Unknown error : TF213000 (System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException) while upgrading TFS2005

Question

• Hi there

I was trying to upgrade our TFS2005 instance. I performed all the checking and I passed the Best practices analyzer with success. But in the 50% of the install progress, I ended up with an unknown error 28002

Searching on web and msdn forums, I am not being able to find a solution or workaround. Everyone who has had this kind of error has issues with the active directory.

We had a TFS2005 instance running perfectly. I installed in this order VS2008, Team Explorer, Power tools , VS2008 SP1

Since I read that maybe a SP1 client with NO SP1 server installed may create problems, I uninstalled in this order VS2008 SP1, Power tools, Team Explorer, and VS2008

Now I am still getting that error.

I appreciate any help. Thank you very much

Tipo de suceso:    Error

Origen del suceso:              TFS Services

Categoría del suceso:          Ninguno

Id. suceso:             3000

Fecha:                    20/08/2008

Hora:                      15:51:47

Usuario:                 No disponible

Equipo:  ALADREN

Descripción:

TF53010: The following error has occurred in a Team Foundation component or extension:

Date (UTC): 20/08/2008 13:51:47

Machine: ALADREN

Application Domain: TfsGssInit.exe

Assembly: TfsGssInit, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a; v2.0.50727

Process Details:

Process Name: TfsGssInit

Process Id: 4308

Thread Id: 1132

Account name: INTEGRAGESTION\TFSSERVICE

Detailed Message: TF213000: A required user account could not be added during installation or repair of Team Foundation Server.  The installation or repair failed with the following exception message: System.TypeInitializationException: Se produjo una excepción en el inicializador de tipo de 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.IntegrationResourceComponent'. ---> System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: No se pueden cargar uno o varios tipos requeridos. Recupere la propiedad LoaderExceptions para obtener más información.

en System.Reflection.Module._GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

en System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.SqlResourceComponent.RegisterExceptions(Assembly assembly)

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.IntegrationResourceComponent.RegisterExceptions()

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.IntegrationResourceComponent..cctor()

--- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la excepción interna ---

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.GroupComponent..ctor(String connectionString)

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.TeamFoundationGssInit.Install(Options opts, List`1 args)

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.TeamFoundationGssInit.Main(String[] rawArgs)

> Inner Exception:

System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: No se pueden cargar uno o varios tipos requeridos. Recupere la propiedad LoaderExceptions para obtener más información.

en System.Reflection.Module._GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.SqlResourceComponent.RegisterExceptions(Assembly assembly)

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.IntegrationResourceComponent.RegisterExceptions()

Exception Message: Se produjo una excepción en el inicializador de tipo de 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.IntegrationResourceComponent'. (type TypeInitializationException)

Exception Stack Trace:    en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.GroupComponent..ctor(String connectionString)

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.TeamFoundationGssInit.Install(Options opts, List`1 args)

en Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.TeamFoundationGssInit.Main(String[] rawArgs)

Inner Exception Details:

Exception Message: No se pueden cargar uno o varios tipos requeridos. Recupere la propiedad LoaderExceptions para obtener más información. (type ReflectionTypeLoadException)

Exception Stack Trace:    en System.Reflection.Module._GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

Para obtener más información, vea el Centro de ayuda y soporte técnico en http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:43 AM

Answers

• This issue was solved in TFS 2008 SP1. If you encounter the same issue, please use a slipstream mode to install TFS. For detailed steps, please refer to "How to: Integrate the Installation of Team Foundation Server and Service Pack 1" in TFS installation guide.

• Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:01 AM
    • Edited by Bill.Wang Monday, February 16, 2009 9:32 AM Update the reply since TFS 2008 SP1 was released.
    Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

• I am unable to understand the language used in the log file. Hope someone will
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:04 AM
  •  

This is a very rare scenario. You are going to need a hot fix which is not public because of the low volume of this occurring. Please contact the Microsoft Support for KB 955501. One of the files needs to be replaced before installing TFS 2008.

Friday, August 22, 2008 11:44 AM
  •  

Thanks for your reply Bill,

Could you told us what files need to be replaced and why?

Maybe it is because of installing and unistalling things.

Thanks Again Smile

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:26 PM
  •  

Sorry I can't give you much detail. I found a similar request in our database. And this suggestion is the resolution for that request.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:54 AM
  • I'm experiencing a similar issue but am unable to determine how to acquire the above referenced hotfix (KB955501). Is there an email address or direct link you could provide please?

I'm unable to find a reference to KB955501. Related issue is here.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Hi Jeff

Because it's not a public KB, so it's not displayed in the search result. You can open http://support.microsoft.com/ph/10453 and click 'Contact a Support Professional by Email, Online, or Phone.' in the top right to contact Microsoft Support.

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:56 AM
  • Just got of the phone [25 Aug 2008 1:00pm Eastern] with Microsoft Support [(800)936-4900] and the rep on the line said he cannot find any reference to non-public KB article 955501. They were unable to send me the patch. Is there another way we should reference this problem with support?

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Hi Alan

If the error message you get in windows event log is the same as pgimenez meet, it's very likely that this hotfix is required. So, I'd like to suggest you opening a support incident. If it's verified by support engineers, you will receive this hotfix.

• Unmarked as answer by Bill.Wang Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:39 AM
  • Same experience this afternoon [1PM EST 8/26/2008]. It doesn't appear this hotfix is even privately available.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:25 AM
  •  

Apologies for the inconvenience. I can't provide much detail about this KB because it's not public. Have you opened a support incident to further troubleshooting this issue? The owner of this incident will ensure TFS can be installed when meeting this error message.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:18 AM
  • Unfortunately, the support systems were down when I called and they couldn't even open an incident. We ended up building an entirely new server. We did not encounter this issue on the new server.

Thanks for your assistance.

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:03 PM
  • This issue was solved in TFS 2008 SP1. If you encounter the same issue, please use a slipstream mode to install TFS. For detailed steps, please refer to "How to: Integrate the Installation of Team Foundation Server and Service Pack 1" in TFS installation guide.

• Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:01 AM
    • Edited by Bill.Wang Monday, February 16, 2009 9:32 AM Update the reply since TFS 2008 SP1 was released.
    Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:53 AM
  • I ran into this problem and hassled with it for a day or so and finally broke down and called Microsoft. Tech support called me back and he took a look at my install, the error and logs. Tried looking at a few DLLs and their versions, etc. Finally he suggested that I:

1. Cancel the install

2. Uninstall everything that is version 2008

3. Try to install again

I had Team Explorer 2008 and the 2008 Power Tools installed (to sum up, I had TFS installed once but the health check was failing, so I uninstalled and tried again - leaving team explorer 2008 on, thinking that would be harmless). Sure enough removing those items and trying again succeeded.

Note: I did not have SP1 of visual studio, team explorer, or TFS installed. This error happened with component versions found on the same disc.

The MS person recommended to proceed with the install in this order:

1. Install TFS 2008

2. Install Team Explorer 2008

(2a. I installed the powertools and ran a health check at this point)

3. Verify you can create a project successfully

4. Install TFS 2008 SP1

5. Install Visual Studio 2008 SP1

6. Verify you can create a project successfully

Everything seems to be running smoothly now.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:04 PM
  • This issue was solved in TFS 2008 SP1. If you encounter the same issue, please use a slipstream mode to install TFS. For detailed steps, please refer to "How to: Integrate the Installation of Team Foundation Server and Service Pack 1" in TFS installation guide .

Though this is an old post, I just want to thank Bill for the update :)

We recently removed TFS 2008 (with SP1) due to some issues. We had some difficulties in reinstalling it. Sharepoint was giving problem during validation, so we had to reinstall the same. But still we faced an "unknown error" towards the end of the installation(after TFS DBs are populated), though Sharepoint/SQL RS are working fine.
    Finally we integrated SP1 to TFS2008 setup and the installation completed successfully(it still gave me "database creation failed" error during the installation, but continued when I clicked the Retry button)

G K
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 6:57 AM