in time with the VS release.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Hi everybody,

Can anybody tell if Crystal Report is available  for Visual Studio 2010 ?

I have downloaded a version on SAP website (http://www.businessobjects.com/jump/xi/crvs2010/default.asp) , but it doesn't install properly

Thanks

Monday, August 09, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Hi everybody,

Can anybody tell if Crystal Report is available  for Visual Studio 2010 ?

I have downloaded a version on SAP website (http://www.businessobjects.com/jump/xi/crvs2010/default.asp) , but it doesn't install properly

Thanks

Have you tried the new beta 2 version that was made available last week?  See here:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20322

Monday, August 09, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Guys, this is looking like a non-starter for people that can't buy CR.  Look at these excerpts from the SAP CR download agreement:

1. Scope Under this Agreement Customer is granted on a loan basis a 90-days free trial to test and evaluate the following software (hereinafter "the Software") for temporary installation on the platform specified and the test site designated in Appendix 1.

So, after 90 days it's not free?

2. License Rights and Intellectual Property
    [legalese snipped]... Customer shall not use the Software for any productive purposes.

So much for production applications.

This is of course a beta version intended for testing only.  But I see nothing that defines whether or not the CR VS2010 plugin will be gratis or cost.  Does anyone have any insight?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Per the previous posts in this thread, SAP's management team (Blair) has stated that this is a free download to be used in your production apps.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14514
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I am curious.  If we install this beta version, when the actual release comes out, will we be required to unistall and before installing the release?

Will reports we develop with the Beta run fine with the new release?

Friday, September 03, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Sorry to disapoint people here but I just tried to install the Beta 2 of Crystal Report for Visual Studio 2010 and my application still report

"An error occured while attempting to load the Crystal Report Runtime"

And the message continue saying I have to go to www.businessobject.com/suport to download CRRedist.  What the......... ?
    All this doesn't make sence

The application is targetting the .NEt Framework 2.0 anyway and every single dll cor Crystal Report are referenced correctly

WHAT NEXT ?

Friday, September 03, 2010 2:15 PM
  • crystal "releases" are worse than most betas, so I wouldnt touch a crystal beta.
    • Proposed as answer by Stevishere Friday, September 03, 2010 2:51 PM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 2:34 PM
  • after uninstalling it and reinstalling it, it now says Cannot install product,  It's not compatible with the current installation  but which installation is it talking about here.  I have nothing install and my system is completely empty of any Crystal Report stuff

Friday, September 03, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Hello.

I'm not 100% sure about that but maybe it's because the betas are only for .NET 4.0?

Monday, October 04, 2010 8:53 AM
  • I had downloaded CRforNET40_x64 from SAP website and installed it in Windows 7 64bit, but crystal report assemblies are still missing. Please Help Me, my project is not working due to these assemblies. Following error occured while Build. The type or namespace name 'CrystalDecisions' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:04 AM
  • Hi Brian,

--Disregard the original post; I read Blair's blog.  However, http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/18826 pretty much puts the kabosh on Web apps.

*Original post below*

What about Dan Smith's post from Nov 17th, '09?  Sounds like it's straight from the horse's mouth:

Just to get both sides of the story, I contacted SAP (who now own BusinessObjects) regarding Visual Studio 2010 support.  Here's what they had to say: 
    Crystal will no longer be embedded within VS 2010 but there will not be a Free version of Crystal Reports for VS 2010, there will be a product available specifically for VS2010 however but I have no further information on it as of yet. I am sure that there will be a beta program nearer the release date.
    SAP BusinessObject Devision

This is somewhat different from the impression I was getting that there would possibly be a free version available as a separate download from SAP.  So there you go.  This pretty much rules out an upgrade to VS2010 for us :-(
    • Edited by philhege2 Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:52 PM Updated information
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:42 PM
  • I downloaded the 32bit and assemblies are missing too. I'm really disapointed!
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Go to the root directory where you had previously installed the application and delete the folder SAP Objects and try reinstalling the thing again. Note that assemblies are missing, you know how to go around this? Hope this sorts you if your libraries are available! Thank you
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Hi,Sir I started working with visual studio 2010 ,So how can i download crystal report software from net,Please send me that link to "chakri.cd@gmail.com". Thanks Chakri.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Download the version from the SAP website in order to use the report viewer controls and other libraries

follow the link below

thanks

http://www.businessobjects.com/jump/xi/crvs2010/default.asp

Beautiful Distractions...
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:40 AM
  • I would also take a look at this:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes_boj/sdn_oss_boj_bi/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes%7B6163636573733d36393736354636443646363436353344333933393338323636393736354637333631373036453646373436353733354636453735364436323635373233443330333033303331333533343334333633363339%7D.do

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:31 PM
  • 3 tips if you want to use crystal report. Net 2010:

1. Crystal Reports .NET is no longer included with Visual Studio .NET 2010. it is a separate download. Use this link to download it to your application and install it after you have installed Visual Studio .NET 2010.

http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_13_0_1.exe

2. You will find that the Crystal Reports viewer is strangely missing from the Visual Studio toolbox. To fix this go to Project > Properties > Compile > Advanced Compiler Settings > Target framework(all configurations) > .NET

Framework 4. Set the Target Framework to be .NET Framework 4. After doing so, you application will close and re-open and the viewer will now be in the toolbox.

3. The Crystal Reports DLLs were written with .NET Framework 2 and they are compatible with Framework 4 as wel. But your application needs to have mixed-mode compatibility turned on for it to use the Crystal assemblies. To fix

this go to Solution Explorer > app.config.  You should add this property to the Startup tag in the app.config file.

useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true"

Detail as follows:

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true"><supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/></startup></configuration>

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi All and thank you for clarifying a few points Erwin.

CR for VS 2010 is free to install, the usual licensing distribution as CR typically has always been. Blair Wheadon also posted a link on how all of the CR licensing works now.

To get all of the latest install and distribution packages see these links:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/crystalreports-dotnet
    Knowledge Center

Don Williams
    • Proposed as answer by SAPDon Monday, July 04, 2011 4:22 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Hey everyone.

Scott Nonnenberg
    scottno@microsoft.com

i'm c#.net(4.0) user!
    its ok but when i download whole sap package the installation couldnt install and stop with the message "setup no longer responding"

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hi Harsh,

You may have to be patient, there are a lot of files and integration that CR is doing. Not Responding is typically due to the installer or app jumping into some back ground process so the main setup.exe loses focus and then it shows not responding, sometimes being patient is all that is needed.

Go into C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging and you'll find a log file which is generated with the install. Look in there to see if CR logged what the delay or cause was.

You must be using any other version than the VS Express versions and be a full PC administrator, Plug-ins are not supported in VS Express versions, CR is a plug-in. If you are running the installer from a share try copying it locally and then run it.

When it extracts the default doesn't specify a drive letter, change it to c:\myinstall or something like that. Delete any install folders you may have had and also empty your %user%\temp folder, may be something in there causing the installer to fail.

If you have a c:\temp folder also rename it to c:\mytemp.

Also check your registry. Usual WARNING about manually editing your registry... If you are on a 64 bit OS delete this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP BusinessObjects as well as HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP BusinessObjects

Thank you

Don

Don Williams
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Use this location and install the standard package....works for me!!

http://www.businessobjects.com/jump/xi/crvs2010/us2_default.asp

Friday, July 01, 2011 4:58 PM