none
Foxplus database program files

Question

• All:

I am an old foxplus dbase guy. I have many .prg files that I would like to upgrade to Foxpro for windows. Can someone offer me some direction on how to get started. I enjoy writing rountines and want to get back into programming again. -Thank you.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:56 PM

Answers

• Well, here is some advice from your twin. I'm doing this for the last year oor so.
    First, lets distinguish between Foxpro for Windows (FPW) and Vifual Foxpro (VFP).
    Foxpro for windows is an old and discontinued product. VFP is a new and already discontinued product (Well, not exactly - there are no plans to release version 10 but verion 9 is alive and well)

If you love writing routines, learing new stuff and breaking all the rules you've learned while programming in Foxplus/Foxase/Dbase, then take all your older programs, package them nicely, and throw them to the garbage, and start redeveloping in VFP.

On the other hand, most of the code you have in Foxbase, would run pretty good under VFP. As a matter of fact, Foxbase programs are WAY MORE compatible with VFP than FOXPRO programs. Foxpro screens are worthless under VFP, and Microsoft did the lousiest job possible in their so called 'converter'. Don't even think about converting a screen to VFP.
    Foxbase code, however would run pretty nicely under VFP. So, if your main concern is to get the app you have running soon under VFP, and time spent is an issue, you can certainly try and 'port' your prg files to VFP. You'll be missing alot though.
    Currently I have an application which was written in Foxbase, converted to a "Hybrid". Some of the code is rewritten in VFP, and most of the older prgs run with little change.

Good luck,
    Alen.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Tony,

If you like programming, then I suggest not to convert to foxpro for windows but VFP instead. Foxpro always had its backward compatibility (with some unavoidable changes) and therefore it'd need some work on it to go from Foxplus to FPW and then from FPW to VFP. I'd instead do FP to VFP skipping FPW, in other words. Thinking the limits of Foxplus it'd be a real pleasure at the end (but a pain at the start to understand all those changes from procedural to OOP).

There are some migration tools but all my projects ended up with a rewrite from scratch (and I think it'd be the best for you too).

Probably starting with a book would be right. Check hentzenwerke.com for VFP books.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:13 PM
  • I also recommend not to do it that way. Don't go to FoxPro for Windows (FPW). It is a very old and very obsolete, unsupported version.

GotoVisual FoxPro (VFP) 9.0 SP1 (the latest version) instead. OOP and very powerful.

As you see in this thread, the recommendation is not to convert. OK. The business login, some code and routines in XBASE will stil work. Ther interface must be totally redone. That said, I would strongly advice redoing the whole program, routines, functions/programs included using OOP and OOAD.  There are sites online and books with info on how to learn this.

One place to start is the best repository of Visual FoxPro information, the FoxPro Wiki: http://fox.wikis.com

If stuck with a particular problem, feel free to ask here.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:35 PM

All replies

• Well, here is some advice from your twin. I'm doing this for the last year oor so.
    First, lets distinguish between Foxpro for Windows (FPW) and Vifual Foxpro (VFP).
    Foxpro for windows is an old and discontinued product. VFP is a new and already discontinued product (Well, not exactly - there are no plans to release version 10 but verion 9 is alive and well)

If you love writing routines, learing new stuff and breaking all the rules you've learned while programming in Foxplus/Foxase/Dbase, then take all your older programs, package them nicely, and throw them to the garbage, and start redeveloping in VFP.

On the other hand, most of the code you have in Foxbase, would run pretty good under VFP. As a matter of fact, Foxbase programs are WAY MORE compatible with VFP than FOXPRO programs. Foxpro screens are worthless under VFP, and Microsoft did the lousiest job possible in their so called 'converter'. Don't even think about converting a screen to VFP.
    Foxbase code, however would run pretty nicely under VFP. So, if your main concern is to get the app you have running soon under VFP, and time spent is an issue, you can certainly try and 'port' your prg files to VFP. You'll be missing alot though.
    Currently I have an application which was written in Foxbase, converted to a "Hybrid". Some of the code is rewritten in VFP, and most of the older prgs run with little change.

Good luck,
    Alen.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Tony,

If you like programming, then I suggest not to convert to foxpro for windows but VFP instead. Foxpro always had its backward compatibility (with some unavoidable changes) and therefore it'd need some work on it to go from Foxplus to FPW and then from FPW to VFP. I'd instead do FP to VFP skipping FPW, in other words. Thinking the limits of Foxplus it'd be a real pleasure at the end (but a pain at the start to understand all those changes from procedural to OOP).

There are some migration tools but all my projects ended up with a rewrite from scratch (and I think it'd be the best for you too).

Probably starting with a book would be right. Check hentzenwerke.com for VFP books.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:13 PM
  • I also recommend not to do it that way. Don't go to FoxPro for Windows (FPW). It is a very old and very obsolete, unsupported version.

GotoVisual FoxPro (VFP) 9.0 SP1 (the latest version) instead. OOP and very powerful.

As you see in this thread, the recommendation is not to convert. OK. The business login, some code and routines in XBASE will stil work. Ther interface must be totally redone. That said, I would strongly advice redoing the whole program, routines, functions/programs included using OOP and OOAD.  There are sites online and books with info on how to learn this.

One place to start is the best repository of Visual FoxPro information, the FoxPro Wiki: http://fox.wikis.com

If stuck with a particular problem, feel free to ask here.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Simply start Vfp9 and do the same command as you use in old foxplus. it will run smoothly.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:16 AM