Installation failed with 0x8007000D - Cannot open required file E:\Sources\install.wim

Question

• I'm using a USB flash drive to try to install Windows 8 64-bit with tools but it's failing with this message:

"Windows cannot open the required file E:\Sources\install.wim.  Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.  Error code: 0x8007000D"

Do I need to use a DVD-9?  I currently don't have a DVD-9 and using a USB seemed really convenient.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:06 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply Ben.

I've checked the hash using FCIV and it looks fine.

I recreated the bootable USB flash drive by using the following tool http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool and it appears to work fine (although I'm running into the "Select the driver to be installed" problem).

I used PowerISO previously which I have just uninstalled.  PowerISO appears to create an erroneous bootable USB flash drive.

Now, I'll look up how to get past this driver issue in the other existing threads.

Thanks all!

• Marked as answer by bri_connect Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:01 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• Hi, bri_connect,

Are you installing from a Windows Environment (such as Windows 7) or are you trying to boot from the USB with Windows Developer Preview?  There are a couple possibilities that could cause this error, with the most likely one being a possible bad copy or a problem with the USB itself.  I would recommend trying from a bootable DVD if the USB is giving you trouble.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Thanks for the response Gregory.  I've tried both installing from the Windows 7 environment and by booting from the USB with Windows Dev Preview.  This is a brand new 8GB USB and I've tried copying the image over twice.

I don't have access to a DVD-9 but I'll try to look for one.

So can you confirm that the installation of WDP 64-bit with Tools has worked with a USB drive for others?  Thanks!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Have you checked the hash of the file you downloaded against the hash listed on the download page? It's possible you might have a corrupt/incomplete image.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Ben.

I've checked the hash using FCIV and it looks fine.

I recreated the bootable USB flash drive by using the following tool http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool and it appears to work fine (although I'm running into the "Select the driver to be installed" problem).

I used PowerISO previously which I have just uninstalled.  PowerISO appears to create an erroneous bootable USB flash drive.

Now, I'll look up how to get past this driver issue in the other existing threads.

Thanks all!

• Marked as answer by bri_connect Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:01 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Glad you got past it, Bri_connect. 
    Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:04 PM