none
Universal USB-Key Boot

Question

• Hi,

I am creating a USB key that has WinXPe installed along with other OSes.  I have it working beautifully on a HP Proliant DL145 Server.   Can I boot with this USB key on other Proliant servers that have a different video and other devices?   I would like to boot WinXpe on several different platforms which all have different hardware devices.

Thanks in advance.

Julia

Monday, July 02, 2007 3:13 PM

All replies

•  

You need to be careful trying this. The HAL layer will be different from machine to machine. You may get away with re-using the image so long as the machines use the same HAL.

There have been attampts in the past to create a generic XPe image. If Standard PC HAL is being used then you might be able to get away with it, but ACPI functionality will be lost. You could include a bunch of different drivers for Etherent and Video in an image.

Note: Not every system supports booting XPe from USB flash key.

-Sean

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 6:51 AM
  • Julia,

Did you by any chance attend TechEd 2007 in Orlando?

They had a session on "CLI311 - Building the Perfect Master Image: A Universal Image Strategy" that went into detail on how to create a single image that would work for multiple machines - Even if they required different HAL's!.

There were some scriptable steps that changed the HAL once the image was laid down on the disk, but the presenter claimed that it worked on all of the PC's that he used it on - Of course the process was disavowed by Microsoft officially.

Here are the session details:

Session: CLI311
    Title: Building the Perfect Master Image: A Universal Image Strategy
    Speaker: Johan Arwidmark
    Description:
    This session provides you with tips and tricks on how to create the perfect master image for Windows XP and Windows Vista deployments using Microsoft Solution Accelerator for Business Desktop Deployment (BDD) 2007. It covers how to cut deployment costs by reducing the number images to a minimum. For Windows XP deployments, this session also covers advanced techniques such as HAL Replacement, Mass storage and other common device driver issues. You can expect lots of live demos in this session.

Monday, July 09, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Hi there,

Sorry that I don't have a direct answer to your question. I myself am in the process of perfectioning an USB key of 2 Gb with Sherpya's XPE operating system with varoius applications and drivers which I got booting from almost any recent machine. Except from the HP Proliant DL145 Server. I am very curious how you accomplished this and which files and drivers you had to include to get it working. It would be very helpful if you have a ready to use plugin for this type of server.

Any help is appreciated

Rien van Lieburg

ICT department

Wageningen University

The Netherlands

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:07 PM
  • HI,
     I am Hemant Zope, 
    I want to know that can i use my usb as a ram in my windows xp?
    can i boot my pc using usb?

Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:12 AM
  • Hi Hemant,

I'm not sure what your trying to do, but USB isn't really a good alternative to RAM as writing data tends to be too slow and each write will slowly wear out the drive (if solid-state).  It does work and perform quite well as a system boot drive since booting and running an OS performs mostly reads, something that USB drives are better at. 

For booting from USB drives, XP, Vista, nor Windows 7 have this ability.  It is however available option in Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (XPE). 

Brendan
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:34 PM
  • THIS IS A GOOD TOPIC :
    THE TRICK TO THIS IS THE WAY THE BIOS OR FLASH BIOS IS AMBIGUOUSLY FLAWED:FOR INSTANCE ON THE ENTEL
    BROOKDALE COMPACK V2000 {UL} I USE FOR THIS WITH EDDIE MAINTENANCE DISK [HIGHLY RECOMMENDED] LIKES TO BOOT OFF OF ANYTHING AT ALL,FROM DOS1 TO XP.AND RAM SIZE STOPS VISTA BASIC FROM DOING SO
    MY PENTIUM 3 WITH 1 EXTRA RAM SLOT WILL LOAD VISTA BASIC RIGHT UP AND SLOWLY RUN IT.(switchableMACHINEid)making it ambiguous. in fact the more generic CHICAGO FEDORA AC'97 IT CAN BE THE BETTER THIS WORKS.OF COURSE THE FLASH EPROM COULD JUST BE REBURNED TO FAVOR USB AS C:ONLY.
    OTHER RELATED DON'T TELL REVERSE COMPATABILITY TRICKS ARE UPGRADE STACKING ,BUT LEAVING OLD
    SYSTEM GHOST FILES.OF COURSE BURYING A 16BIT DOS BOOT PARTION THEN FIRE WALLING IT MIGHT BE BEST
    [LIKE7.1] xp is a very nice 9x and nt soup 3.1wg stirs in fairly well to$*$ but the whole 8bit 16bit 32bit 64bit progression is kind of obsoleting this shortly,as are WDbrand solid state drives.I LIKE THE WAY THISQUAD CORE VT
    RUNS SUNVM WITH XPPRO IN IT. SO I THIN THAT COULD BE THE HOPE THAT A SEALED MS SEVEN 3.5 SATA DRIVE
    COULD BE BOUGHT WITH CALLIN ACTIVATION AT DISCOUNT STORES. HOPEFULLY NOT EVERY THREE YEARS!

OTHERWISE POP THE HARD DRIVE OUT OF THAT OLD LAPTOP AND SEE IF IT WILL BOOT.

R.R.ARMSTRONG
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:33 AM