none
Approval workflow gives Error Occured in a SharePoint list

Question

• Hi,

We have a SharePoint list where we configured an Approval worflow, While creating an new item and sending it for approval to no of users it simply gives an error " Error Occured" it shows in progress for few minutes and gives the error. we cheked the workflow settings it looks fine. Not sure what could be the issue. In the same list the approval workflow is working fine before. Please share if any workaround for this.

Thank you

Regards, Thillai

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:29 PM

Answers

• Thanks to Mellisa and all those are trying to resolve my issue, We have solved te issue and here is the resolution

Issue description: When you create a item in a SharePoint list where the workflow configured it gives an error.

Error Messge: The status shows that simply “Error Occurred “, After checking the workflow history you can see the error “Error  System Account  An error has occured in Work Flow task.”

Resolution:

After digging the approvers list on the workflow settings as we found that the user account (XXXXXXXX <Domain\User ID> who left the Org) has added in the workflow approvers list, It has caused the workflow issue, After removing the user account from the approvers list, unchecked (you must) the Update the approval status (use this workflow to control content approval check box, then the workflow is working fine without any issues.

Regards, Thillai
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:19 AM

All replies

• You can click on the "Error Occurred" and get a little more information.  It might say something like "Error Updating a List Item", then look over to the far right and it might say "unknown error" or "access denied".  If it tells you access is denied then the permissions on the list have probably been changed recently and will need to be adjusted.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the reply.

I searched and got on XL report that contains the cancelled and error occured workflows report, I am sharing the report here.

Workflow ID List User Event Outcome Duration (Hours) Description
    {2dc63825-2f7c-4533-9d9c-f93c05fa465b} Account closure follow up System Account Error   15.20303246   An error has occured in Account closure follow up WF.
    {378e4246-e105-4349-8e3f-d5ab2f1fd85a} Account closure follow up XXXXXX (Username) Task Rolled Back Reason: The user who attempted to complete the task is not the user to whom the task is assigned. 0  Task update by User01, XYXYX was rejected.

From this What I could understood is if the user account a "System Account" then the error got occured and if the user account is a XXXX user it does not give that error and works fine.  No unknown error" or "access denied. So is the issue with the System account?

Regards, Thillai

Friday, July 15, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Who was the user that in the workflow that didn't error - was that your account?  And, was the user for the workflow that ran using system account a typical end-user?
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Domain\XXXX user who has the contrbute access on the SharePoint site didnot get the error. The system account is not a typical user account. but it is used to run the workflow.

Regards, Thillai
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:59 AM
  • I do know what the system account is - but it does carry over permissions of who initiated the workflow.  What I was aiming at was that if you were the user in which the workflow ran fine, but a regular end-user was the one that initiated it (ran as system account) then it would be a permissions issue.  If your workflow is updating or adding items to a list or library that the regular end-user does not have contribute rights to then it would error. 

What are the steps / actions in your workflow?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

have you checked the ULS logs to find out the error in detail?

If yes then post that here so that we can have a look on that.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:33 PM
  • The task must be assigned to an approver, and the task should be completed by the approver.
    Young
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Thanks to Mellisa and all those are trying to resolve my issue, We have solved te issue and here is the resolution

Issue description: When you create a item in a SharePoint list where the workflow configured it gives an error.

Error Messge: The status shows that simply “Error Occurred “, After checking the workflow history you can see the error “Error  System Account  An error has occured in Work Flow task.”

Resolution:

After digging the approvers list on the workflow settings as we found that the user account (XXXXXXXX <Domain\User ID> who left the Org) has added in the workflow approvers list, It has caused the workflow issue, After removing the user account from the approvers list, unchecked (you must) the Update the approval status (use this workflow to control content approval check box, then the workflow is working fine without any issues.

Regards, Thillai
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:19 AM