none
Creating a SSRS report with dynamic overlapping images

Question

• I have to create a report with the following requirement:

1: The first page has some hi-res images of 8 different geometric shapes with text in it. The location of the images on the page will be static, however the fill color of image can be either green or grey.E.g. one box can be green for one user , for other it can be grey etc.

2: Export the report in excel,pdf and word

I am planning to use SSRS for this.

I am planning to create the report with superimposed images, e.g. green palette shape and grey palette shape superimposed on each other .Depending on the selection made by the user, I want to "Send to Back" or "Bring to Front." Can I change the "Send to Back" or "Bring to Front" properties at runtime depending on parameters passed to the report?

Also, I want the image path to be configurable, so that when business wants to change the text or color of the image, I do not need to redeploy the code. I can just change the image.

how can I create the RDL such that the images are at the proper positions? DO I need to insert a tablix for proper positioning of the image?

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi RachanaD,

As far as I know, overlapping of item does not work in the soft-break renderers like HTML, Word and Excel. However, it is work in hard-break renderers like PDF or TIFF.

In your case, we can insert text box in rectangle to work around the issue. We can insert an image in rectangle and another image insert in a text box. Then, put the text box in the rectangle.

In SSRS, we cannot use parameter to control the location of image. However, we can use go to report action to work around the issue. Please refer to the steps below:

1. Create two similar report, the difference between two reports is the location of these image.
    2. In the first report, add a text box fill with “Send to Back”.
    3. Add action “go to report” of the text box go to the second report.
    4. In the second report, add a text box fill with “Bring to Front”.
    5. Add action “go to report” of the text box go to the first report.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Alisa Tang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi RachanaD,

As far as I know, overlapping of item does not work in the soft-break renderers like HTML, Word and Excel. However, it is work in hard-break renderers like PDF or TIFF.

In your case, we can insert text box in rectangle to work around the issue. We can insert an image in rectangle and another image insert in a text box. Then, put the text box in the rectangle.

In SSRS, we cannot use parameter to control the location of image. However, we can use go to report action to work around the issue. Please refer to the steps below:

1. Create two similar report, the difference between two reports is the location of these image.
    2. In the first report, add a text box fill with “Send to Back”.
    3. Add action “go to report” of the text box go to the second report.
    4. In the second report, add a text box fill with “Bring to Front”.
    5. Add action “go to report” of the text box go to the first report.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Alisa Tang

Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:38 AM
  • Thank you Alissa. The approach described above will not work for me, because I do not have just 2 images. one page can have as many as 16. So that will result in many combinations.

Is there a way by which I can insert an image at runtime at a specific location or co-ordinate?

Also, instead of images, if I want to use drawing objects to create a template rdl and control the color and text in the 16 shapes, is that possible using ssrs?

Monday, March 03, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Hi RachanaD,

Thank you for your reply. As far as I know, it is not support in SSRS.

Since the issue is by default, I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/. If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add the feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Alisa Tang

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:12 AM