none
How to open Links in a new window - SharePoint 2010

Question

• Hi,

I have created links list and document library in a Publishing site and uploaded video files to document library,and added list and library as webparts on default.aspx page.

Contributors add links and videos to links list and document library respectively.

How to open the video files in a new window when visitors login and click on name of a video files(not links list items)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

AEDLA.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:59 AM

Answers

• Hi aedla,

This makes sense.  You would need to edit the page through the browser.  Go to the page, put it in edit mode, and then add a web part that you can customize the output.  I like the Content Query Web Part.  Using this web part, you can then connect to the linked list and (using SharePoint Designer) create custom XSL where you can tell it to open up the links in a new winder.

Heather Soloman's blog has some great resources on doing this in MOSS (it really hasn't changed in 2010).

HTH,

Robert Nellis
    Senior Lead Consultant
    Catapult Systems
    SharePoint Blog
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Monday, February 14, 2011 7:30 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• You have created a document library for uploading videos and Links list for adding Video links as items?

What type of webpart you are using, Custom or XSLTListView webpart or DataForm webpart.

You can customize the item to display in new window using SharePoint Designer for XSLTListView & DataForm webpart.

Regards,
    Shantha Kumar .T | MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 | MCITP - SharePoint Administrator 2010 |
    (B) Shantha Kumar's Blog | (T)Follow me | (C) IOTAP
    Monday, January 31, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion.

But I could be able to edit only page lay out and not page.When i try to edit using SharePoint designer I am getting pop up message that "This page can not edited in sharepoint designer.The content can edit in browser,or edit the corresponding page lay out "

AEDLA.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hi aedla,

This makes sense.  You would need to edit the page through the browser.  Go to the page, put it in edit mode, and then add a web part that you can customize the output.  I like the Content Query Web Part.  Using this web part, you can then connect to the linked list and (using SharePoint Designer) create custom XSL where you can tell it to open up the links in a new winder.

Heather Soloman's blog has some great resources on doing this in MOSS (it really hasn't changed in 2010).

HTH,

Robert Nellis
    Senior Lead Consultant
    Catapult Systems
    SharePoint Blog
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Monday, February 14, 2011 7:30 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:29 PM
  • To edit the page, you have to detach the page from pagelayout.

After customization, save it and then you can attach the PageLayout to the page.

Regards,
    Shantha Kumar .T | MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 | MCITP - SharePoint Administrator 2010 |
    (B) Shantha Kumar's Blog | (T)Follow me | (C) IOTAP
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:37 PM