Using Access Tables with VB 2010

Question

• Would someone please be kind enough to give me the exact code I would need, using Visual Basic 2010, to   1.  link to a table in an Access 2010 database

2.  extract a field from a specific record in the table, using a key

3.  link to a second table in the same database

4.  add a record to the second table, containing the data from the first table.

I have tried SQL, LINQ and OleDb and I don’t seem to be able to make this work.

To make things clearer:  The database is called DCdatabase.accdb

Table 1 is DCPrime

Table 2 is Xref

The search key is held in a string variable called f_AccessKey

The matching field in DCPrime is AccessCode

The field to be extracted and updated into Xref is SysKey

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Daley
    Monday, December 27, 2010 9:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi DonnyJay,

Thanks for your post!

Please kindly read the following links regarding how to Select/Insert/Update/Filter records.

How do I search and filter records in the database

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/9b2ad06e-de12-4c52-9c29-7507a824153e

How do I make a basic Data Access application
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/c27538e2-44d7-4cb9-9141-ed7ee733bf80

Save/load a data
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/vblanguage/thread/7ba999a4-9800-402b-b6e0-58455778f85a

Loop through datagridview by bands and insert records to database
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/2e1fbb63-37f5-4e1f-9411-93f1917b23b3

Hope this information is helpful.

Best Regards,

Kee Poppy [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by DonnyJay Friday, January 07, 2011 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Too many questions in one post. Narrow it down to a single topic and more people are likely to respond.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:35 PM
  • You can accomplish this with a simple T-SQL statement...

UPDATE d
    SET d.SysKey = x.SysKey
    FROM DCPrime d
    JOIN Xref x
    ON d.AccessKey = x.AccessKey
    WHERE d.MyField = 'Something'

Adam

Ctrl+Z
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Hi John,

Have you solved this issue?

In my first post, I shared some resources that can help you to create an Access Database Application with the features of Insert/Select/Filter/Update.

However, I am not sure if it can help you to understand the logic of using SQL, LINQ and OleDb together. If you could not work it out, do you mind sharing the project you have done so far so that we can get the issues you have and help you to debug?

Best Regards,

Kee Poppy [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Hi, Kee

My apologies, but I have only now been able to check replies to my post.

I will go to the links that you suggested in your first post, after which, judging by the struggle I have had up to now, I would like to take up your offer of taking a look at my project.

I don't seem to see a way to upload code.  Perhaps you would advise me on this?

Regadrs.

John Daley
    Friday, January 07, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Hi John,

Sorry for my late replying!

You can upload your project to the SkyDrive

Best Regards,

Kee Poppy [MSFT]

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Hi, Kee:

I uploaded the project on SkyDrive.  I hope you can find it because I had no idea what I was doing!  I set up a folder called VB Uploads which I shared with everybody.  Please let me know if there is anything else I should do.

I have checked "Alert me when someone responds to this post"  but I never receive an email when someone does so I will check back here regularly.

Thanks.

John Daley
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Hi John,

Could you please tell the URL of your project folder on SkyDrive? Also, It would be better if you open up a new thread, because the age of this thread is very long and its status is closed. So, please open up a new thread and paste the project URL inside, thus, more members will involve in to efficiently help solving the problems.

For the Alert issue, what email are you using for it? You better use Hotmail since the activation email may be filtered by other email system.

Thanks,

Kee Poppy [MSFT]

Monday, January 17, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Kee:

In case you do check back here, I have started a new thread, as requuested, "Access Tables in VB 2010" in which I included the URL to the project files.

John Daley
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:42 PM