Battery failure upon putting Windows 8 to sleep

Question

• I recently installed Windows 8 and upon trying to put the OS to sleep, my notebook's battery failed. The OS had not problem going to sleep, but upon attempts to wake it up, there was no response and the blinking power light went off. The PC wouldn't even start up now.

That was until I removed the battery and installed it again.

Now the OS works perfectly, but the bottomline is that the OS can't be put to sleep.

What is the issue here? And is there any solution?

I am using a Sony Vaio VPCSB16FG.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hello umangs94,

Since you have already reported this in the Connect Feedback and we have given a variety of troubleshooting steps to try, there is not much we can do to get it working.

I suggest you check with Sony support and post in the Sony forum to see if there is any advise they can provide.
    Since this is a Pre-Beta release Sony may not be able to help with the issue.

Sincerely,  

Marilyn
    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Okay, thank you for all your help.

There is clearly an issue with Windows 8 and the AMD Radeon HD 6750M in my PC. When I tried to update to the latest driver using Device Manager's "Search automatically for updates," the same screen flickering issue that I have described above started happening again after the driver was installed. And then I had to System Restore back.

Friday, October 28, 2011 9:47 AM

All replies

• Umangs94,

Check out the following KB to see if that helps and let me know the results:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617868

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Nope, that update was installed before. The problem is that upon waking the PC, it goes completely dead. Pressing the power button or any other key does not do anything. I have to reset the battery to start using the PC again.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:45 PM
  • umangs94,

Have you always have this issue on Windows Developer Preview or were you able to wake it up from sleep without having to reset the battery?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:09 PM
    Answerer
  • The PC can sleep fine on Win7, but it has had this problem ever since I installed Win8 last week. To clarify, this issue occurs only with Win8. 
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:14 PM
  • umangs94,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:41 PM
    Answerer
  • I have done that.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Umangs94,

Have you tried a refresh to see if this alleviates your problem?

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Nope, the problem is still there.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 4:41 AM
  • Hey Umangs94,

Try checking to see if there is a newer version of your motherboard's BIOS. You can do this by visiting the link below and navigating to your computer's downloads.
    Sony eSupport - Computers

For instructions on how to update your motherboard's BIOS, check your computer's user manual or you may be able to find instructions from the site that is linked above.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, October 17, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I upgraded the BIOS but the problem is still there.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Since you are using the Sony Vaio VPCSB16FG, are you using the battery mode for Stamina or Speed mode?
    In the Stamina mode it switches you to Balanced Power Profile.
    In the Speed mode, it disableds all Power profiles.

Do you see a difference when you use a different battery mode?

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:28 PM
  • I think there is definitely some incompatibility with the graphic card, because the screen begins flickering when switching to the Speed mode.

The graphic card that I am using is an AMD Radeon HD 6470M.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:45 PM
  • I suggest you check on the Sony Support site and download the most current video card drivers for Windows 7 for your Sony Vaio VPCSB16FG.

Since the manufacturers have not created drivers for Windows Developers Preview, I suggest you update to the most current Windows 7 driver.
    If that doesn't work, they try to install in compatibility mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

·         Enter the Start screen
    ·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    ·         Select Search
    ·         Type Compatibility
    ·         Click Settings in the right column
    ·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows
    ·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:26 PM
  • The driver won't install in compatibility mode and without that, the install fails with the error: "Driver Install: the driver package does not specify a hardware identifier"

Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Hey Umangs94,

Let's try installing the driver that is available from AMD's website to see if that is able to successfully install:
    AMD - Graphic Drivers & Support

Also when using the compatibility troubleshooter, check to be sure that you are choosing the option that says This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now if the driver is only available for another version of Windows (Windows 7 for example).

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Nope, since this is a Sony Vaio, only the Sony drivers work.

And yes, that is exactly what I did.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hey Umangs94,

One of the drivers may not be properly handling power management, try changing your power options plan to High Performance to see if the same problem occurs when you try to wake the computer from sleep.

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Power Options
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Power Options
    • If you see Show addition plans in this screen, click the down arrow
    • Click High performance under Hide additional plans

Then test to see if the same problem occurs.

Steven
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Actually, I am already using High Performance.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hello umangs94,

Since you have already reported this in the Connect Feedback and we have given a variety of troubleshooting steps to try, there is not much we can do to get it working.

I suggest you check with Sony support and post in the Sony forum to see if there is any advise they can provide.
    Since this is a Pre-Beta release Sony may not be able to help with the issue.

Sincerely,  

Marilyn
    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Okay, thank you for all your help.

There is clearly an issue with Windows 8 and the AMD Radeon HD 6750M in my PC. When I tried to update to the latest driver using Device Manager's "Search automatically for updates," the same screen flickering issue that I have described above started happening again after the driver was installed. And then I had to System Restore back.

Friday, October 28, 2011 9:47 AM