none
Unable to deploy MSP file, stops SCCM Client agent

Question

• I have a Microsoft product I'm trying to deploy via SCCM, and having no end of problems with it.  It comes in an exe format, but the exe just checks for prerequisites, then installs the included msi.  There is a patch which has to be applied to the product, and that's part of the problem.   In a nutshell:

If I try to install the msi with "msiexec /i <msi_File> /qn PATCH=<MSP_File>" it fails with "unable to create a temp copy of <MSP_File>"  I have tried moving the msp file to the root package directory, but it made no difference.  I dont think it's a permissions issue since the package (including the msp file) downloads to the cache just fine

If I try to install without the patch with a plain "msiexec /i <msi_File> /qn" it fails with " The Product Key specified is invalid.  Please verify that the PIDKEY specified in your installation script is correct." But this is a simple msi from MS, and if I simply double-click on the msi, it installs fine.

If I try to install the patch by itself on a system where the software is already installed by running "msiexec /p <MSP_File" /qn", it fails with SMS agent host is not running, and if I check, sure enough the sms agent has stopped, just like when you try to deploy the SCCM R3 client msp file seperately. If I restart the agent, the client functions normally, but the install never succeeds.

More information is readily available for anyone willing to take a shot at this.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• *Update*

For those having a problem with this, the solution was to create a package with the root being the folder where the MSI was located, NOT the folder where the setup.exe is located.  You can patch the msi before installing it and then run the install using msiexec, this step saved us from the issue with running the msiexec patch command sepreately, which caused the SCCM client agent to stop.

Cheers.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:21 PM

All replies

• What product are you trying to install?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:12 PM
  • One thing to note is that the PATCH property must specify a fully-qualified path to the msp file, it cannot be relative.

What happens when you run msiexec /i <msifile>?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:34 PM
  • What product are you trying to install?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

POS for .net version 1.12 with the patch KB980087.msp.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:46 PM
  • One thing to note is that the PATCH property must specify a fully-qualified path to the msp file, it cannot be relative.

What happens when you run msiexec /i <msifile>?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

I havent tried the msiexec without the /qn options, but with those options, it fails with invalid product key.  For the path to the patch file, I used ~%Dp0 for the path, is that considered relative?

The package comes with a setup.exe, just now I tried it using the options recommended in the documentation, specifically setup.exe /ADDLOCAL /ALL /s, that failed with an exit code of 1603. 

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Following up on this:

If I install the msi with msiexec /i "<MSIFILE>" /qn /L*v c:\Log.log

In the logfile I get the entry "The Product Key specified is invalid" but above it I noticed this,

*** Entering ValidateProductId.

*** C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\XXXXXXXX\PidGenX.dll

*** Could not load PidGenX.dll

*** PIDKey is not valid.:        0

The interesting thing about this is that the file it's looking for is in a subdirectory of the package root, not the toor itself, so I'm not surprised it cant find it.  I tried copying the dll in question to the root but it fails with the same error.  Again, if I runt he setup manually, or even just double click the msi, it installs without issue.  Any thoughts?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:37 PM
  • *Update*

For those having a problem with this, the solution was to create a package with the root being the folder where the MSI was located, NOT the folder where the setup.exe is located.  You can patch the msi before installing it and then run the install using msiexec, this step saved us from the issue with running the msiexec patch command sepreately, which caused the SCCM client agent to stop.

Cheers.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:21 PM