none
Looking for Small Basic Student Testimonials (updated to age 13 and under)!!!

All replies

• I started with SB when I was 12 (7th grade). I am now in the 10th grade but would write a testamonial on how far it has gotten me. Am I elgible? Thanks!

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:38 PM
  • I started with SB when I was 12 (7th grade). I am now in the 10th grade but would write a testamonial on how far it has gotten me. Am I elgible? Thanks!

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Yes. Perfect! If you can remember your first experiences when you were 12, that would be great. Thank you!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:47 PM
  • I am 10 years old. I went through the first few Curriculum Guide lessons with another classmate and a teacher when I was 9, but after that, I just felt like going at my own pace, so I went ahead and self-taught myself the rest of them. I was doing around 3 or more lessons a day, and it was very fun seeing the results of what just a few lines of code could do. I decided that it got boring just copy/pasting those programs into the Small Basic UI, so for every lesson, I tried to make my own program using what I had learned from all the lessons I had done. I was making programs to draw a man growing chicken pox, have the user control the turtle to eat apples, and other miscellaneous things. Now, from all that I have learned from looking at others' programs on the Small Basic forum, I have memorized basically all the objects, properties, functions, and keywords of the Small Basic language and how they are useful. In fact, I have actually learned what the sine and cosine functions can do while writing programs. I have been monitoring the Small Basic forum for a long time, but I didn't have an account here until a while ago. I like helping with others' problems on this forum and writing miscellaneous programs.

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Thanks Noah and Math Man!

Math Man, I added your testimony to the blog post.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Dang... When I started, I was 13. Outta the range :(

I LOVE Small Basic! 'A computer without code is like a car without gasoline.' 'Just as gasoline needs a pump to get it into the car, code needs a person to enter it into a computer... That makes me feel important!' Both quotes by me

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:17 AM
  • I started at 12 (13 now), and I have to say, SB is quite fascinating. The UI is well designed, the code pretty much works the way its expected, and you have ultimate control of the programming.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Nuts. I started at 13 (14 now)

One thing that is impossible is impossible no matter if it is proven so first.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:49 PM
  • I started at 12 (13 now), and I have to say, SB is quite fascinating. The UI is well designed, the code pretty much works the way its expected, and you have ultimate control of the programming.

Creative One, I added your testimony here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2012/10/25/small-basic-elementary-student-testimonials.aspx

Let me know if there's anything you want to add that's more story like. Thanks!

Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Nuts. I started at 13 (14 now)

LOL! Well that's three people so far who started at 13... Noah, Joman, and Zock.

So I'll add Noah's testimony and increase the age to 13.

Joman and Zock, please reply with your testimonies so I can add them to the blog.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:52 PM
  • I am 13 years old, and I "Think [Small Basic] is a great way to get kids and adults alike into the world of programming. I think that the simple UI makes it easy to focus on the code, and not the hassle of some more advanced languages."

-Noah J. Buscher "Coding is Art"

Noah, I added your testimony here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2012/10/25/small-basic-elementary-student-testimonials.aspx

Let me know if you want to add something to it to make it more story like.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:00 PM
  • I started using Small Basic when I was 11, around two years ago, and I was amazed at how simple coding actually turned out to be. Learning a language like this is probably the best step one can take in their path to learning more advanced languages. Since then I have learned 5 other languages, but I can still look back at how far I came, and remember the good old times.

Thanks Small Basic for launching my life into a better direction

~~AirWaves!!~~

Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Well I have been wanting to program since I was around 8 years old but, all the languages I found were just too big of a step (Even with a bigger brother who know almost all of them) but than my Dad found small basic. and I have been programming with that. Now I just stepping into visual basic!

Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:36 PM
  • I had been looking for programming software since I was 12 (grade 7), and found Small Basic when I was 13 (grade 8). I worked through the tutorials one at a time, and because of the language being easily comprehensible, I caught on fast! To this day (grade 10), I am still learning new things about it, but am able to make some cool (but simple) programs. I love how Small Basic uses a language close to English; easy to use "psuedo-code" if I forget something. Small Basic is a great first step to programming, and I am so glad I found it!

TextWindow.Write("Do you like Small Basic? Y/N: ")
    yn = TextWindow.Read()
    If yn = "Y" Then
    TextWindow.WriteLine("High-Five! You are awesome!")
    ElseIf yn = "N" Then
    TextWindow.WriteLine("Deep down inside, you like Small Basic :)")
    EndIf

Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:02 PM
  • I started using Small Basic when I was 11, around two years ago, and I was amazed at how simple coding actually turned out to be. Learning a language like this is probably the best step one can take in their path to learning more advanced languages. Since then I have learned 5 other languages, but I can still look back at how far I came, and remember the good old times.

Thanks Small Basic for launching my life into a better direction

~~AirWaves!!~~

AirWaves, this is amazing! I added your testimony to the list: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2012/10/25/small-basic-elementary-student-testimonials.aspx

What's amazing is that you've learned 5 other languages and felt like you've come a long way, but it's only been two years!!!

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:28 AM
  • Great, thank you Zock and Joman! I added your tesimonies here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2012/10/25/small-basic-elementary-student-testimonials.aspx

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:42 AM
  • You are welcome, Mr. Price!

The blog is looking great!

TextWindow.Write("Do you like Small Basic? Y/N: ")
    yn = TextWindow.Read()
    If yn = "Y" Then
    TextWindow.WriteLine("High-Five! You are awesome!")
    ElseIf yn = "N" Then
    TextWindow.WriteLine("Deep down inside, you like Small Basic :)")
    EndIf

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Hello i am Amir a 12 year old 8th grade student from India.

The story began when our school organised a visit to Microsoft India centre last year. A guy from Microsoft gave us a presentation how small school children can easily learn the concept of "Computer Programming" using Small Basic. Now Small Basic is being taught in our school instead of "C++" which was like a nightmare for us and i used to think that there are pre-defined codes for every single task i was wrong though. Thanks to Small Basic it helped me to learn the "ABCD" of programming and now i can transform my imaginations right into the computer program.

They say working hard is good but i say working smart is best...

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Hello,

I'm now 13 and I startet programing when I was 12.

I first startet with an easy German language (because I am a German), but it had a lot of funktions, wich had not explained.

Because the language was German, there wasn't many people who were using it and could it explain to me, I startet to code in Small Basic.

It's really fascinating to code things wich seems to be very easy and operations you usually do automatical in your mind, becaus it's really funny to see how bright such a simple thing can be.

And  of cause it's a wonderful feeling to see a program working if you had spent a lots of time by writing it.

I hope this can help you and you understand my English.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Thank you to Amir and Flostian! I added your testimonies here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2012/10/25/small-basic-elementary-student-testimonials.aspx

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:29 AM