none
Disable Desktop Activity Monitor (DAM)

Question

• The company I work for sells a kiosk-like device that we are in the process of porting to Windows 8 Embedded from Windows 7 Embedded and to the Dell Latitude 10 hardware platform.

In power-sensitive (aka battery powered) hardware in the past we have turned off the display to conserve power after a period of inactivity. In the background we have to maintain sessions, communicate with other systems, completely shut off the system, and possibly even turn the screen back on.

However, with DAM, the process that does all of this is essentially being put to sleep as soon as the monitor is turned off. How can we either:

• Turn off the screen without DAM being activated, at least for a configurable period of time
    • Disable DAM for a specific process
    • Disable DAM for the entire system

I've seen the tips about running "sc config dam start=disabled" but as many others have observed, this does not fix the problem.

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:11 PM

All replies

•  Not sure if it makes a difference, but my understanding is that DAM is invoking "Connected Standby."

One of the more comprehensive discussions I've been able to find on the subject is Windows 8 Connected Standby and AOAC, where they indicate it cannot be disabled.

Particularly for embedded applications this seems like a major oversight. I know for my needs, we like the form factor of the Tablet, we aren't actually as concerned about battery life as standard consumer use of the Tablet would be.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:57 PM