Windows Stuck at Boot (windows update stops at 75%)

Question

• I performed a windows update and also changed some windows components (uninstalled sidebar gadgets, uninstalled fax software, etc.). During the obligatory boot, Windows stopped at 75% without any error message. After an hour, I restarted the PC only to see that it is stuck at 75% again. I don't know if this bug will be fixed in the next version. I have uploaded the pending.xml from the winsxs folder for more details: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58053593/pending.xml
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:34 PM

Answers

• @Andre Thanks for your answer. This is strange that the logs say different. Before reading your answer I deleted the pending.xml and can boot into the windows developers preview.

However, the OS is behaving very strage (freezes, slow, unresponsive). I guess, this is due to my setup. This is what I did - with the note to not do it :)

- installed the windows developer preview into a vhd; boot from vhd -> worked great

- used the color calibration to adjust the screen gamma -> broke the XAML editor in VS Express. Anybody knows how to "reset" the color calibration?

- installed the latest intel drivers to get HW accel. -> UI much more responsive

- uninstalled VS express and installed the VS Dev Preview (ultimate) -> works great (XAML editor still broken)

- installed the synaptics touchpad drivers (this could be the reason)

- uninstalled some windows components (fax, sidebar gadgets, etc.)

- reboot

- hangs in windows update. Using the troubleshooting (in the boot options) the "refresh" option failed

I will now start from the beginning since I need a working dev environment :-/

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:13 AM
  • Hi Paul-X,

try booting in from your WDP install media. On the Install box that opens, choose trouble-shooting options given on the lower left of the box, instead of Install. Proceed on, trying the various methods of repair options given. Hope that helps.

Irfan
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:09 PM

All replies

• can you also upload the complete folder C:\Windows\logs\CBS and the file "C:\Windows\servicing\Sessions\Sessions.xml"?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:33 PM
  • I have uploaded the files: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58053593/files.zip (good thing I can mount a vhd in Win7)

Also,  I want to mention that I tried the "refresh your PC" option, which did nothing (some error).

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Hello Paul_X,

What version of the operating system are you attempting to install?
    It seems that you do not have enough disk space on your C: drive to install.

The minimum requirements for Windows Developer Preview are as follows:

System Requirements of Windows Developer Preview:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
    Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
    To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater

According to yout CBS log:
    2012-01-16 01:16:36, Info                  CBS    Free disk space check on C:. Available: 16004MB

which is 15.63 GB.

So if you are installing for the 32-it or 64-bit version, you do not have enough disk space which would be why your install is failing.

Let me know your status.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:47 PM
  • I can't see that it stops at 75%. In 2011 you installed updates and they work fine.

Mount the VHD under Windows 7 and open a CMD prompt with admin rights (right click on cmd.exe and select "Run as admin") and type this:

DISM /image:F:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

(replace F with the latter of the mounted VHD)

This reverts the pending operations. Unmount the VHD and save the changes and now try to boot Windows 8.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, January 20, 2012 11:58 AM
  • @Marilyn

I installed the developer preview including the dev tools (64-bit) back in 2011 and have been using it to develop apps. I have this issue while doing a windows update. This is _not_ related to free disk space (I sized the vhd to 40 GB) or other minimum requirements.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:00 AM
  • @Andre Thanks for your answer. This is strange that the logs say different. Before reading your answer I deleted the pending.xml and can boot into the windows developers preview.

However, the OS is behaving very strage (freezes, slow, unresponsive). I guess, this is due to my setup. This is what I did - with the note to not do it :)

- installed the windows developer preview into a vhd; boot from vhd -> worked great

- used the color calibration to adjust the screen gamma -> broke the XAML editor in VS Express. Anybody knows how to "reset" the color calibration?

- installed the latest intel drivers to get HW accel. -> UI much more responsive

- uninstalled VS express and installed the VS Dev Preview (ultimate) -> works great (XAML editor still broken)

- installed the synaptics touchpad drivers (this could be the reason)

- uninstalled some windows components (fax, sidebar gadgets, etc.)

- reboot

- hangs in windows update. Using the troubleshooting (in the boot options) the "refresh" option failed

I will now start from the beginning since I need a working dev environment :-/

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:13 AM
  • Hi Paul-X,

try booting in from your WDP install media. On the Install box that opens, choose trouble-shooting options given on the lower left of the box, instead of Install. Proceed on, trying the various methods of repair options given. Hope that helps.

Irfan
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:09 PM