none
Cannot connect using SQL Server Management Studio" -- login hangs

Question

• Suddenly I am unable to connect to my local database using SQL Server Management Studio. The login hangs and I cannot cancel the dialog. I have to resort to using task manager to kill the process.  I can still connect using visual studio, and my web site still runs and pulls data from the db, I just can't get into the management studio.

Two things I can think of that may have affected this:

1) I changed the machine name

2) I installed security update for visual studio 2005 SP1

I have already tried restarting the SQL Server services.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:45 PM

Answers

• Yes, in my case it was due user error.  I had somehow marked as hidden all my application data files, so management studio could no longer find its configuration files.  The application data files I am referring to are the data/configuration files created in one of the standard Windows directories by third party applications, like management studio.  So once I fixed that, management studio started to work again.

I would be surpised if anyone else made such a boneheaded error, but there it is for what it's worth.

However, one thing I discovered while working through that issue was that it is possible to get beyond the unresponsive connection dialog simply by clicking the X close button in the upper right corner to close the dialog. You have to do this before clicking any other buttons on the dialog or the dialog hangs. Then you can use the management studio menus normally.

Hope this helps
    Friday, September 28, 2007 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you find a solution to this?  I'm experiencing the same problem.  I've tried uninstalling all Sql Server software and re-install but problem persists.  I can loggin via sqlcmd and can see my connection established via Management Studio but the hung connection dialog box prevents me from using that client.

Thanks for any input.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Yes, in my case it was due user error.  I had somehow marked as hidden all my application data files, so management studio could no longer find its configuration files.  The application data files I am referring to are the data/configuration files created in one of the standard Windows directories by third party applications, like management studio.  So once I fixed that, management studio started to work again.

I would be surpised if anyone else made such a boneheaded error, but there it is for what it's worth.

However, one thing I discovered while working through that issue was that it is possible to get beyond the unresponsive connection dialog simply by clicking the X close button in the upper right corner to close the dialog. You have to do this before clicking any other buttons on the dialog or the dialog hangs. Then you can use the management studio menus normally.

Hope this helps
    Friday, September 28, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Ozzy, thank you for the reply.

I did not hide my application data files (that I know of) but I found a solution to the problem also.

I deleted this file:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\mru.dat

After uninstalling / installing / rebooting / Googling for 3 days, this did the trick!  A tip on a blog by Steve Harman directed me to this (how to clear most recently used server list) and it had the right effect: http://devcow.com/blogs/adnrg/archive/2006/09/08/Clear_SQL_Server_2005_Management_Studio_recent_servers_drop_down_list.aspx

Thanks!
    Friday, September 28, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Thanks SSOOOOOO!  much Rosso9 - that did the trick for me!  What a flipping nightmare.

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Thanks a million. That did the trick for me as well, where repeated uninstalling / cleaning registry / removing sql folders/ rebooting failed. I could login remotely to my local data base but could not login in locally. Like a bad karma the old list kept coming up. Thanks again.

Best,

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:48 PM
  • I had the same problem.  Please read the article here this might help you

Shailesh Patel Application Programmer/Analyst
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:35 PM
  • I actually did this bone head mistake myself! Appreciate the response here it made me realize my dumb mistake.
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:42 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  The sql server management studio is hanging when trying to connect.  In my case, a number of folders/files have been marked as hidden due to a virus attack.  Initially I thought the files have been deleted but then luckily I discovered they were hidden - like my_documents folder.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Windows 7 version  --

Went to

C:\Users\<user-dir>\AppData

and did a search for mru.dat -- it turned up (hidden) under Roaming in

C:\Users\<user-dir>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell

Unhid it there -- and that did the trick.

WFB
    Monday, October 24, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Thanks a lot!!

I had a really hard time because I couldn't find the solution for this.

Thank you again.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Thank you very much........

after 8 days i got this post and it worked for me......

Thanks

Anddy

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:08 PM