none
Excel error: "Too many different cell formats"

Question

•  

Big problem with this error message. I am aware of the MS support page here... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213904 but this isn't correcting our problem.

Here's the problem.

I have a user who has been routinely creating Excel 2007 documents and then saving them as .xls files to share with Excel 2000 users. In the past this has not been a problem. Other users who are using Excel 2000 were able to open them with no errors.

The latest file that was created and saved as a .xls gives the error "Too many different cell formats" when attempting to open it with Excel 2000.

We have tried completely removing ALL formatting using Excel 2007 then resaving as .xls but we still get the same error when trying to open with Excel 2000. This is a very important file that my user needs to share with other Excel 2000 users.

Any help on what's going on would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

This forum is basically targeting to how to quetions on Office 2007 from developer community. For your kind of situation where a proper troubleshooting is required you can use this newsgroup.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

This forum is basically targeting to how to quetions on Office 2007 from developer community. For your kind of situation where a proper troubleshooting is required you can use this newsgroup.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:00 PM
  •  

"For your kind of situation where a proper troubleshooting is required you can use this newsgroup."

That reply is nonsense and the link provided is a dead link.

We can't even copy 6 cells from an older spreadsheet and paste it in a new one. There has to be an answer to this and directing users somewhere else so you can avoid it is disgraceful. It's a cop out not a solution.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Same problem..  even after selecting all cells and doing Edit/Clear/Formats...

Has anyone find something ???

thx

Monday, December 01, 2008 8:09 PM
  • We have exactly the same issue.

Office 2007 has to be one of the worst products Microsoft has released since ME.

IT makes Vista look like the golden child.

Fixing the formating is not the issue.  As has been said can be done with just a few cells are copied.

Really causing us issues.  Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreicated.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:47 AM
  • This is a dead link, this issue is far from solved or resolved.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Lots of people seem to run into this problem. In Office 2007 the issue is related to the exessive number of unused often corrupted styles and not so much cell unique cell format combos like it was in Office 2003.  In Excel 2007 the number of custom styles starts growing when users copy/paste accross multiple Excel instances (i.e., not from workbook 1 into workbook 2 that are open inside the same single Excel instance; this won't cause this problem).  I wrote a utility to fix XL2007 OOXML files that can be saved down to XL2003. Here is the link to the blog post:
    http://sergeig888.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/sharing-useful-utilities/

Requres .Net3.5 and MS Excel 2007. Will fix xlsx or xlsm files.

No need to run the risk of further corrupting your files by using Open Office like it is suggested on some other forums.

• Proposed as answer by dmontreuil Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:10 PM
    • Edited by XLGeek Friday, February 25, 2011 9:44 PM Blog URL has changed
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Brilliant.  Would be so, so, so fabulous if it worked on Excel 2003 files as well.  (2007 seems to corrupt files in compatability mode and most of our company does not have Excel 2007 -- but some of use have both and ocne a file gets opened in 2007, seems to start crippling the 2003 users with "Too Many Formats" errors.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:10 PM
  • The FIX tool mentioned above, has solved my problems.  I just use excel for my database for over 30,00 potential customers.  I only use it as a mailing list.  When I started getting that stupid unfixable error, I almost went mad.  It was hapening on my old tower, that uses XP & on my laptop (vista).  I could not find my spread sheets via the FIX tool mentioned above, so I opened them & resaved them with a different name, but as a macro enabled spread sheet.  Now the files can be saved in two seconds.  Before it was almost two minutes for each save.  What a great solution.  We will keep you another day, hahahaha.

JT Sauve in the great white north, Toronto  June 27 2010

Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:33 PM