This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem

Question

• I created a program with managed code in visual C++. Its just an executable file, with no installation. It runs on my computer flawlessly but when I try it on a different computer, I get an error. Both my computers are Windows XP. I used Visual C++ 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP   to make the program.

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

On the computer with the error, I have 3.5 .net framework and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Runtime Libraries installed
    I still get the error.

I tried to look for what my program is dependent on using Dependency Walker. This is what I got:
    "Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module."

I do not know what else I can do. Please help me!

Here are my Includes:
    #include <iostream> 
    #include <time.h> 
    #include <windows.h> 
    #include <string> 
    #include <vector> 
    #include <fstream> 

Here are the files used when building the program:
    app.ico 
    app.rc 
    AssemblyInfo.cpp 
    Form1.h 
    Form1.resX 
    IDs.txt 
    Raid Joiner.cpp 
    resource.h 
    stdafx.cpp 
    stdafx.h 

Saturday, February 07, 2009 4:58 PM

Answers

• Be sure to copy your Release build, the Debug build won't work.  Dependency Walker cannot diagnose problems with manifested programs, you are better off not using it anymore.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Reconmiester Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:34 PM
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:13 PM

All replies

• On the computer that the program does not work on, this is what I get from Dependency Walker:

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\documents and settings\ps\desktop\PROGRAM.EXE" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).
    Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

In the window above, MPR.DLL has a red window symbol with a sand timer. When I click it, I noticed a red C box corresponding to WNetRestoreConnectionA.

Help?

• Proposed as answer by tamerlan888 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:11 PM
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Be sure to copy your Release build, the Debug build won't work.  Dependency Walker cannot diagnose problems with manifested programs, you are better off not using it anymore.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Reconmiester Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:34 PM
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Wow, I can not believe I missed such a simple solution. Thank you so much for your help!
    • Proposed as answer by SuperPits Friday, June 01, 2012 6:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SuperPits Friday, June 01, 2012 6:57 PM
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:34 PM
  • did you solve that problem yet?  If you do, please help me out here because I got the same issue

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:17 PM
  • For other n00bs like me , He means that when you press debug button select Release not Build and then your application will work fine .

Ty , nobugz

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:38 AM