none
How to autostart a desktop application ?

Question

• I put my regular Win32 desktop application (non "modern app") into Start up folder. After Windows 8 has loaded the application starts but it does not visible because the Launch screen covers it.

How to suppress the Launch screen and go directly to desktop after loading ?

Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:09 PM

All replies

• You can make the application the shell to the system. Either change the registry keys, or use ICE and the Shell Launcher component to set you shell.

You will notice that every time you post a question, I keep coming back to ICE. ICE and SIM are subtle but powerful tools to help automate the build process.

http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWE8S.html

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Proposed as answer by CharanS Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:23 PM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Thank you, Sean, I appreciate your advices and proceed into ICE :) keeping a hope it can automate my target tasks such as installing additional fonts, disabling power save, copying DirectX components missed, deploying Flash ActiveX, activating builtin Administrator account, making exceptions in firewall and so on so on...

It is necessary to automate all the tasks because Windows Embedded 8 requires an activation of each image instance thus I can not prepare a single master image and then simply clone it to each device we produce.

In the past I used Windows XP Embedded and was guided your nice book "Windows XP Embedded Advanced". XP is much enough for our tasks. Nowadays I have to go to Windows 7 or 8 because the new hardware lacks for XP drivers and support. I consider using Linux in the future instead. My current application is based on MS DirectX technology and can not  be easily ported to Linux. I think the way out of the situation is using Java. Modern Java has needed features like double buffering. I dream if I re-write my application in Java I would acquire a total freedom.  

However in real world I go to ICE :)

Thank you.

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:28 AM
  • Beware that some functions aren't (easily) available if you don't use Explorer-Shell. e.g. Wallpaper, Printer-Spooler and so on. I know about problemes with DX while loading into Custom-Shell. It Needs some delay before loading the DX application while Windows is running/Logging-in.

Where are you located?

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (http://www.wesnext.com)

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:55 AM
  • You can still create a master image, but you have to sysprep the image to create the master. The sysprep unattended file can be used to automate tasks further on each cone. WES7 didn't require activation, but WE8S does. WES7 might be a better fit.

If you go to Linux, I am working on that too: http://www.seanliming.com/EmbeddedLinux.html

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Thank you, gentlemen, for your replys.

I tried "Custom shell" (cmd.exe) and the Start screen went forever far away. We develop Flight Information Display Systems on public displays installed in aiport terminals thus there is no necessity of Explorer shell, wallpapers, printers etc.

My DirectX application starts not immediately after logon, first it is loaded to a device from server and then starts. Perhaps it is make the necessary delay.

Unfortunately I don't quite understand IBW passes to use sysprep properly, my superficial knowledge is based solely on ICE's "F1" Help. Being in Russia it is unlikely to purchase your book soon.

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:08 PM
  • The online help should explain the passes.

Do you get access to Amazon Kindle store?

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:29 PM
  • I visited Amazon Kindle store. I didn't see what format the book is, could I read it on my PC without a Kindle reader device ?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Kindle reader is needed, but there is a Free Kindle Reader for the PC - http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:25 AM