none
import/export backup/restore and sharepoint versions

Question

• I have a question about back up/retore tool and import/export tool.

I remember in our MOSS 2007, When I use these commands, to backup/restore site collections, or user import/export  a site across testing server and production server, the versions of sharepoint site have to be exactly the same.

Even the service pack and hot fix has to be on the same version.

But I read from microsoft documents about upgrading plan , it says below:

· Choose import/export when you are restructuring the organization of your content. You can restructure content in either the previous version or your SharePoint 2010 Products farm.
    · Choose site collection backup/restore to move individual site collections in either version.

So it means we can do these command even there are not in the same version.

Is this something new in Sharepoint 2010?

Thanks.

Friday, April 09, 2010 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Anna,

The import/export operations and site collection backup/restore operation do still need to be performed across the same versions of SharePoint. (So to directly answer your question, no, you can't take a site collection backup or export in SharePoint 2007 and then site collection restore or import the same content directly into SharePoint 2010.)

If I'm looking at the same document you were referencing, I believe those comments mean to say that the entire content moving and restructuring process (so, both the backup and the restore) can be done either before or after the upgrade.

Hope that helps!

• Marked as answer by SPFriend Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:19 PM
    Friday, April 09, 2010 10:25 PM