Can not find keycodev2.dll, or invalid keycode

Question

• When deploying a Windows app to our production server.  I get the following error when trying to print "Can not find keycodev2.dll, or invalid keycode".  I have tried adding the registration merge module to the program with no success.  I even was going to try the solution from the crnet_keycodev2.pdf until I got the the part where it tells you to add the ASPNET user account.  This server is in not connected to the internet (and never will be). 

How do I fix this.  Please point me to a solution that will work for a Windows application.  This program will not be used on the Web.

Thanks

David Davis
    Monday, May 16, 2005 6:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello David,

Have you tried the deployment whitepaper? It is a great resource for deploying Crystal Reports windows or web applications and Visual Studio .NET.

http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/TechnicalPapers/crnet_deployment.pdf

Keith - Business Objects
    Monday, May 16, 2005 7:42 PM
  • Hello,

Keith Thomson wrote:
    Have you tried the deployment whitepaper? It is a great resource for deploying Crystal Reports windows or web applications and Visual Studio .NET.

i'm having the same problem in a web application, but my scenario is i'm developing across a network (via file share) and don't know how to actually "deploy the runtimes to the project file server"??? (quoted from the whitepaper)

I'm interested in applying this method to deployment as well, since i'm used to deploy as loose uncompressed files with no bootstrapper... is this a bad practice?

Thanks a lot in advance. -LV
    Monday, October 03, 2005 6:19 PM
  • Also, i don't understand how am i supposed to deploy a report-enabled web site (i actually need export only, no viewing) on a remote server with just FTP access, a common scenario under basic hosting providers...

Thanks. -LV
    Monday, October 03, 2005 6:29 PM
  • Hello,

Deploying the application is easy once the runtime is on the web server. 

The hosting provider will need to ensure that the runtime is installed on the web server (or the owner/admin of the box).  This would be similar to getting the .NET Framework installed on a Windows 2000 Server before running a Visual Studio .NET 2003 application.  Or having MYSQL installed on the server if your application uses MYSQL as a database.

Keith - Business Objects
    Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:52 PM
  • Hi Keith,

thanks for answering.

> Deploying the application is easy once the runtime is on the web server. 
    > This would be similar to getting the .NET Framework installed

Ok, fine, but where's the CR installer after all? Hope you are not referring to merge modules...

BTW, i've worked around having the staging server run the site: i've deployed the application in debug config and... installed it over itself! But i suspect this is an awful practice, since installation locks some application features (not yet realized exactly which), and if i unadvertently uninstall, i'm losing all content files... Maybe should i setup a deployment project with just merge modules in it?

Hope you can tell me where to find the CR installer or any better way to go.

-LV
    Wednesday, October 05, 2005 2:10 PM
  • While waiting for any pointer to an installer (but i can have missed your point here), i seem to have found a quite clean work-around to "make it at home" and develop across a network.

I've built a web deployment project just embedding the CR needed merge modules in a setup file.

I can run the setup over any existing (not tried on not existing) virtual folders, and it doesn't anymore interfere with my application files. One just has to remember to re-set virtual folder configuration, because the setup overwrites it.

I can run the setup on existing projects on a development server (for development across network), and can embed its built outputs into other deployment web setup projects instead of embedding the single merge modules (this requires the projects being included into the same solution).

There seems to be no way to deploy as loose files.

If anyone knows of any better solution, please let me know.

Hope this can be of some help in the meantime. -LV
    Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:41 PM
  • "I've built a web deployment project just embedding the CR needed merge modules in a setup file."

How to add the CR needed merge modules?
    is it possible that you provide a detail steps in doing it...

Thanks for your help..

Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:37 AM
  • Hello tassie,

that was basically born as a work-around for development across network in aspnet 1. You can get most additional details from the white paper Keith has posted above. Btw, if you are not developing across a network share, this all might just be unnecessary.

Simply to the point, in my vs 2003 the scenario looks like this: A) a web project for the application; B) a web setup project for application deployment; C) an additional web setup project dedicated to cr.net deployment.

A) Web project

In web.config:
    <compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true">
        <assemblies>
            <add assembly="CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

</assemblies>
    </compilation>

In web references:
    CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine
    CrystalDecisions.ReportSource
    CrystalDecisions.Shared
    CrystalDecisions.Web

B) App setup project

Here you just have to remember to exclude the autodetected dependency to cr, since you are going to do it at home...

C) CR setup project

Here you need a web setup project where you specify a setup file for package and include the needed merge modules (and keycode). You will find them into your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules or something like that...

This said, the logic to make this all work requires few steps:

1) build project C and get the generated setup file; that is your cr installer;

2) run the cr installer on the target server; you are required to enter a virtual folder name: leave it blank to install under root; keep in mind the installer creates or overwrites an application entry under the first running site in the IIS list, so you have to eventually stop running servers above yours in the list before running the installer; keep also in mind you have to check your site/virtual folder properties because the installer overwrites some of them.

3) Now, if this were for development across network, possibly the web application was already there, and you are doing this cr install over an existing folder (that is the one with your source code); in this case just remember to reset folder properties. For deployment to the production (final) server, you just need the extra step of installing the application setup from project B, and that can even be loose files.

Hope this is clear enough and that i've nothing forgotten, anyway... here we are :)

-LV

Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:07 PM
  • Do the foolowing steps

1.....Register the crystal reports with ur email

2.......U will be given a Registration number and crystal reports Licesnse key in ur mail box

3.......go to the solution explore of ur project right click on the solution explorer and add new project

3.1then select setup and deploy projects and  setup projects in right box choose the correct folder to save ur setup then ok

3.right click on the setup in the solution explorer and add the crystal reports which u need by add file

and also add the exe from the bin folder

4.Then right click on the setup and add following  merge modules Database_Access.msm,Database_Access_enu.msm,regwiz.msm,Managed.msm

5.right click on the regwiz.msm and select properties one option will be there

as 'mergemoduleproperties'

and give the license key of the report which is given to ur mail not thr regno

6 if u lost the license key then go to ur application -help-about microsoft development environment

there u can see the crystal report lisence key

copy thet exact key alone and paste in the 'mergemoduleproperties' license key property box

7.then build the set up by right clicking on it and select build

8 now where u saved the setup at the beginning go that folder and copy the setup and paste in the client machine and install it

9 tthis set up will work with .net framework only

Friday, December 01, 2006 10:58 AM
  • Hi David

The One Simple solution to  this.. You can just uninstall your Visual studio and Install it again it may help you.Any queries Let me know

Regards

Dan

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:45 AM