Spec Explorer success stories?

Question

• As an “bleading-edge” software testing consultancy company, we are big fans of MBT, but we find it to be quite a difficult task to sell the idea to most software companies. We do have a couple of success stories to tell potential clients, based on using UML-based MBT tools. But with Spec Explorer, we can only refer to the protocol documentation testing at Microsoft. This is nice, but not sufficient. 

Anyone interested in sharing their success stories of using Spec Explorer on real projects? 

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Erik,

We usually talk about the protocol testing effort due to the impressive size of the project and the fact that it provided sufficient data to compare the efficiency of MBT when compared with more traditional testing techniques. Also baed on the fact that it was (and still is) carried out under close regulatory scrutiny. This makes it relevant to companies in different sectors that need to comply with government regulations and strict audits, a frequent reason to apply more rigorous testing approaches.

However, Spec Explorer is used at Microsoft to test many products and components, far beyond the protocol domain. There are many examples across our business divisions such as Office, Windows Client, Server and Mobility Communications. The fact that the largest software manufacturer uses Spec Explorer to test such diverse types of systems should be a good selling argument for the tool and the approach.

We are also aware of several other companies using Spec Explorer, but I'm not at liberty to discuss them as case studies. One that I know I can share, as there is public information about it is engine control units at Opel-GM. It was presented at a Dagstuhl seminar on MBT. The slides for the specific talk are here.

Of course, we will also be interested in hearing from other people who can share their experiences.

Best,

Nico

Saturday, March 26, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

We usually talk about the protocol testing effort due to the impressive size of the project and the fact that it provided sufficient data to compare the efficiency of MBT when compared with more traditional testing techniques. Also baed on the fact that it was (and still is) carried out under close regulatory scrutiny. This makes it relevant to companies in different sectors that need to comply with government regulations and strict audits, a frequent reason to apply more rigorous testing approaches.

However, Spec Explorer is used at Microsoft to test many products and components, far beyond the protocol domain. There are many examples across our business divisions such as Office, Windows Client, Server and Mobility Communications. The fact that the largest software manufacturer uses Spec Explorer to test such diverse types of systems should be a good selling argument for the tool and the approach.

We are also aware of several other companies using Spec Explorer, but I'm not at liberty to discuss them as case studies. One that I know I can share, as there is public information about it is engine control units at Opel-GM. It was presented at a Dagstuhl seminar on MBT. The slides for the specific talk are here.

Of course, we will also be interested in hearing from other people who can share their experiences.

Best,

Nico

Saturday, March 26, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Hi Nico, 

thanks a lot for the info.

I will be sure to inform you about more success stories as we collect them ;-)

cheers,

Erik

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:22 PM