Sending mails on a localhost IIS SMTP Server

Question

• Hi,

I  wrote a code to send mail and I want to test on my IIS server. I tried to set up my IIS SMTP server then I used Outlook to check my email but I had an exception

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'localhost', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

is there any tutorial for setting up IIS and Outlook to send and receive mails on the localhost server ? I saw in many WebCasts doing it but they didnt show how to set up the servers.

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, July 07, 2006 2:54 PM

All replies

• Need to install it via window's components.

Add/Remove Progams -> Windows Components -> IIS (Details)-> SMTP service

needs to be checked, so it can be installed/on. You may need the install disk.
    Friday, July 07, 2006 3:02 PM
  • You are using the IIS SMTP server for sending... what server are you using for receiving? Is Outlook properly configured to receive from it?

Friday, July 07, 2006 3:02 PM
  • Where is the mail being sent to?  I understand IIS is your SMTP server, but what server actually holds the mail received for the destination account (this is the server you need to point your Outlook at)?
    Friday, July 07, 2006 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for the answers .

In fact in my code, I set the SMTPHost = "localhost" , To = "user@test.com" , From = "admin@test.com"

In IIS : right click on default smtp virtual server
    then Acess => Authentification :  I checked Anonymous Access, basic authentification and Itegrated windows authentification.
    then Acess => Relay: and I checked Allow all computers which succefully authentificate to rely, regardless of the list above (and the list is empty)
    then delivery =>Advanced => maximum hop count=15, masquerade domain = "test", fully qualified domaine name ="test.com"
    then delivery =>outbound security , and checked anonymous access

in Outlook I craeted a new account with those preferences

E-mail : user@test.com
    Incoming mail (Pop3) : localhost
    Outgoing mail(SMTP) : localhost
    Account name : test
    Password : Empty ( I didnt know how can I set up my password :s)

that's all , did I miss something ?
    Friday, July 07, 2006 4:05 PM
  • From the sounds of it you do not have a POP3 server running locally, otherwise you’d know what the password for the account was.

Remember that SMTP is used to get mail to its destination server and POP3 is one of those methods that can receive it and store it until you check for it later with something like Outlook... in order to have the mail sent via your IIS SMTP server reach you, you’ll want to direct it to working server... the kicker though is that setting up such a thing is a lil tricky and often requires some time being spent configuring DNS records.

Instead, I’d suggest sending mail to another address that you have control of through your IIS SMTP server (such as that provided by your ISP).

Friday, July 07, 2006 4:33 PM
  • That's right, I dont have a pop3 server, but I want to do things by myself .
    Which pop3 server do uyou suggest and is there anything else that I need to make my sample work ?
    Friday, July 07, 2006 4:59 PM
  • Unfortunately I cannot give much in the way of recommendations for a free pop3 server (aside from suggesting a Google search) as my experience is only with the much more expensive versions (like Exchange). If however you are running Windows 2003 you might try using the provided one.

That being said though... I can certainly relate to your desire to run all of the servers yourself at this point but I cannot stress enough how difficult that would likely be right out of the gate. Instead, try focusing on making sure your software works as expected with other mail servers and then move back to having your own mail server and after making sure that it works alone then try it with your software... I can assure you that such a route would save you a lot of time and energy in configuration and troubleshooting later.

Friday, July 07, 2006 5:33 PM
  • Thanks Brendan for your help , but you know I finally succeded to make everything work. I thought it will take more time.
    I just installed CMailServer .(demo version that supports 5 users).
    So now I can receive my mails via Outlook.

Thanks again for help
    Friday, July 07, 2006 5:49 PM