Stupid Microsoft Access 2007 Question

Question

• I just purchased Microsoft Access 2007, and it says that it uses its own JET Database Engine on the client machine, which isn't part of Windows.  So, I would need to install the Access 2007 JET Database Engine on each machine as well to run my application?  Where do I find this?  I can't find anywhere to get it from (I searched both Access Help and the Microsoft site).  Would this be free and would I be allowed to have this install along with my application?  Also, does anyone know what the System Requirements are for the Access 2007 JET Database Engine?  I want to make sure that my application can run on as many versions of Windows as possible.

I would greatly appreciate the help, as I don't know what type of database to use now.

Thank you very much.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:31 PM

Answers

• Sorry that you were not able to get Sql working correctly for you.  I agree that it is quite confusing because of the 'flexibility' and 'productivity' features.  There are at least 3 different ways of accessing Sql data:

1. Data binding controls--looks easy enough to hook fields directly to the controls on your form.  But for me, anything more complex than displaying data through the DataGridView is problematic.

2. Datasets--accessing data through methods operating on datasets gives more flexibility but there is the complexity of configuring the dataset and developing the stored queries etc.

3. Direct access through the SqlCommand object is about as easy as reading/writing a file.

The next generation tools (Orcas) supports a technology called Linq which will make database access somewhat easier.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:03 PM

All replies

• You should see if Sql Express will work for you.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Thank you very much for your response, I have spent a considerable amount of time working to try to get this working using SQL Server (I have Visual Studio Pro), but have not been able to get it working whatsoever (It's been quite the headache).  As an alternative I was suggested Access and went and purchased it.  I am a bit confused now though about this, as I am unsure of how the Access 2007 JET Database works and can't find much information on this on the Microsoft site.

Thank you very much.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:39 PM
  • Sorry that you were not able to get Sql working correctly for you.  I agree that it is quite confusing because of the 'flexibility' and 'productivity' features.  There are at least 3 different ways of accessing Sql data:

1. Data binding controls--looks easy enough to hook fields directly to the controls on your form.  But for me, anything more complex than displaying data through the DataGridView is problematic.

2. Datasets--accessing data through methods operating on datasets gives more flexibility but there is the complexity of configuring the dataset and developing the stored queries etc.

3. Direct access through the SqlCommand object is about as easy as reading/writing a file.

The next generation tools (Orcas) supports a technology called Linq which will make database access somewhat easier.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:03 PM
  • That sounds great, but I couldn't even achieve reliable access to my SQL Database...  It was / is ridiculous.  I spent weeks trying workarounds and suggestions from the friendly folks on these forums, but no matter what I did I could not access the database or its information reliably.  As a result it was suggested to me to try to use Access (Which appears to not be a problem thus far), but I do not know what type of Access Database to use.  If the Access 2007 JET Runtime isn't available freely (Or isn't able to be installed along with my application) this may not be an option.  I would like to take advantage of the improvements in the Access 2007 Database, but from what I've read (And I still haven't found the information I am looking for) there have been all sorts of problems and delays with this.  Additionally, if the Access 2007 JET Runtime only supports a select few versions of Windows (I have not found this information either), I may need to use an older version of Access Database, as I need to provide support for these other operating systems.

Thank you very much,
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:45 AM