Visual Studio 2010 crashes all the time

Question

• Does anyone know why VS 2010 crashes so often, and how to fix it?
    Greg H.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert

Sorry to hear you are seeing crashes with Visual Studio 2010.

Without some more details of what you are doing when VS crashes, it will be difficult to help out.

Does it always happen in the same scenario/activity?

Can you make the crash happen repeatably, or is it random?

When the crash happens, do any entries get made in the Event Log?

Have you tried to capture a crash dump for the crash (see item 2 in the FAQ here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wpfsldesigner/archive/2010/02/15/general-wpf-and-silverlight-designer-faq.aspx )?

Thanks

Mark

Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:45 AM
  • I know this thread is pretty stale, but I found it because I'm experiencing the same thing.

I just installed VS 2010 and immediately applied SP1.  Then I converted an old solution that was about a 90/10 mix of C# and unmanaged C++.

Looking at the Output window between crashes, it appears that all the crashes are related to the C++ projects. 

It couldn't find a .tlb file on include - <crash>

Apparently there's been a syntax restriction; std::string.npos no longer works (use std::string::npos) - <crash>

Clean Project - <crash>  (this one surprised me)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Whether or not the thread is stale. I experience crashes five or six times daily. I usually have 2 or more instances of VS open and I usually have multiple windows open across a quad monitor setup. I am not too keen on capturing logs to detect defects on VS2010 its not my job. I want it to work as expected and as advertised. 
    jad
    Friday, September 02, 2011 10:06 PM