Will Windows8 run on Virtual PC?

Question

• I don't want to mess up my m/c. Can I run Windows 8 in a virtual environment or dual boot it with Windows 7?
    Regards
    Partha Mandayam
    IT Consultant
    Invacare
    http://weblogs.asp.net/pmandayam
    http://partha.tripod.com
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Developer preview doesn't support VPC. you’ll need to install the OS to a clean machine, a machine you’re willing to dual boot with Windows 7, or Windows Server with Hyper-V.   
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:00 AM
  • You probably want to ask in a Windows compatibly forum like those on technet. This forum is for helping app developers to fix comparability problems in their apps.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:02 AM
  • mcp111 wrote:

I don't want to mess up my m/c. Can I run Windows 8 in a virtual environment or dual boot it with Windows 7?

Runs fine under VirtualBox.

Tony

Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
    For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files   updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:25 PM
  • And on VMware Workstation 8.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:32 PM
  • You can create a .VHD file in Windows 7 and then install Windows 8 to that virtual hard drive and Dual Boot between the two.  
    • Proposed as answer by FredrikNilsson_ Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by FredrikNilsson_ Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:45 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:43 PM
  • I installed Windows 8 on VMWare Workstation 8.0 yesterday, so far no issues encountered. I will do a clean install on a system as soon as I gather my spare parts to put a test bed together. I'm currently running VMWare 8 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard system. No issues installing Windows 8 on VMWare 8.0 workstation.
    Glenn M. Keawe
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I also installed it on VMWare Workstation 8.0, it works fine, but my internet and sound card do not work in it.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Does your internet and sound card work in Windows 8?
    Regards
    Partha Mandayam
    IT Consultant
    CVS
    http://weblogs.asp.net/pmandayam
    http://partha.tripod.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Why install it into some thing else when you can go directly at a VHD located on your PC.

Check out this article by Hans Vredevoort

http://www.hyper-v.nu/archives/hvredevoort/2011/09/how-to-boot-from-vhd-with-windows-8-developer-preview/
    Exellent article, check that out and you'll be home free :)

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer". Fredrik Nilsson | MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Have you installed the VMware Tools?

For the Network card, try to choose another simulation mode (NAT, Bridge etc.). Sometimes it helps.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:48 PM
  • If you have a second hard drive that is blank, put the developer preview on it. Make sure you know if machine is 32 bit or 64 bit and install the one that is appropriate. Before rebooting it would be wise to rename your c drive to what ever you choose.

1. Insert DVD.

2. Reboot.

3. Press f12 This brings up your boot priority. Most newer machines manufacturers disable DVD boot to increase boot speed.

4. Select your DVD or CD drive. Some times it is listed as CD even though it is DVD. These 2 steps aren't necessary on half the machine out there.

5. It will ask you to press a key.

6. Wait a bit

7. Follow the prompts, wait a bit more, read the TOU and agree.

6. It will ask you where you want to put the os. The answer should be obvious.

It is best to go in the bios before installing and set boot priority to the intended win8 drive. It will restart several times to apply all the settings. This will help avoid issues. But if you are scared of the bios you can press f12 on every boot and select the right hard drive. For me it is easier to go in the bios.

I have 6 hard drives all dual partitioned so each one can be bootable if I chose too.

I hope this helps.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Have you installed the VMware Tools?

For the Network card, try to choose another simulation mode (NAT, Bridge etc.). Sometimes it helps.

It won't let me install VMware Tools, and I have tried every type of network card and nothing happened.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:56 PM
  • That's strange. I am running still the beta version of VMware Workstation 8 and the Tools installed correctly.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:27 PM
  • I think it won't let me because when I first set up the Virtual Machine, I put "Other" not "Windows 7" so it can install correctly, but now VMWare think's I am not using Windows so it won't let me install the tools.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:41 PM
  • You can change that setting in the Virtual Machine Settings dialog on the Options tab, General item in the list.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:04 PM
  • I am dula booting it did it just like below 3 steps and all working fine except cannot shutdown or find the button to shutdown use cntrol-alt-delete to shutdown here are 3 steps to dual boot with win 7 32 bit like i said works dula booting fine on 2-32 bit

have not done 64bit yet    tep One: Create a New Partition

Full sizeBefore you start, make a backup of your data—you're going to be formatting drives and installing OSes, so anything could go wrong, and you don't want to lose your whole system. When you're ready, we'll need to create some space for Windows 8 on your hard drive. Assuming you have at least 20GB of space free on your drive, you're going to use Windows' Disk Management to set partition those 20GB for Windows 8. Open the Start Menu and right click on the "Computer" option. Click "Manage", and in the window that appears, click on "Disk Management" in the left sidebar.

Find your system hard disk in the graphical list that appears in the bottom pane. Right-click on it and then click "Shrink Volume". Shrink it down so you have at least 20GB of space left on the end of the drive, and click OK. Then, click on the "Unallocated" block of that drive that appears and click "New Simple Volume". Click Next on the next few windows until you get to the "Format Partition" window. Here, give it a volume label you'll recognize (like "Windows 8") and click Next. It should format the drive for you. Now you're all set to install Windows 8.

Step Two: Install Windows 8

If you haven't downloaded the Developer Preview ISO yet, head over to the Windows Developer Center and download it. Burn it onto a DVD using something like ImgBurn, or burn it to a thumb drive if you don't have a DVD drive in your machine. Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD or USB, stick in your installation media, and reboot.

Full sizeIf you get a prompt to "Press any key to boot from DVD", then hit a key on your keyboard. You should boot right into the Windows 8 installer. It actually looks almost exactly like the Windows 7 installer, so it should seem a little familiar. Just pick your language, hit "Install Now", and choose "Custom" when asked what type of install you'd like to perform.

On the next screen, find your new partition on the list of drives. Make sure it's the right one, because you're about to write over whatever's on it. Hit "Next" and let the installer do its thing. When you're done, your computer should reboot into Windows 8. It'll probably reboot one more time after it does, then you'll be greeted with the Windows 8 Start screen. If you choose to enter a Windows Live ID here, make sure you have access to your email and can confirm your computer—otherwise it might not let you boot into it.

Step Three: Make Windows 7 the Default (Optional)

Full sizeYou'll notice when you first boot up into Windows 8 that you're presented with a new graphical boot menu that'll let you choose between your Windows 7 and Windows 8 installations. Windows 8 will be the default, meaning if you don't manually choose Windows 7 from the menu, your computer will boot into Windows 8 after three seconds of inactivity. Chances are, you don't want to make Windows 8 the default quite yet, so here's how to make Windows 7 the default.

On the boot menu, click on the button at the bottom that says "Change Defaults or Choose Other Options", and hit "Choose the Default Operating System". From there, you can pick Windows 7 from the menu. From now on, your computer will boot into Windows 7 by default, but if you feel like playing around with Windows 8 that day, you can just pick it from the boot menu. Enjoy playing with the developer preview, and let us know what you think in the comments.

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Developer preview doesn't support VPC. you’ll need to install the OS to a clean machine, a machine you’re willing to dual boot with Windows 7, or Windows Server with Hyper-V.   

I am using Windows 8 on virtual machine only. 

Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Hello,

Steven Sinofsky has a new entry in the Building Windows 8 blog that has some good information: 

Running Windows 8 Developer Preview in a virtual environment

Thanks

Michael

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:51 PM
  • After hearing that Win8 Preview would NOT run under VMWare Player 3.1X, but would run under VMWare Workstation 8.0 (for which you can get a 30 day trial; and this included VMWare Player 4, which couldn't be downloaded separately), I downloaded Workstation 8 and the ISO installed just fine (2 Gig memory; just called it Win7). But the clock was running on the trial, and I was forced to uninstall WMWare Workstation (or pay up!). At that point, I noted that the VMWare Website now advertised VMWare Player 4 as being available as a free download (no time limit, no $$). I downloaded it and installed. Fortunately, the uninstall of Workstation did not also remove the virtual machines (also had a Ubuntu flavor VM) I had already created. And VMWare Player 4 "found" those VMs and opened them just fine.

What I can't answer is if VMPlayer 4 would successfully CREATE a Win8 VM, or whether I just lucked out that Workstation could create it and VMPlayer could USE an already-created Win8 VM. (Also, the Additions installed and worked as expected).

Also, I should note that I tried VirtualBox as I saw my time running out on the Workstation trial. No joy in my hands. I tried to CREATE a Win8 VM using instructions I found on the Web, to no success. (Got part way into the install of Win8 onto the VirtualBox created "partition", and then just it "died" with no error messages given). I also tried to "export" the OVF from WorkStation and then "import" that into VirtualBox. No joy there, either.

Meanwhile, despite Microsoft's concerns about non-optimal experience using Win8 Preview under a virtual machine setup, I've had no real issues. Even seems relatively "snappy" (Core i5 Toshiba laptop; 4 Gig installed memory; 2 Gig virtual machine, with the VM given access to all 4 cores).

HTH.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:22 PM