none
CRM 2011 - Tracking

Question

• Our incoming email are not resolving to the contact records as they should or when clicking the Track in CRM button. Email is showing in red with an underline which means it is not attaching to the contact record.

The cause for this problem happened with the update from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011, when the email fields were changed from a text field type to a new email field type.

What is the workflow to resolve this?

Is there is a way to correct all occurrences for an email address at one time, rather than opening email one at a time via the unresolved email activities view?

Chris Clayton
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:14 PM

All replies

• Do you have any customizations that were done in V 4 relative to the E-mail Field.  On migrated contacts does the e-mail show up with the Blue Undeline?    Ie.   Did the upgrade convert data properly.

Once the e-mail is linked do additional e-mails show up properly?

Thanks

Pierre

Friday, August 26, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I dont' understand this comment, "The cause for this problem happened with the update from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011, when the email fields were changed from a text field type to a new email field type."

I don't think the field type changed from 4 to 2011 but I might have missed it.  Generally speaking, when you see the e-mail address in red it means that CRM can either not find the e-mail address in the CRM system or found multiple matches.  I'm not aware of any method for taking 'bulk action' on the e-mail addresses to resolve them.

Regards, Donna

Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Hello, I can say we have the same issue (after upgrade from 4.0) (now with RU5). Have you found any solution to solve it?
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Did you check the user settings? CRM 2011 doesn't use the e-mail router to track mails.

Check the following setting in CRM 2011: Settings - system - administration - system settings - Users

Select the user that has the problem and check if the setting "E-mail Access Configuration" is set to "Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook" for both cases.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:21 PM
  • This is not always true, "CRM 2011 doesn't use the e-mail router to track mails"  CRM 2011 can be configured to use the e-mail router or use Microsoft Outlook without the e-mail router.

I am still not understanding this statement;

"The cause for this problem happened with the update from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011, when the email fields were changed from a text field type to a new email field type"

E-mails will be tracked correctly if the Email recipient's email address on the Contact record matches the e-mail address used in Outlook.  For example, if I send an e-mail to Terrie King from Outlook with an e-mail address of terrie@company.com and CRM finds a Contact record in crm with the email address of terrie@company.com, the match will be made.  If CRM does not find that email address in the emailaddress1 field of the Contact record the match will not be made.

Also important to note; if CRM finds multiple matches (more than one record in CRM with the same email address), it will not be able to resolve the email address.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Donna,

I have the same problem as Chris.  We upgraded from 4.0 to 2011.  I can track emails all day long but the system never finds the Contact record despite the fact that the Contact record exists in my CRM system AND has the correct matching email address.  My system will find and match Leads, but not Contacts.

I have options set to track all Email message from CRM Leads, Contacts and Accounts.

Monday, January 23, 2012 8:31 PM
  • As the initial post indicates, the emailaddress1 field was changed from email to text for the entity.  As a result of this change, the EmailSearchBase table will not get populated based on the email address of the entity, because CRM is reading the data as a line of text as opposed to an email address.  This can be resolved by updating the Attribute table. 

In order to find the record to update you can run the following statement.  One of the results results returned will be listed as text instead of email in the AttributeLocicalTypeId field, and updating this to email will resolve the issue.  Note: Always use caution and make database backups prior to updating the database directly.

select a.attributelogicaltypeid,a.attributeid,a.name as AttributeName,b.name as EntityName

from

attribute a join entity b on a.entityid=b.entityid

where

a.name = 'emailaddress1'

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:28 PM
  • I aplogize in advance if I am missing something here, but I have not had this issue on the upgrades that I have completed.  The Contact tracking works as expected because CRM is able to find the email address in the expected field on the Contact entity.  Maybe you are not populating the emailaddress1 field as expected but that field must be populated with the matching email address in order for the Outlook sync to work as expected.

If you made an unsupported change to the database by changing the field characteristic of the emailaddress1 field as ehagen references in his response, then I recommend contacting Microsoft support so you can fix the issue based on their guidance.  This will ensure that you will not run into this issue on future upgrades or when applying Update Rollups.

Regards, Donna

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Nope.  Our system is amazingly "out of the box vanilla" which is why it has been a headscratcher for a while.  It will track emails all day long against leads but it can't find a contact email address at all. 

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Thanks!  I will run this and see what I can find out.  I was not aware that MS altered the format of a field between CRM 4.0 and 2011.  Why they would do that makes no sense...
    Monday, January 23, 2012 9:45 PM
  • I am not aware of Microsoft altering fields in the database in a way that prevents the Contact record from tracking.  Can you help me understand what you're looking at to determine if the e-mail is tracked to the Contact record.

Regards, Donna

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Sure!  One thing to note, we have Contacts are both a Contact and a Lead.  Often they are a contact because we have sold them 1 product, but they arrive in our system as a Lead because they are a prospect for another product we sell.  So before we moved to CRM 2011 from 4.0, when we viewed how emails were tracked, the email would it was tracked against potentially a lead AND a Contact (which for us isn't a problem) because CRM found the email address multiple times. 

Today my sales reps will open a Contact record, click the email address which for us launches the Outlook 2010 Email form.  The form is autopopulated with the email adress from the Contact record.  My sales rep clicks the Track button, populates the Subject and email content and hits send.

Whether we wait 10 minutes or 10 days, the email never appears in the Closed Activities.  If I go to the sales reps Queue, I can find the email he sent, complete with tracking number, etc.  And when I open the email, it shows it tracked to only the Lead (if there is one to be found).  If it can't find a Lead record, it says it cannot reconcile.  It never finds the Contact record.

Hope that made sense.

Melissa

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Thanks Melissa that helps.  I see a couple of items in your response that might pose a challenge.

If there are duplicate email addresses, CRM associates the email with the first one it finds.  That might be why you are seeing emails associated with a Lead but not a Contact.  Based on what I understand, CRM uses a table to make the match rather then searching through the Lead, Account, Contact and other email enabled entity types.  I believe one of the reasons for this was to enhance performance for the Outlook client.  This is different than 4.0 and might be why you are noticing a change in behavior for how emails are tracked.

With regard to the second scenario where you are opening the email from the user's queue, I can't speak to that unless I did a remote session with you and poked around in your system.  I'm not sure how you are using queues, what you mean by you looked in the user's queue, etc. 

Based on the information I have, my suggestion is to change business processes a little.  If you must to continue using Leads and Contacts with duplicated information, I suggest you train the sales staff to select the Set Regarding button rather than just the Tracking button and set the regarding of the email to the correct Lead or Contact record.  Don't let CRM decide for you.

Ideally, it would be great if you could use a status field on the Contact record or some other flag to let people know that the Contact is available for add-on Sales (different product) rather than entering the same Contact as a Lead.  For example, you could consider using a field like Relationship Type or something similar and flip the relationship type value to indicate if the Contact is being worked in a current Sales Campaign or if they are available for a new product sale.  I don't know your exact business process so this is an example only.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Donna

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:22 PM
  • So after hunting around I found a good solution to this problem. 

1. Create a solution that contains only the contact entity
    2. Extract the zip file and open the customizations.xml file
    3. In there find EmailAddress1 (or what ever field is marked as text instead of email)
    4. change the section that is "text" to say "email". 
    5. Zip it back up, import it, and publish the contact record. 

That will fix to get the email's to start tracking, but any contact that existed prior to the change will not be in the emailsearchbase table.  You will need to force an update on the contact records that you need tracked.  You can do this 1 of 3 ways:

1. Open each contact, change the email address to somethings else and save it, then change it back and save it again.
    2. Write some javascript to happen on page load that makes the emailaddress1 always dirty and then just open each contact and save it
    3. This is what i did.  Write a console application that will query the contacts (I did this in ADO.net so i could join on the EmailSearchBase table to only update contacts that the email is not in there yet) and update each contact obj by setting its emailaddress1 to its value again and calling update (do this but creating a new Entity or Contact id using predefined types and set only the Id and the emailaddress1 on the object and call an update, this will cause only that field to be updated and it will keep the performance up).
    Hope that helped!
    • Proposed as answer by Rich.Embrace Monday, December 03, 2012 12:16 PM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 12:16 PM
  • There is a KB for this so this method is supported :-)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2660401

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

1. Create a solution that contains only the contact entity
    2. Extract the zip file and open the customizations.xml file
    3. In there find EmailAddress1 (or what ever field is marked as text instead of email)
    4. change the section that is "text" to say "email". 
    5. Zip it back up, import it, and publish the contact record. 

That will fix to get the email's to start tracking, but any contact that existed prior to the change will not be in the emailsearchbase table.  You will need to force an update on the contact records that you need tracked.  You can do this 1 of 3 ways:

1. Open each contact, change the email address to somethings else and save it, then change it back and save it again.
    2. Write some javascript to happen on page load that makes the emailaddress1 always dirty and then just open each contact and save it
    3. This is what i did.  Write a console application that will query the contacts (I did this in ADO.net so i could join on the EmailSearchBase table to only update contacts that the email is not in there yet) and update each contact obj by setting its emailaddress1 to its value again and calling update (do this but creating a new Entity or Contact id using predefined types and set only the Id and the emailaddress1 on the object and call an update, this will cause only that field to be updated and it will keep the performance up).

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:27 AM