none
System.Data.OracleClient Problem

Question

•  

Hi all,

I have been using System.Data.OracleClient for a while now. My application worked fine until things became more complicated. I recently started getting errors/unsupported features using MS OracleClient. Features such as, the OracleConnection not supporting

OracleConnection.ProxyUserId

OracleConnection.ProxyPassword

OracleConnection.OpenWithNewPassword

and more.

Unfortunately, MS OracleClient does not support these features.

Is there an update/patch somewhere where I can download and be able to use these features?

Thanks.

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:19 PM

Answers

• I would not call these features missing because Oracle implemented them as part of ODP which is an Oracle developed native .NET provider, if you use other RDBMS that just uses Microsoft ODBC provider you will see that most classes and methods available to SQL Server and Oracle does not exist.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:07 AM

All replies

• These keywords are native to ODP.NET because it let you do things the Microsoft provider does not support so you have to do some research before you do data access with Oracle.  Microsoft and Oracle are not the only Oracle providers there are expensive third party drivers that comes with more features.

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Thanks.

So based from what you're saying is that MS Oracle Client will not be updated to have these missing features? And I would have to depend on some other 3rd Party Provider.

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:38 PM
  • I would not call these features missing because Oracle implemented them as part of ODP which is an Oracle developed native .NET provider, if you use other RDBMS that just uses Microsoft ODBC provider you will see that most classes and methods available to SQL Server and Oracle does not exist.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:07 AM