How to check if email address exists?

Question

• Hello! I am making a program where i need to check if email adsress exists. I use smtp(i have to use smtp...).

So, someone types in textBox1 :

bloblo@gmail.com

And when i click the button "check" or whatever it is, it says if it exists or not.

How would i do it without sending the message?

• Edited by Neket110 Friday, May 04, 2012 5:37 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 5:20 PM

Answers

• The short answer, you don't.

The long answer is you can sometimes know if it's not valid using some of the methods discussed here, but even if everything that you do says that it's not invalid, it doesn't actually mean that it does exist or that some mailbox somewhere actually would get an email if you sent one.

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:36 PM

All replies

• The short answer, you don't.

The long answer is you can sometimes know if it's not valid using some of the methods discussed here, but even if everything that you do says that it's not invalid, it doesn't actually mean that it does exist or that some mailbox somewhere actually would get an email if you sent one.

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hi

One thing is you can just cross check the mail IDs with the existing mail IDs in your data base. Otherwise there will be no option to check wether the given Email ID exists or not. we can just check wether it is a valid Email or not.

Saturday, May 05, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Yup, what those guys said.  I think the best that you can do without sending an actual email is to validate whether or not the email text is a valid format. 

The only sure way to ascertain whether or not it is valid is to actually send an email with a return email link back to you.  Sort of like when you get a confirmation email when you sign up with a new web site as a registered user.  Know what I mean?

Rudy   =8^D

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."

http://thesharpercoder.blogspot.com/

Saturday, May 05, 2012 4:13 PM