How to start a service from server explorer in Visual Studio 2010

Question

• The MSDN documentation states that I should be able to start a service from Server Explorer in VS 2010 as documented below. However, the option doesn't seem to be there and i've read on another post that its not available in 2010. Am i doing something wrong or is the documentation incorrect.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/htkdfk18(VS.100).aspx

To manually start a service from Server Explorer

1. In Server Explorer, add the server you want if it is not already listed. For more information, see How to: Access and Initialize Server Explorer/Database Explorer.

NoteNote

The Servers node of Server Explorer is not available in the Standard Edition of Visual Studio.

2. Expand the Services node, and then locate the service you want to start.

3. Right-click the name of the service, and click Start.

Monday, April 05, 2010 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Mouies,

However, the option doesn't seem to be there and i've read on another post that its not available in 2010. Am i doing something wrong or is the documentation incorrect.

Some clarification with you:
    Which option do you mean that "the option doesn't seem to be there"?
    Which edition of Visual Studio 2010 are you running now?

I'm running Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate edition on my machine. I could launch Server Explorer via View menu >> Server Explorer.
    When I opened Server Explorer, clicked "Connect to Server" icon and added my computer as server. Then I expanded the node of my computer, I could find Service node under my computer.
    Please check the following screen shot:

From the document that you posted, I found:

Note:
    The Servers node of Server Explorer is not available in the Standard Edition of Visual Studio.

I also found:

Note:
    The Servers node and its children are not available in some editions of Visual Studio.
    (For more information, please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x603htbk%28VS.100%29.aspx)

Thus, for your concern, I would suspect that your issue could be caused by Visual Studio 2010 edition.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:16 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:15 AM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Mouies,

However, the option doesn't seem to be there and i've read on another post that its not available in 2010. Am i doing something wrong or is the documentation incorrect.

Some clarification with you:
    Which option do you mean that "the option doesn't seem to be there"?
    Which edition of Visual Studio 2010 are you running now?

I'm running Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate edition on my machine. I could launch Server Explorer via View menu >> Server Explorer.
    When I opened Server Explorer, clicked "Connect to Server" icon and added my computer as server. Then I expanded the node of my computer, I could find Service node under my computer.
    Please check the following screen shot:

From the document that you posted, I found:

Note:
    The Servers node of Server Explorer is not available in the Standard Edition of Visual Studio.

I also found:

Note:
    The Servers node and its children are not available in some editions of Visual Studio.
    (For more information, please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x603htbk%28VS.100%29.aspx)

Thus, for your concern, I would suspect that your issue could be caused by Visual Studio 2010 edition.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:16 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:15 AM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Hi Mouies,

Does the above suggestion work?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Hi Mouies,

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark my reply and let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

Forgive me for jumping into the discussion, but I think I know what mouies was after.
    I'm using the Ultimate edition of VS2010 and I can indeed start the Server Explorer. I can also open the Services node in the tree. But when I rightclick on a service I cannot start or stop any service. AFAIK thatwas possible in earlier versions of VS. Maybe this option has been deleted on purpose or maybe I did something wrong. Would be nice to know that, because know I constantly have to switch back and forth between VS and The Services MMC snapin to start/stop the service.

TIA for your time.

Vlatski

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Hi Vlatski,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please open a new thread in this forum so that we can focus on your concern?

I believe that our engineers and other community members are willing to help you on it if they have any suggestion.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Sorry its been so long. But YiChun's clarification is exactly what i'm looking for. I'm looking for an easy way to start a Windows Service from within Visual Studio 2010.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:22 PM
  • This is the right method only
    Please Mark the answers and give points it will help users Thanks & Regards, Kamal Agarwala 919916516212
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:38 AM