none
Why is the Site Content and Structure interface missing in some MOSS site-collections?

Question

•  

In my instance of MOSS the "Content and Structure" interface is available on some site collections and missing on others.

I went to this article to find out why but there was no answer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA101317231033.aspx

My experimentation shows that you must enable the 'Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure' feature to enable the 'Content and Structure' interface.

What's more?  I have found other odd dependencies on the publishing feature that do not seem to me to be necessarily related to "publishing".  My problem there is that I cannot find a list of what all is included in this feature.  Or what other features might include the same functionality that I want without the rest of the publishing stuff - whatever that is.

When I propose turning on the feature, savvy site-owners ask, "Well, what else does the feature do?  and how will this change my user experience?"  I cannot find an authoritative answer.

Another problem here is that the publishing feature, which seems to contain a good portion of functionality, is not activated in new site-collections by default.  I am working on a feature stapling solution that I will post on CodePlex when it's ready.  Stapling is the only method I know of to make sure publishing feature is active by default in new site-collections. 

We are hesitating to take this step because we don't fully understand everything the publishing feature includes.

I welcome discussion and input on this topic.

Ben Steinwand

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:19 PM

Answers

• hi even i had the same issue. After googling and going through different blogs i could arrive at a solution for my problem.

the procedure i followed is as follows:

1) first we need to activate Publishing Resources feature. one could do it manually using stsadm tool. Simply go to cmd prompt and type  

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN>stsadm -o activatefeature - name PublishingResources -url http://yourwebsite.

as an example

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN>
    stsadm -o activatefeature -name PublishingResources -url http://mywebsite:13541/sites/MyHomePage

after a while you will see

operation completed sucessfully.

2)Under Site actions>site settings> under site collection administration site collection features

click activate against Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure .

3)Under Site actions>site settings>under site administration Site Features
    click activate against Office Share Point Server publishing.

Now you can see Manage Content and Structure listed in Site Actions.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:02 PM

All replies

• I don't have an answer but am struggling with the same issue. I have a huge WSS2 site collection that needs be migrated to Moss/Wss3. Unfortunately, the Manage Content and Structure is NOT available for this site collection and the user really wants it. Other migrated Wss2 sites have it..

Someone smart please post up?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:00 PM
  • I personally don't think there is any farm in enabling the publishing feature.  All it does is expose more buttons in the UI. 

It will impact the user experience to the extent that more menu options will appear and more web parts might be available, but it shouldn't affect any existing work.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 1:50 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the publishing feature, since I've seen the option available on sites that the publishing feature is not active.  doesn't look like it has anything to do with rights either.  I've tried various combinations of user rights with no change in the results.  Seems very sporadic since I have the issue on some sites in the same application pool and not with others.  I'm stumped.
    Travis
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:54 PM

• > "Well, what else does the feature do?  and how will this change my user experience?"  I cannot find an authoritative answer.

Here's a list of "visible changes"...

Enabling "Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" will:

- add additional lists and libraries: Site Collection Documents, Site Collection Images, Style Library, Content and Structure Reports, Reusable Content, Workflow Tasks 

- Site Actions, Site Settings:
         Removes: Quick Launch, Top Link Bar
         Adds: Navigation, Searchable Columns, Content and Structure, Content and Structure Logs
    Variations, Variation lables, Variation logs, Translatable columns

- Site Actions, Create: Adds: Publishing Site, Publishing Site with Workflow

- Web Parts:
       Content Query Web Part
       Summary Link Web Part
       Table of Contents Web Part

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Well, with regards to displaying "Content and structure" page, you can always append "_layouts/SiteManager.aspx" to your url to see the structure of your site without activating the publishing feature. You can even add a custom link to your Site Actions menu to use the OOTB SiteManager.aspx via a feature.

Now, to activate or not to activate the "Publishing infrastructure" feature? I think that Mike Smith has given an exhaustive list of what this feature do when activated. In my own experience, it does not bother me to activate it but it is your decision.

here is link that may help you : http://mindsharpblogs.com/penny/archive/2007/09/28/2973.aspx

Hope this post was helpful.

Regards,

Djamel Chagour

My Blog - http://spbyexamples.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Awesome.  Can't believe I missed this.  Thank you very much.
    Travis
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:02 PM
  • hi even i had the same issue. After googling and going through different blogs i could arrive at a solution for my problem.

the procedure i followed is as follows:

1) first we need to activate Publishing Resources feature. one could do it manually using stsadm tool. Simply go to cmd prompt and type  

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN>stsadm -o activatefeature - name PublishingResources -url http://yourwebsite.

as an example

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN>
    stsadm -o activatefeature -name PublishingResources -url http://mywebsite:13541/sites/MyHomePage

after a while you will see

operation completed sucessfully.

2)Under Site actions>site settings> under site collection administration site collection features

click activate against Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure .

3)Under Site actions>site settings>under site administration Site Features
    click activate against Office Share Point Server publishing.

Now you can see Manage Content and Structure listed in Site Actions.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

We can't see the Site Content and Structure page.

I am testing SharePoint 2010, Foundation...is Site Content and Structure only available with Standard and Enterprise?

I have tried activating the Publishing feature, but am getting an access denied message even though I am an administrator on the server.

Any help is appreciated!

:-) joan

joan thomas
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:24 PM