none
Visual Studio Professional 2013 always crashes on start

Question

• Hi,

I have Visual Studio 2013 Express installed on my machine, and realised I need Professional to install a few add-ins I require. I installed the Professional Trial version - and now both Express & Professional crashes when I try to open it. I just get the message "Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

• I'm using Windows 8.1.
    • I've updated my display drivers to the latest version.
    • I've updated Windows to the latest version.
    • I've tried opening devenv.exe in SafeMode with no luck either, and I've tried /Log but couldn't find the log file anywhere. 
    • This is a brand new installation of Visual Studio, I haven't tried to use it once.

I did however manage to find this in the Event Viewer(unsure if it will help):

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
    <Level>2</Level> 
    <Task>100</Task> 
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-23T07:07:56.000000000Z" /> 
    <EventRecordID>54354</EventRecordID> 
    <Channel>Application</Channel> 
    <Computer>ash-8</Computer> 
    <Security /> 
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>devenv.exe</Data> 
    <Data>12.0.21005.1</Data> 
    <Data>524fcb34</Data> 
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data> 
    <Data>6.3.9600.16408</Data> 
    <Data>523d4548</Data> 
    <Data>e0434352</Data> 
    <Data>00012eec</Data> 
    <Data>b5c</Data> 
    <Data>01cee81abb526356</Data> 
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe</Data> 
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data> 
    <Data>f9b8e1be-540d-11e3-be73-94de80b3745a</Data> 
    <Data /> 
     <Data /> 

</EventData>
     </Event>

Please can someone help point me in the right direction, I'm supposed to be evaluating Microsoft products for use in our company and I'm very keen on getting this to work. Thanks for reading :)

Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:15 AM

Answers

• Thank you very much for the response! 

I've tried all of these:

1.devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

2.devenv.exe /installvstemplates

3.devenv.exe /resetsettings

4.devenv.exe /resetuserdata

With no success. I've eventually formatted my hard-drive and reinstalled windows a few times to try and get it sorted - It looks like it was an issue with Xamarin Studio. Every worked fine until I installed it and it started breaking.

I'm very sorry for have wasting your time. (Apparently it was supposed to support 2013 - but I managed to get everything working with 2012 instead).

• Marked as answer by Dylan Janeke Monday, November 25, 2013 7:47 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I can't get any useful message from the log.

About your question, you could try other commands to  reset VS to the default settings.

Note that the above steps are unrelated and so checking if your issue has been resolved, after every step may help you save time on steps that were not required!

If it can't solve your question, I need you use the command "devenv.exe /log" to collect the log.

By default the log file is:

%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<version>\ActivityLog.xml.

where <version> is the Visual Studio version.

However, you may specify an alternate path and file name.

Devenv /log <path/name of log file>

More Information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=vs.120).aspx

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Thank you very much for the response! 

I've tried all of these:

With no success. I've eventually formatted my hard-drive and reinstalled windows a few times to try and get it sorted - It looks like it was an issue with Xamarin Studio. Every worked fine until I installed it and it started breaking.

I'm very sorry for have wasting your time. (Apparently it was supposed to support 2013 - but I managed to get everything working with 2012 instead).

• Marked as answer by Dylan Janeke Monday, November 25, 2013 7:47 AM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 7:47 AM
  • I had the same issue, and I did all of steps that Dylan has said. I got no result yet! What is wrong with the Visual Studio 2013?! Please answer, I can't find any solution, should I downgrade my Windows, or my Visual Studio? PLEASE GIVE ME A SOLUTION! Thanks.
    Monday, May 26, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Hi Mohammad,

The thread is to long age. Please create a new thread with your issue. We will help you solve your issue in the new thread.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:56 AM