none
Fix for "The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance" Runtime Exceptions on EF Project Update to SP1

Question

• After updating a relatively complex test EF project to SP1, fixing the compile-time errors (a few changes to Northwind.edmx), changing the storage of the three schema files to a resource, and fixing the ConnectionString accordingly, I receive a "The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance. Could not determine storage version; a valid storage connection or a version hint is required."

The runtime exception occurs on the "return" line of NorthwindEntities which is calling the first sproc:

public global:Tongue Tiedystem.Data.Objects.ObjectResult<Product> GetAllProducts()

{

return base.ExecuteFunction<Product>("GetAllProducts");

}

Is there a known workaround for this problem? The solution proposed in The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance thread doesn't work in this case. I'd prefer not to recreate the project.

--rj

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:43 PM

Answers

• Duh... Never mind

All it took was replacing ProviderManifestToken="09.00.3054" with  ProviderManifestToken="2005"

I had previously added the required Provider="System.Data.SqlClient" attribute.

--rj
    Monday, July 14, 2008 7:59 PM