SDF File

Question

• Can anyone tell me what the SDF file is for?

Im using project structures like
    <projectroot>\<solutionname>.sln
    <projectroot>\source\project1\<projectname>.vcxproj
    <projectroot>\source\project2\<projectname>.vcxproj

in the <projectroot> folder, i have some .sdf file that is pretty big
    <projectroot>\<solutionname>.sdf

When i search internet about the SDF, i find that it's a database, like u have mdf ... but my project does not use a database.
    Its pure windows SDK api and DXSDK api, no mfc, no atl, no .NET ...

The main question is, when i add my project to SVN, do i need to include this SDF file? or will out auto generate when i check out on other pc?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Nightmare_BE,

The SDF file is your code browsing database which uses SQL Sever Compact Edition. You don't need to copy this SDF file while you move your project, and it will be automatically populated in the new location once you open your project.

You can take a look at Boris's blog for more detailes about this architecture change we made for Dev10.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2009/05/27/rebuilding-intellisense.aspx

Jianhua

• Marked as answer by Nightmare_BE Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:01 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Nightmare_BE,

The SDF file is your code browsing database which uses SQL Sever Compact Edition. You don't need to copy this SDF file while you move your project, and it will be automatically populated in the new location once you open your project.

You can take a look at Boris's blog for more detailes about this architecture change we made for Dev10.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2009/05/27/rebuilding-intellisense.aspx

Jianhua

• Marked as answer by Nightmare_BE Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:01 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:07 PM