none
Outlook 2003 Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90

Question

•  

I have outlook 2003 and I use yahoo as my mail server.   I have been downloading my mail from yahoo to outlook for the past year and now all of a sudden I am getting this message when I hit send/recieve:

Task 'pop.att.yahoo.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: -ERR problem retrieving message

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:45 PM

All replies

• I have not been able to solve this problem! I bought a new laptop with MS Vista Home Premium.  I was able to send and receive e-mail via OL 2003 Professional for a month or so.  Then I started getting "error 0x800CCC90 problem retreiving messages." Neither ATT. YAHOO or MS tech supports have found the problem. Both seem content to pointing the finger at the other.

I have been on-line to this tech site and other sites looking for a solution but have not found a solution yet.

Here are the things I have tried that do not fix the problem.  Perhaps listing these will save you time and frustration. Good luck!

1. Turning off anti-virus e-mail scanning of outgoing nd incoming e-mail.

2. Uninstalling the anti-virus software.

3. Rinnung OL 2003 detect and repair mode

4. Changing my ISP logon password

5. Shutting down the modem and then restarting the modem.

6. Deleteing my e-mail account, rebooting the computer and dding a new e-mail account.

7. Spending 2 hours on the phone with an ATT.YAHOO tech rep who read from a troubleshooting script.

8. Spending an hour on the phone with a HIGHER LEVEL of service ATT.YAHOO tech rep. who read through his script, could not fix the problem and then offered to send me to a "for pay" service rep.

9. Two hours on the phone with a MS tech rep from the "Outlook Group" who could not fix the problem but read well from the MS script saying how MS is dedicated to furnishing "fast and accurate solutions" and he would call me back.  Did not hear from him for two days.

I am about ready to fix the problem on my own by dumping both ATT. YAHOO as my ISP and MS OL as my PIM.

Good Luck,

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I am getting the exact same error message (only at bellsouth.net).  Did you ever find a solution for this?   I have been working on it for several months & my webmail account is getting full.

Please Help!

Monday, March 03, 2008 11:22 AM
  • Getting the same messages on btinternet on all outgoing and incoming mails which are leaving and arriving fine. Really irritating, anyone have an answer yet?   Clearly a Microsoft Outlook problem, pull you finger out Bill and get this fixed!

Task 'mail.btinternet.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90)
    : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error.
    If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator
    or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcomm.dll'

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:31 PM
  • I have same problem; it started after responding to att yahoo e-mail telling me to change settings for a more secure e-mail.

Did you ever get this fixed?
    Monday, May 26, 2008 4:24 PM
  •  

Hi,

I just worked on the same issue for a client with Outlook 2003 on WinXP.  turns out there was a really huge attachment on one of his messages.  In his case I used webmail to delete some huge emails that were not needed. 

Another approach to the problem would be to increase the timeout on Outlook for the email account that is having the difficulty.  Look at the settings/more settings/advanced for the account within Outlook and increase the Server Timeout by moving the slider over to the right for a several minute timeout.  This would allow plenty of time to download large emails over slow connections, assuming that's actually the problem.

Hope this helps.

Rob Cohen

• Proposed as answer by KriGo Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hi,

I've got the same problem.  It's very odd, as i have a lot of different email accounts using my ISP, Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo and only one of the two Yahoo email accounts i have is returned this error.  It allows me to send emails, as my Outlook 2003 Pro 'Test Email' is returning all green ticks/success and when i log on using webmail i can see the test messages  But for some reason it's not downloading them.

Now the twists:

I have another yahoo email account that is working fine - therefore why is the second not???

I have a Windows XP SP3 machine running the exact same settings, email accounts, etc. and it downloads both Yahoo accounts fine.  The only unique factor in the whole situation is the new Dell XPS 1330 laptop running Vista Home 32-bit.  It's the same office/outlook version, settings, pop server, smtp server, password, everything.  I've deleted the account and redone it, i've re-started the machine, i've done everything i can think of and i'm still getting this message.

If anyone can help i'll be very grateful.

Full error message:

Task 'Yahoo Email Account' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to reveive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR problem retrieving message.'

Also, fyi, i tried calling my ISP (Virgin Media) in london and the tech guy didn't know anything about it and didn't really even begin to help because it wasn't the virgin media email account.

Thanks for taking the time to read my issue and providing any help.

Kind regards,

James

Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I believe the problem is that you are using multiple accounts in one Outlook Send/Receive Group.       And the mail servers interface with Outlook get "confused". 

The fix is easy.     

1. Click Tools, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.

2. Click New.

In the Send/Receive Group Name box, type the name that you want to give this group.
    3. In the left pane, under Accounts, click the account that you want to include in this group, and then click to select the Include account in this send/receive group check box.

4. Click to select the Send mail items check box and the Receive mail items check box.

5. Click Download complete item including attachments, and then click OK. 

6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for each account that you want to include in this Send/Receive group.

7. To create another Send/Receive group and add an account to that group, repeat steps 2 through 6.

8. When you have created all the Send/Receive groups that you want, click Close.

9. To send and receive e-mail for each group that you have created, click Tools, point to Send/Receive, and then click the name of the Send/Receive group that you want. 

Mark

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help.  i ended up fixed this yesterday by following some hints/advice i'd seen on other posts for similar issues.  It turned out i had a corrupt email in my junk mail folder on my yahoo account.  i had already moved all 1000 odd emails from my inbox into another folder using the yahoo-provided web interface but i'd forgotten about the 10 odd emails that were in my junk folder.  when i tried to move them all to normal mails (as they weren't actually junk) it errored on one of them, so i deleted that one.  From then on problem solved.  Quite odd and the error message outlook provides is unfortunatley not very clear, but i got there in the end.

Just on a separate note, in regard to your suggestion i had seen something similar and tried it out quickly and it didn't work.  the main thing that made me fight for a solution without the above was because i had already been successfully doing the exact same thing on another machine with all the same settings, apart from it being a xp sp3 machine and my new one being a vista sp1 32-bit version.  it didn't make sense that that would be the problem and as it turns out it was not.

Hopefully between us we will help someone else out there with the same problem.

All the best,

James

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:19 PM
  • I totally agree with you, JamesXPS1330 . I just receivied this error on one of several email accounts in Outlook 2003. I've seen something similar to this when I was using Outlook 2000. All I had to do was go to my web access to my email account delete the email that was stopping it and everything was ok again. I don't see why outlook cannot handle this better, but maybe it's combo of outlook and the mail server. Just a guess.

Tim

Sunday, October 26, 2008 10:48 PM
  • The web shows two solutions to this problem.

1. Some say it is a "grouping" problem and recommend if you have more than one email address to create separate groups when you send receive.

2. Others say it is a currupted email problem on the web server. 

I deleted all my emails off the offending email web server inlcuding junk mail, inbox mail, spam mail and deleted maill box - and the problem went away...

SWP

Monday, June 29, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Here is what worked for me after Verizon wasted my time checking Outlook settings that never had changed.  After that I noticed (via the web browser) that I had about 50 messages, but Outlook was only downloading about 15 before blowing up with the error.  So I deleted that last downloadable e-mail and the one before and after it.  After that the problem cleared up.

Your ISP will make you go to your e-mail via a browser and send yourself a message.  If it gets received by the server (as seen via browser), then they will say the server is fine and it is your outlook.  In my case it seems to be a corrupted e-mail.

Receiving ' reported error (0x800CCC90 ) : 'Your incoming (POP3 ) e -mail server has reported an internal error . If you continue to receive this message , contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:07 PM
  • This problem occurs if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) limits the number of POP3 connections that you can make at the same time. To work around this problem you can separate your POP3 accounts into smaller Send/Receive groups, and then connect with each Send/Receive group separately.

To get more instructions on this refer: http://www.omnitechsupport.com/forum/topic/1101/0x800ccc90-your-incoming-pop3-email-server-has-reported/

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:53 AM
  • The solution for me was not very technical.

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

The solution

Close Outlook, and then go online to your email account and delete the junk mail and any suspicious emails. Reopen Outlook and all was well.

Richard

• Proposed as answer by VinceS2 Monday, November 08, 2010 10:34 AM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:50 AM
  • What Richard says precisely! I am just reiterating this as I have exactly the same error as mentioned at the top of this thread, but this is a Win 7 Ultimate Outlook 2007 64 bit. Had this issue plus an intermittent failure to log in on POP that I am sure is related. Found two messages in the SPAM folder, one was spam and one wasn't. Tried to move the non-spam to inbox, said it did but it didn't. When I deleted both messages problem went away! I have turned spam guard off as I will deal with this within Outlook. What a ridiculous problem eh????
    Monday, November 08, 2010 10:34 AM
  • I manage a group of computers that utilize Network Solutions for our email and several of us forward our email to Outlook for obvious reasons. I too was getting the same error message as you and followed the advice of another user who stated that I needed to delete all email on the Network Solution side; the ones saved and the ones not yet opened. I started deleting them 8 at a time (8 to a page) and on the third page I found an email it wouldn't let me delete. Every time I tried to delete, I kept getting the error message as before. I had to finally move it to a trash folder and then delete it and after the third try it deleted.  It had an attachment that was obviously a corrupt file.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Another aspect of this problem relates to whether the Yahoo Website shows your mail as being READ or UNREAD.  Often the email that doesn't download is considered by Yahoo to have been READ and that seems also to mean DOWNLOADED - or at least OUTLOOK thinks it has been downloaded.

This is not the whole answer - but it's part of it. I stumbled upon it when at a public computer in an airport or somewhere without my email client I read some emails on the Yahoo MAIL website. When I returned to my PC and OUTLOOK it got quite confused about what was read (and thus not to be downloaded) and what was unread and to be downloaded.

I've not totally solved this problem - but the above is PART of the story. Mark the email that wont download as UNREAD. Doesn't always work - but doesn't always fail either

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:35 AM
  • In my case the situation was a little different. Several devices are used to log on to the same e-mail account. On all but one PC everything worked fine. After HOURS of research and troubleshooting, it was discovered that the root of the problem was the antivirus software. We are using GFI VIPRE AntiVirus/AntiSpyware. We shut it down temporarily and it worked fine. In VIPRE's Active Protection settings are checkboxes to tell the program that the machine uses Outlook or Outlook Express/Windows Mail. Normally when we install VIPRE we check those boxes. In this case they were not checked. Now everything was fine until about a week before this post. So if they were not checked at the get-go, why it worked it all, and if they were checked, how did they get unchecked, well...I'll leave that to anyone's guess. Anyway that's what we found. I hope that's helpful to someone.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:08 PM