none
"Additional Information Required" e-mail from Content Organizer

Question

• We are using the Content Organizer in a number of our sites. Now, a few users are getting a lot of these "Additional Information Required" e-mail messages, indicating that the recipient has uploaded a document to the Drop Off Library but not supplied sufficient information for the document to be routed.

Well, that's all good, although we have not deliberately defined such a scenario. However, the problem is that there are no documents in the Drop Off Library, at least not uploaded by the users receiving these e-mails. And there are quite a few e-mails sent from SharePoint. The e-mails are all identical to the message below:

Subject: "XXX - Additional Information Required"

"You recently submitted documents to XXX. Additional Information is required to complete the submission. Follow the link below to enter the required information.
    To see the list of documents that could be routed: http://something/archive/dropoff"

The problem being that there are no documents in the Drop Off Library, and there has not been for at least a week (in the particular library I've looked at given the majority of messages received by users).
    So I started looking around, and the only thing I have found was to Rule Managers section in the Content Organizer Settings. The "E-mail rule managers when content bas been left in the Drop Off Library" option was selected but no rule managers had been defined.

Is this what is causing the users to get these messages? That no rule managers were define despite the option being selected. Anyone with a similar experience?

Cheers!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:34 AM

Answers

• I believe there are two potential issues here. First, check to see if there are any files in the drop off library that are not checked in. To see these files, go to the "Document Library Settings" and select "Manage files which have no checked in version". The user and rule admin should be receiving email messages about these documents. 

The second thing that would cause this email is the timing of the "Content Organizer Processing" job. If a user is in the middle of uploading a document and has not set the required fields when the job fires, the job will think that the document is missing the required properties and send the email you described. Our job is set to run every few minutes so the users can find the documents in the final location quickly.  So, our users get these alerts often and have started ignoring them.

I'm not sure if there is an easy workaround for the second issue.  I cannot find a way to disable the emails because I believe it is part of the timer job that is not configurable. 

Sorry I don't have a real solution for you, but hopefully this explains what may be happening. 

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:21 PM

All replies

• I believe there are two potential issues here. First, check to see if there are any files in the drop off library that are not checked in. To see these files, go to the "Document Library Settings" and select "Manage files which have no checked in version". The user and rule admin should be receiving email messages about these documents. 

The second thing that would cause this email is the timing of the "Content Organizer Processing" job. If a user is in the middle of uploading a document and has not set the required fields when the job fires, the job will think that the document is missing the required properties and send the email you described. Our job is set to run every few minutes so the users can find the documents in the final location quickly.  So, our users get these alerts often and have started ignoring them.

I'm not sure if there is an easy workaround for the second issue.  I cannot find a way to disable the emails because I believe it is part of the timer job that is not configurable. 

Sorry I don't have a real solution for you, but hopefully this explains what may be happening. 

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:21 PM
  • I am getting the same error messages that you describe here.  I have yet to figure that part out but I do knoe how to disable the emails from being sent.

Go to the "Site Settings" and under "Site Administration", click on "Content Organizer Settings". The Rule Managers that are listed will receive emails according to the conditions stated by the two checkboxes. You can just uncheck one or both to stop receiving the emails depending on which conditions you don't want to be notified about.  If your users are just ignoring the emails, uncheck both.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:03 AM
  • I still haven't resolved this issue. Through the Content Organizer Settings I have unchecked the two options, but still it sends out e-mails to users who do not have any documents in the Drop Off Library. We have at least one user who never uploaded a document but receive these e-mails on a daily basis. Could it be a bug, realted to the "Content Organizer Processing" timer job?
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Go to the "Site Settings" and under "Site Administration", click on "Content Organizer Settings". The Rule Managers that are listed will receive emails according to the conditions stated by the two checkboxes. You can just uncheck one or both to stop receiving the emails depending on which conditions you don't want to be notified about.  If your users are just ignoring the emails, uncheck both.

No, this does not prevent users from receiving emails relating to items in the drop off which they have added...it seems there is NO option to disbale these emails. It's very poor design. I assume Microsoft's reasoning is that they set the default timer job schedule for content organizer processing to 1 day and 1 email a day won't hurt will it? We've taken the content organizer processing job down to 10 minutes to ensure that items that are added to the library not via SharePoint's native upload function are routed in a timely manner. Now the submitting user gets 6 emails an hour.

The content organizer settings needs a third email checkbox...send email to submitter, rather than just the options for rule managers.

• Edited by BarryC1976 Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:55 PM
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:54 PM