none
SSRS: The unattended execution account could not be set at this time. No matter what account we use.

Question

• We can not add a SSRS Execution Account with an error saying the following:  "The unattended execution account could not be set at this time." The following is the detail from the message.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004023F)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.SetUnattendedExecutionAccount(String userName, SecureString password)
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.SetUnattendedExecutionAccount(String userName, SecureString password)
    The unattended execution account can not be added at this time.  
    system.runtime.interopservices.comexception reporting services configuration manager unattended execution account

I am at a facility that has 6 SSRS clusters with various node combinations of 2, 3 or 4 nodes.  Three of our clusters allow us to set up an execution account on every node.  Three of our clusters do NOT allow us to set up an execution account on ANY node.  If any node in the cluster has the problem, they all have the problem on each node.  Even when you remove nodes from the scale out deployment, the individual server node has the problem.

We have tried the following:

1. When this error occurs, you can try any valid account and password, it fails.
    2. We check to ensure no account was locked out.
    3. We checked that the domain controllers were not rejecting the request.  They aren’t even being used at all for these ids we keep trying, the controllers aren’t getting reached.  The problem appears to be either local or cluster based.
    4. We found that as long as we type in the same password twice, the error occurs.  It does NOT have a chance to check to see if the password is invalid as we tried this to see if the accounts were the actual problem.
    5. We have tried both interactive service accounts and user accounts, with both full admin rights to the server, or just interactive (Allow logon locally) and "access this computer from the network". 
    6. Each account we try has had full access to the databases.
    7. We tried adding the accounts with the RS Configuration tool.  No luck.
    8. There are no entries in ANY of the event logs to show any problem.  Nothing at all.
    9. There are no entries in the SSRS logs to show any problem.  We even turned on verbose logging.  Nothing at all.
    10.  We ensured the accounts in question had rights to the RS Config files that store the encrypted unattended execution account details.
    11.  We have on Development environment that works, and one Development environment that doesn’t work.  We have two staging servers, and they both do not allow it.  Strangely, both of our production servers work.  But we used the same slipstreamed SQL software to do the installation, so really; it’s only different by way of the registration key.
    12.  We have rebooted the instances and nodes, as well as restarted the SSRS Services over and over again to resolve the problem.

The following is the error message that we get when we run it from RSConfig:  The syntax of the command and the location where we ran it was exactly the same, except for password and user id as appropriate to the server (so we know our syntax is correct for our environments). 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn>rsconfig -e -u <username> -p <password> -t
    System.Exception: Error: HRESULT=0x8004023F For more information, see the event log in the Event Viewer.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.ConfigManagement.ConfigFileApp.InstanceMain()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.BaseCmdLine.CommandLineMain(String[] args, BaseCmdLine instance)

There was nothing in the event log from the RSCONFIG attempt shown above.

Our configuration: SQL Server 2012 Enterprise and Developer (11.0.3339), SSRS 2012, Windows 2008 r2 Enterprise.

Any help would be appreciated!  Please check any suggestions with our list of what we have tried before replying!

Thanks,

Keith

• Edited by Greenmtnsun Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:38 PM Changed the RS Config error message
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30 PM

Answers

• With the help of a premier support ticket with Microsoft, we resolved the issue.

We were commenting out the email delivery extention in the RSConfig file.  When that is commented out, you can NOT specify an execution account.

The work around:

1, Add the execution account, restart SSRS service. 

2. Save the RSConfig file for safe keeping.

3. Change the RSConfig file and comment out the email delivery extention, restart SSRS service.

In my opinion, its a bug, but I'm negotiating with my premier support rep to see about getting credited for my ticket.

• Marked as answer by Greenmtnsun Monday, November 04, 2013 10:34 PM
    Monday, November 04, 2013 10:34 PM

All replies

• When configuring the unattended execution account, you must use a domain user account. To serve its intended purpose, this account should be different than the one used to run the Report Server service.
    Configure the Unattended Execution Account
    Monday, October 28, 2013 1:55 AM
  • I was hoping that by laying out points 1-5, and point 10, that one would be able to tell that these are in fact domain accounts.  In case it wasn't clear, these are in fact domain accounts.  They are also differrent than the one used to run the report server service.  We are following best practices for account management.

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Hi Greenmtnsun,

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Just so you know we tried two more things:
    1. Mofcomp; "mofcomp reportingservices.mof"  That didn't work.
    2. We tried running rsconfig from a server that also runs SSRS, has the same configuration, but allows me to set its own execution account.  That didn't work; we still get the HRESULT=0x8004023F error.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:42 PM
  • With the help of a premier support ticket with Microsoft, we resolved the issue.

We were commenting out the email delivery extention in the RSConfig file.  When that is commented out, you can NOT specify an execution account.

The work around:

1, Add the execution account, restart SSRS service. 

2. Save the RSConfig file for safe keeping.

3. Change the RSConfig file and comment out the email delivery extention, restart SSRS service.

In my opinion, its a bug, but I'm negotiating with my premier support rep to see about getting credited for my ticket.

• Marked as answer by Greenmtnsun Monday, November 04, 2013 10:34 PM
    Monday, November 04, 2013 10:34 PM